Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2018, 11:33 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,012,265 times

Advertisements

Old 05-01-2018, 11:36 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Didn't you hear? White people are only allowed to wear t-shirts and blue jeans.
And if a Chinese does it...let's call it cultural appropriation.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:36 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Are you denying that I have a legitimate point by making a stereotype joke? What is black cultural attire? Pants sagging exposing boxers? I should be offended at my last white plumber.

These whack jobs wouldn't be offended by a Japanese man wearing lederhosen.

Nor would they be offended by a Nigerian wearing a tuxedo.

Nor would they be offended by a Chinese guy wearing a cowboy suit.

Nor would they be offended by a Middle Easterner dressed like a Pilgrim.

Let's go protest on a Brazilian beach that the bikini is not a part of their culture initially...no one ever said.

If you are truly for multicultural diversity you can't attack someone for cultural appropriation over wearing a Chinese dress while white.

Culture evolves and spreads with human contact. You can't want globalism without global culture.

"Cultural appropriation" is a hypocritical one way street.

What is next for leftist bizzaro world? Cultural appropriation for being white while eating Chinese food?
So it was a stereotype joke? Because it seems that you said that comment with total seriousness.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:37 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
They are referencing a popular YouTube channel, H3H3 Productions. The girls are doing "Papa Bless" and the guys are doing "Vape Nation".
Which are what, exactly? And how is what the girls doing offensive or insulting to Asians?

Old 05-01-2018, 11:43 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Isn’t food part of culture ?

If you instagram or post on Twitter a picture of yourself eating or cooking Chinese food would that be cultural appropriation.

Many Chinese American families would lose their livelihoods and go out of business if white people stopped buying Chinese food .

Old 05-01-2018, 11:52 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,076,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Which are what, exactly? And how is what the girls doing offensive or insulting to Asians?
I said what they were: a reference to a specific Youtuber and videos he made.

Vape Nation | Know Your Meme
H3H3's Papa Bless | Know Your Meme

And I never said they were insulting to Asians. They have nothing to do with Asians..

Old 05-01-2018, 11:53 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
There is a difference between "cultural appropriation" (which is bs) and actual racist or stereotyping actions. Two totally different things. Nobody has any business telling someone what they cant eat, wear, listen to, watch, or read in the name of cultural appropriation. If you want to walk around speaking with over the top accents or making gestures or taking other actions intended to mimic a stereotype of another culture thats different.
So you think the entire issue of cultural appropriation is BS? No matter the specifics? That says a lot about where you stand.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:55 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
I don't think that people not of that heritage, religion, race or culture have the right to speak to what's cultural appropriation and what is not. Since I'm not Chinese, I can't tell my Chinese friends how, why and when they should be offended about appropriation. People not of that culture's opinion is mute, period.
I see your point and I understand exactly what you mean. I agree to a certain degree.

I have 1/4 Japanese blood in me, I think nobody has the right to tell me HOW I should feel about my heritage. However, this said, I don't think I have the right to tell others, "I am offended by your comments, therefore you are a racist. If you don't admit that you are a racist, then you must be playing dumb."

I have the right to be offended by whatever the reasons, but others have the right to at least defend themselves. Nobody is the mind reader here. Who knows when, how, and where somebody would be offended by something.

It just seems to me that everybody is subject to public opinion. If "they" think you are a racist, then you must be. guilty until proven innocence. (and It is impossible to prove their innocence most of the time.) This is the scary part.

The more we do this kind of ridiculous thing, the worse the situation is going to be.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:58 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,975,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
So you think the entire issue of cultural appropriation is BS? No matter the specifics? That says a lot about where you stand.
99% of it yes, especially in the case of this girl. I've seen people try to shut down food trucks and restaurants because of it too, it is beyond ridiculous. I have as much respect for where you "think I stand" as I do for the person who ripped this girl on Twitter over the dress, I hope that tells you a lot more about me.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:58 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
I said what they were: a reference to a specific Youtuber and videos he made.

Vape Nation | Know Your Meme
H3H3's Papa Bless | Know Your Meme

And I never said they were insulting to Asians. They have nothing to do with Asians..
Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you had said that. Other posters have said that what the girls are doing is insulting to Asians, and for the life of me I can't figure out why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies