Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 07:54 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,650,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
This isn’t a liberal or left-wing issue; it’s only relevant to those on the outer fringes.
Thank you. No one --or very few--people go along with this craziness. We all know about left wing and right wing loony extremists. We on the left will ignore the looniness of the extreme right if you will kindly ignore the looniness of those on the extreme left. Truce.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:57 AM

88,953 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Lordie. What about all the hip young Asians that dress like 90's hip hop. With nonsensical english language slogans on them such as "happy life fun party!"
Everyone needs to friggen relax. I wish the internet never happened.
Personally, I like my "Same Same, But Different" tank top. It's a reference to the Thai. I actually got it in Thailand, on Ko Samui. Always a conversation starter when I wear it, and I've met a lot of people that way.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:59 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Lordie. What about all the hip young Asians that dress like 90's hip hop. With nonsensical english language slogans on them such as "happy life fun party!"
Everyone needs to friggen relax. I wish the internet never happened.
My husband and I spent a month in China and had a ridiculously good time wandering through clothing stores that were stocked to the rafters with an endless amount of t-shirts with slogans like "California Love!", "Summer Fashion Fun!" and "Puppy Sweetness" on them. We brought home a bagful of coin purses printed with Chinglish versions of American phrases turned raunchy. Funny stuff.

You'd be hard pressed to find native Chinese offended over an American wearing a qipao. They will happily measure you for one and sew it in a day for you at all the best tailors in China.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:07 AM

9,466 posts, read 10,793,341 times
It’s no ones business how this girl or anybody else dresses. If someone wants to dress in Chinese style, Indian headdress, where black hairdos or borrow any other cultural styles from other groups that is thier business. Mass defiance of political correctness is the only way to stop it.

I have a great idea....every Halloween folks should dress in assorted politically incorrect costumes and have parades through college campuses and the downtowns of “sensitive” liberal cities. It’s time to send the message that we will tolerate this nonsense no more! Political correctness itself is offensive.....it offends freedom itself.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:09 AM

88,953 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
It’s no ones business how this girl or anybody else dresses. If someone wants to dress in Chinese style, Indian headdress, where black hairdos or borrow any other cultural styles from other groups that is thier business. Mass defiance of political correctness is the only way to stop it.
Yep. We have a lot of White local surfers who wear dreads (dreadlocks). No one cares.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:12 AM

36,490 posts, read 30,820,705 times
Quote:

I have a great idea....every Halloween folks should dress in assorted politically incorrect costumes and have parades through college campuses and the downtowns of “sensitive” liberal cities. It’s time to send the message that we will tolerate this nonsense no more! Political correctness itself is offensive.....it offends freedom itself.

I'm in.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:13 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times
Cultural appropriation is only a thing when you take another cultures' product and claim YOU made it or invented it. That doesn't happen very often. It's actually very rare. (Except among the Hoteps and Afrocentrists who have a cottage industry in it, or the Islamopologists who think they invented everything in 700AD).

In the US today you've got Mexicans making Chinese food in restaurants owned by Vietnamese. You've got Iranians running pizza joints named after places in Italy. You have whites running taco stands. You've got black people cooking French food in restaurants owned by multi-national investment groups. Go to any China town and they're practically begging you to buy Asian clothing, jewelry and accessories that they *will not* require you to "know the complex history of" before purchasing.

NONE of that is "cultural appropriation." It is life in a globalized world. It's always some minority in the west who is three steps removed from people ACTUALLY living in the culture that get offended. People who actually are living in the culture almost never ever get offended by this stuff.

Racinating culture is EXACTLY what white nationalists do. So basically leftists who argue about cultural appropriation are essentially demonstrating how similar they are in their thoughts on race to Nazis and the Alt-Right.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:13 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,581,324 times
Quote:

Deliberately offending people is no better than being offended over something that was not done deliberately to offend.

If I like a style, I will wear it. I won't wear it just to **** people off. That seems childish.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:14 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,206,437 times
Boy- someone has too much time on their hands.

I'm pretty liberal by the standards of this site and I do not see how this is appropriation. She isn't mocking anyone, didn't wear an 'Asian' wig, didn't try to wear makeup to look Asian, didn't wear an outfit tied to anyone's oppression, and didn't defile the dress with any inappropriate adornment.

I'm all for ridiculing someone who mocked someone's cultural or religious sensibilities if they did so purposefully but cannot see how this is within a mile of that. And if it was- she's a teenage, a DM or frank conversation would be the more appropriate means of communicating.

FWIW- the slit would not be an issue if they took pictures from normal standing height. Taking posed pictures from below is a little odd. I doubt anyone puts a mirror below them to check appropriateness- although maybe they should.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:16 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,603,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Jeremy Lam needs to change his name or shut the flip up. Last time I looked Jeremy was a name belonging to those of English culture. Asian people are not a part of it.
I know an Asian guy named Jeremy. He's going to be bummed when I tell him he has to change his name to something that matches his ancestry, like Min-jun or Hyun-woo or something. But maybe he'll feel better when I tell him that I'm correcting his parents' mistake in misappropriating English culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.