Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2018, 05:01 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Oh, baloney.

While there are several definitions of lie -- to be in a horizontal resting position, have sexual intercourse with, be out of commission, ... lie is most often used to refer to an:

"An inaccurate or false statement; a falsehood."

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/lie

While some lies are intentional, others may be based on false information.

For example, one might repeat false information read on Brietbart. Your intention might be to clear up a situation rather than deceive, but it is still a lie regardless of your intention.

To claim that we can't call Trump's out for a lie because we aren't psychic and can't know if his intention was to deceive is ridiculous on the face of it.

He lied about being in Scotland ahead of time and lied about accurately predicting the Brexit vote.

Regardless of whether Trump intended to deceive or was merely staying in practice makes no difference.

He lied.

LOL From your own link:

Quote:
1An intentionally false statement.

I did a ctrl-f of your own link for your definition: "An inaccurate or false statement; a falsehood." and came up empty. Say, did you just tell a LIE????

Anyway, thanks for proving my point. If you can't prove intent, it's not a 'lie.' I never would have guessed that a debate over a simple definition of a simple word would last more than 2 posts. But then this is CD, and you are a CD liberal. LOL, this has been fun.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:33 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Of course he did. & does. & will continue to do.

These other lame-a$$ defenses? Long story short: are distinctions without a difference period full-stop.

Short story long (not really) Sophistry. & more sophistries. It's 'Turtles all the way down' level sophistries.

(By the way: How you doing? Appreciate your posts here! )
Thanks, I do what I can.

I'm always amazed at how much effort is put into spreading nonsense.

"Common sense is not that common." Voltaire

Old 07-20-2018, 05:41 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,436,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Love it when Trump gets caught with his comments on audio tape. So sad!
He still tries to spin it into Fakenews

Old 07-20-2018, 06:36 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,966 times
And now, apparently there are many tapes. Oh, this is going to be delicious. And unlike Nixon's tapes, I bet there are no 18 second gaps, although, I also bet there are a lot of 'expletive deleted' content.

Teee heee.

It's not just one tape

Old 07-20-2018, 07:50 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,212,614 times
The liar has come out with all sorts of lies to try and deflect from his Putin problem. Last Monday was the day his administration came to a close.

Putin wanted Trump to win, he admitted it. Putin helped Trump win, he admitted it. Trump is Putin's puppet.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:01 PM

1,923 posts, read 84,083 times
I say Putin has a strong hold on Trump..can't wait and see if he brings This Dictator Putin to the USA..Oh boy this is really looking bad

Old 07-20-2018, 10:46 PM

26,563 posts, read 14,441,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
But I can tell you that if you can't prove intent to deceive, you can't call it a lie. And so far no one can.

assuming that trump's original intent was not a lie it becomes a lie by omission once he realizes the information is false and he does nothing to correct it.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:21 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,297 times
Even if we accepted this new definition of having to prove that every one was deliberately meant to deceive, that would still leave the actual false statements he makes. Looks quite incompetent that he is constantly saying things that are not correct, then.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:26 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,225,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Even if we accepted this new definition of having to prove that every one was deliberately meant to deceive, that would still leave the actual false statements he makes. Looks quite incompetent that he is constantly saying things that are not correct, then.
I know ALL politicians lie, but even IF Donny T wasn't POTUS, it's a sad state of affairs when you have to prove someone is telling the truth as a default, over the assumption that they are ALWAYS lying.

For anyone paying attention, he has a long history of dishonesty, hell, he's known more for being a schyster than a reputable, ethical, do gooder, period.

Lying should NEVER be the default position, especially when in a position such as POTUS.

This is an attempt to normalize something that SHOULD NOT be normal. It's exhausting, but people can't get complacent about it.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:30 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,436,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
I know ALL politicians lie, but even IF Donny T wasn't POTUS, it's a sad state of affairs when you have to prove someone is telling the truth as a default, over the assumption that they are ALWAYS lying.

For anyone paying attention, he has a long history of dishonesty, hell, he's known more for being a schyster than a reputable, ethical, do gooder, period.

Lying should NEVER be the default position, especially when in a position such as POTUS.

This is an attempt to normalize something that SHOULD NOT be normal. It's exhausting, but people can't get complacent about it.
Wholehearted ly agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies