Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2018, 02:36 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,126,254 times

Advertisements

The only instance of cultural appropriation would be situations like Rachel Dolezal who made herself look more like The Simpson's Sideshow Bob character than anything else.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:38 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
In your opinion. Is your's the only one that counts?
Its as if you forgot what you read 30 seconds ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I actually do care what most people think, most people are open minded, understanding, and in many cases flattered when someone shows genuine interest or appreciation for their culture.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
"Makes her hair straight" as in wears a wig? Because that's how 99% of them make it straight. It's total cultural appropriation, on par with what it would be like if all White people ran around with Afro and dreadlock wigs.

I also much prefer the natural look.

All of that being said, in reality I could care less and actually feel bad for them. A wig is a huge pain in the neck to maintain.

It also shows how silly all of this is.
The chicks I've dated in the past that did the hair straightening thing use a relaxer in their hair. It's their real hair, just made straight. They didn't do it for me, they had been doing it long before I met them.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
"Makes her hair straight" as in wears a wig? Because that's how 99% of them make it straight. It's total cultural appropriation, on par with what it would be like if all White people ran around with Afro and dreadlock wigs.

I also much prefer the natural look.

All of that being said, in reality I could care less and actually feel bad for them. A wig is a huge pain in the neck to maintain.

It also shows how silly all of this is.
Actually in the early 80's lots of white people ran around with Afros. Even before that in the late 60's during the hippy era, lots of white guys had afros. I've seen album covers from that era with white guys in full-on afro's.

Since the 90's there's been a boom in white people with their hair in dreadlocks.

There was a time when one identifying physical trends with the Yakuza was wearing their hair in a afro style.

One thing for sure, I've never complained about any of this stuff on any person, regardless who it is. Stupid argument to say someone can't wear what they want.

Old 05-01-2018, 02:57 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times

Old 05-01-2018, 03:00 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
No, I didn't forget. I am just trying to make you understand that making a comment - that someone should be sensitive to other cultures is not "hateful" as you seem to think. But again, that's OK. Take care.
And my point is that we don't need to cater to this crazy fringe that somehow thinks a teenage girl picking the prettiest dress she can find for one of the most important dates in her young life is somehow a hate filled insensitive decision with mal-intent. Its absolutely none of those things.

There is a small fraction of the population driving this and they deserve to be called out for the crazy and poorly thought out "issue" that they claim this to be.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:07 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Well it is a better reason than sheer stupidity.
It's not stupid to have an opinion. I mean, if your opinion differed from mine, I would not automatically call it stupid just because I disagreed with it.

I think that's a bit harsh.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Yeah, pretty sad.

I think your mixed child is entitled to his or her opinion as well. It is a challenge growing up as a mixed child. I can relate.

This said, I think the scary part is that every single one of us is subject to public opinion. If "They" think you are a racist, then you must be. This is the scariest part for me.

I sure hope and pray we can all figure out how to focus more on loving one another instead of being fearful and judgmental….for the sake of humanity at least.

To me, this girl just wants to share her special moment. Nothing more/less. Why can't people just send her a quick note "You look great, enjoy your day." what exactly did she do just ... soo.... wrong? I can never figure this out.
I think because the internet isn't always very nice.

I have learned so much about how nasty people can be toward other people on the internet. I cannot imagine a reason to be hateful to a teenager over a dress or a pose in a photo. I can imagine not thinking one or both was exactly "okay," but that's not being hateful, it's just having an opinion.

I can appreciate the challenges you had growing up as a mixed child. Being a mother to mixed kids has been a real eye opener.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Exactly. Notice how they never claim "cultural appropriation" when a black chick makes her hair straight? Personally, I think black chicks who straighten their hair look so beautiful compared to how it looks naturally.

This story also reminds me of back when I was traveling the world. I had sent my little sister one of those dresses that I had purchased during one of my stays in Hong Kong. She loved it and actually wore it around sometimes. No one complained about it then, and actually she got lots of positive attention while wearing it. Times have definitely changed since then. Can't believe how ridiculous society has gotten in the last 20 - 25 years. Amazing.
I can help you with that hair straightening thing.

Nobody claims "cultural appropriation" over hair straightening because it originated as a result of black women having to bow to white norms to be accepted.

Your statement up top there makes it pretty clear. You think their hair looks better straight than natural.

I like natural hair on a black person. It's really lovely.

But, ultimately, I like their hair however THEY like it.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
More likely this girl looked so good other girls were jealous but wanted to disguise their feelings by being social justice warriors and virtue signalling. Follow them around and when one eats sushi post her pic and shame her.

I hope some girls wear saris and hula skirts to prom. Let the fun begin!
A guy was the first person to call her out, not a girl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies