Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 03:22 PM

19,838 posts, read 12,099,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
They also have only white towels which should be offensive.
Don’t even get me started on the white sheets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 03:22 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
What shampoo do you get in a hotel in say Nigeria or Haiti?
Not sure , but Conan probably had some nice shampoo in his luxury resort in Haiti .

He went there and declared Haiti wasn’t an s hole .

Conan O'Brien at Luxury Resort: 'Haiti Is a Beautiful Country' | Breitbart

Old 05-02-2018, 04:33 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
[quote=jm1982;51779049]

Halsey has defended a tweet in which she called out hotels for not providing shampoo for "people of colour".

The singer, currently on a worldwide tour, tweeted that it was "frustrating that the hotel toiletry industry entirely alienates people of colour".

Old 05-02-2018, 04:36 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Halsey has defended a tweet in which she called out hotels for not providing shampoo for "people of colour".

The singer, currently on a worldwide tour, tweeted that it was "frustrating that the hotel toiletry industry entirely alienates people of colour".
Does not 'people of color' include Asians, Hispanics, Indians, and others? What are the hotels supposed to do--stock a different shampoo for every ethnicity?

I have been trying to get a good working definition from liberals of the term 'people of color.' So far I haven't gotten one. Those who use terms they can't define literally don't know what they're talking about.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:55 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Whenever I try that it dries the heck out of my hair. There's a few general brands that are okay but I never take those chances anymore LOL.

Halsey might be overcompensating just a tad here. Heh. I mean its true but not that serious.
The conditioning V05 shampoos aren't drying.

I have pretty coarse, dry hair and the kiwi/green V05 works well for me. I wash once a week and wash until my hair is squeaky clean then do a deep conditioner (a Treseme' keratin conditioner that cost $4 at Walmart).

I mostly use a very expensive shampoo though as the shampoo is the most important part of my haircare routine. But I also have been natural over 20 years now and don't really follow all the newbie bloggers, vloggers, and advice about hair. It's just hair. Shampoos are not all that much different and most of the national shampoo lines really aren't all that bad.

Most hotels I've been at have Aussie Moist products or their own generic products. I actually used to use Aussie Moist shampoo and conditioner as well until I used and got addicted to Kinky Curly "come clean" shampoo. Also my hair needs a keratin conditioner because it is very dry and so I always use a hair mask and deep condition once a week that is keratin based . I have a Sally's beauty brand right now but don't like it as much as the Treseme. I think because the Sally's one has shea butter in it and butters make it hard for my hair to absorb conditioner so it is not as soft as it is with this one but I'm going to use it until I run out of it then get another Tresemme or Lustrasilk - they have a keratin based hair mask too that is good and not too expensive but it is harder to find.

My Kinky Curly shampoo cost $12 for one small 8oz bottle so it is like gold around here lol.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:57 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post

You are now an honorary black woman. I recognize this struggle LOL. Try a million brands, finally find one that works and it costs three arms and two legs. Oh well, such is life. Hair is picky.
Yeah. Each 33 oz bottle (one for shampoo and another for conditioner) is $80 and that hurts, but they last 2 years bc it's so concentrated, you only need a little.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:03 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I’m gong to assume your hair is short. Black women can’t just use any shampoo and conditioner, but white people can. Having one shampoo in a hotel isn’t racist, but it’s a very small example of white privilege; never having to wonder if hotel shampoo is going to dry your hair out and make it break off. White privilege isn’t being given handouts, it’s walking around in a world that was designed for you.
My hair is to my mid back.

I'm a black woman. My hair has been natural for 22 years and I've used Suave, Aussie Moist, V05, and various other types of cheap shampoos.

Black women can use any shampoo, many just don't want to for particular reasons.

FWIW, I can't use shea butter because it just sits on top of my hair and actually makes it look drier. I can't use coconut oil because it makes my hair hard and dry and my scalp itch.

Both of these are things that black women use a lot but I cannot use. I have thick, what I call "wonderfully nappy" hair and it's been nappy for the majority of my adult life, since I went off to college.

It is silly to think that hair is all that different. Only difference is the oil on the scalp and it travelling down the hair faster for white people.

Now if she was talking about conditioner - I'd agree with her as hotel conditioners usually aren't good at all. But shampoo is shampoo. Conditioner for black women is more important than shampoo since it is more difficult for our natural hair oils (sebum) to travel down the strand of hair.

FWIW there is a method called the "water only wash." It takes away both shampoo and conditioner where you wash with only water and don't even condition. I've done that before too and it works well for a couple of weeks for me but I need a conditioner or my ends with break. I still do it once or twice a year for a couple weeks though as it helps one's curl pattern become more defined. Products weighing down our hair is something that a lot of newbie natural black women are unaware of as a reason why they "don't have a curl pattern" or why they can't use certain products.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:36 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
My hair is to my mid back.

I'm a black woman. My hair has been natural for 22 years and I've used Suave, Aussie Moist, V05, and various other types of cheap shampoos.

Black women can use any shampoo, many just don't want to for particular reasons.

FWIW, I can't use shea butter because it just sits on top of my hair and actually makes it look drier. I can't use coconut oil because it makes my hair hard and dry and my scalp itch.

Both of these are things that black women use a lot but I cannot use. I have thick, what I call "wonderfully nappy" hair and it's been nappy for the majority of my adult life, since I went off to college.

It is silly to think that hair is all that different. Only difference is the oil on the scalp and it travelling down the hair faster for white people.

Now if she was talking about conditioner - I'd agree with her as hotel conditioners usually aren't good at all. But shampoo is shampoo. Conditioner for black women is more important than shampoo since it is more difficult for our natural hair oils (sebum) to travel down the strand of hair.

FWIW there is a method called the "water only wash." It takes away both shampoo and conditioner where you wash with only water and don't even condition. I've done that before too and it works well for a couple of weeks for me but I need a conditioner or my ends with break. I still do it once or twice a year for a couple weeks though as it helps one's curl pattern become more defined. Products weighing down our hair is something that a lot of newbie natural black women are unaware of as a reason why they "don't have a curl pattern" or why they can't use certain products.
Why did I think you were a man? My bad.

My daughter is mostly no-poo, but she swims, so she has to shampoo during the season.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:46 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
The conditioning V05 shampoos aren't drying.

I have pretty coarse, dry hair and the kiwi/green V05 works well for me. I wash once a week and wash until my hair is squeaky clean then do a deep conditioner (a Treseme' keratin conditioner that cost $4 at Walmart).

I mostly use a very expensive shampoo though as the shampoo is the most important part of my haircare routine. But I also have been natural over 20 years now and don't really follow all the newbie bloggers, vloggers, and advice about hair. It's just hair. Shampoos are not all that much different and most of the national shampoo lines really aren't all that bad.

Most hotels I've been at have Aussie Moist products or their own generic products. I actually used to use Aussie Moist shampoo and conditioner as well until I used and got addicted to Kinky Curly "come clean" shampoo. Also my hair needs a keratin conditioner because it is very dry and so I always use a hair mask and deep condition once a week that is keratin based . I have a Sally's beauty brand right now but don't like it as much as the Treseme. I think because the Sally's one has shea butter in it and butters make it hard for my hair to absorb conditioner so it is not as soft as it is with this one but I'm going to use it until I run out of it then get another Tresemme or Lustrasilk - they have a keratin based hair mask too that is good and not too expensive but it is harder to find.

My Kinky Curly shampoo cost $12 for one small 8oz bottle so it is like gold around here lol.
Maybe I’ll get brave and try it again. My hair is the polar opposite of yours... every single time I’d try some random brand from rite aid or a college roommate or whatever it would end with my comb looking like Wolfman Jack’s barber just used it. But I don’t think I ever tried that particular brand. I have a short natural now anyway so I can afford to take chances again. Heh.

A few years ago my niece started selling some super expensive brand of haircare products that was meant to work for everyone. She swore by the stuff and I wanted to support her so I purchased some and used it on me and my daughter. The first time it went well, the second time it was kinda dry, the third time my daughter had 2 bald spots. And I declared myself done with experiments.

I do like Kinky Curly product line though. Less perfume than Carols Daughter, which is generally what I stick to now.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:48 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
This minority shaves his head.

Take that whitey!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies