Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2018, 08:44 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why would a white girl wear a Chinese dress to a U.S. high school prom? Seems like she is just another student brain washed by liberals making a political statement based on the so-called greatness of diversity. If she were a Chinese student I'd understand it and wouldn't have a problem with it but this....?
Holy crap I think you just flipped this whole thread on it's head with this post. lol It was just starting to wind down too.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:45 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
The best part of america are the freedom of expression, and freedom to be ignorant.

she does look good in that dress though.

I can understand that she might have sinned in the eyes of Asians, but I'm on the side of DGAF, because America.
Actually, Asians, particularly the Chinese, are fine with it.

It's some Americans that look like Asians who are having a problem with it.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:47 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
What offends you about listening to others, discussing diverse viewpoints, acknowledging viewpoints that differ from yours, and happily co-existing without judging and criticizing views that differ?
I think you've been pretty adept on here of judging and critizing views that differ from your own. You accused a high school girl of being "brash" for innocently choosing to wear a Chinese-inspired dress. Considering you don't even live in the US, where this young woman lives and where the silly online uproar originated, it appears that you might also be guilty of "cultural appropriation."

Old 05-03-2018, 08:48 AM

Well, gee. I guess my daughter was wrong when she visited China while in high school and returned with a whole suitcase of appropriated culture.

I've got a picture of her in her qipao on my desk.

I'd probably better put it away.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:50 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
White girls shouldn't be wearing Chinese dresses. Guess this is one issue that old school race guys and far left progressives can agree on.
Not this progressive. I think it was a beautiful dress and anyone offended by it ~ for whatever reason ~ is dumb and dumber.

Then again, I am not on board with the whole 'cultural appropriation' thing. We are supposed to be a melting pot, yes?

Old 05-03-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Not this progressive. I think it was a beautiful dress and anyone offended by it ~ for whatever reason ~ is dumb and dumber.

Then again, I am not on board with the whole 'cultural appropriation' thing. We are supposed to be a melting pot, yes?
The first time I heard the term "cultural appropriation," it had to do with Navajo Indians complaining about white-owned companies mass producing their jewelry designs and selling them cheaply as "Navajo Jewelry."

Totally understandable in that context.

'Way back in the 80s, black women were annoyed when Bo Derek achieved sudden fame wearing cornrows--with little acknowledgement from her or the media that it was a hair style originated by black women. It wasn't called "cultural appropriation" back then.

However....

At that same time, US military regulations explicitly prohibited cornrowing by black women, despite the fact that it's an eminently practical hairstyle for a military woman (easy to care for out in the field, fits under a helmet, doesn't get in the way, et cetera).

The military's problem with the cornrow was that it was "too extreme." But the appropriation of the style by the general American culture put it into the mainstream, and today it's permitted in the military.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:02 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why would a white girl wear a Chinese dress to a U.S. high school prom? Seems like she is just another student brain washed by liberals making a political statement based on the so-called greatness of diversity. If she were a Chinese student I'd understand it and wouldn't have a problem with it but this....?
And why not? She is a young pretty girl, she likes how she looks, others like it too, she is experimenting stuff for the joy of herself and her male admirers. What on earth is wrong with that?

Old 05-03-2018, 09:04 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
When and where did this such "example" happen?
In more than one office to more than one black woman I know personally.

So, yes... it does actually happen.

I'm white and I know we get more of a pass when it comes to our hair. As long as it's clean, nobody says much, really.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
SJWs have nothing better to do than pretend that other cultures can't speak for themselves.
Especially since the Chinese totally intend to do as much appropriation as they want.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:27 AM

26,469 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I've already addressed the bagpipe thing. *Shrug* You might not be able to identify with my mild annoyance -- which you're making a much bigger deal of than I ever have -- if you're an American of many generations.

It mildly annoys me because the subtext of any cultural discussion in the US or Canada is often that people of European (and particularly British) descent are somehow more "racist" and "culturally ignorant" than is anyone else. European ancestry -- deconstructed to the homogenous "white" check box in the US -- is often demonized. That is, until such time that some aspect of European heritage gets pulled out for a festivity or official event, and then, suddenly, it's celebrated.

Again, that's just an observation. Reread my posts. Then reread your post to me. I'm not the one who sounds "too sensitive."
Just correctly pointing out hypocrisy and ignorance, with leftist logic. I wasn't mad at you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies