Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 08:39 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
Do you have evidence for your belief? Also do you honestly think the two men if released wouldn't just go back and continue the cycle?
Continue what cycle? Of meeting their friend lol

People around here are hilarious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 10:40 AM

6,229 posts, read 3,411,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
You sound mad. Hold those tears back.

Entitled brats? The jack*** in New York got drunk and became belligerent and then lied to the police and claimed he was kicked out because of his stupid hat, and then tried to sue (extort). He wasted the time and resources of the police, attorneys and the court and tried to get money out of it.

And you call these guys entitled?

People squat in Starbucks stores and wait for guests in food establishments all the time.

Trump supporters are so delusional.
What does being a Trump supporter have to do with this incident?
Since the owner of Starbucks is a liberal and a democratic supporter and this incident happened in one of his store I believe the fault falls on his liberal employees.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:12 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,174,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
What does being a Trump supporter have to do with this incident?
Since the owner of Starbucks is a liberal and a democratic supporter and this incident happened in one of his store I believe the fault falls on his liberal employees.
Trump supporters (and those who think in their manner) don’t necessarily have to be democrats or republicans, since people from all political parties voted for him.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:12 PM

2,309 posts, read 902,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
The city settled in order to not have a lawsuit.

Odd that many of the posters here were b**ching about how these men would sue to enrich themselves, they get a settlement and do something for their community (which is typical of black people BTW) and then you all are b**ching about the city providing a settlement.

LOL

You all are hilarious.

They paid because the police had no cause to arrest the two men and they were held captive for no reason for over 10 hours. That's why they settled....
They were arrested because they were trespassing. The police gave them multiple opportunities to leave without incident and yet they refused. If ypu want an example on how to protest store policy correctly, take a look at Canada where the same thing happened only instead of refusing to leave, the man left and later fought it in court and won.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:14 AM

195 posts, read 177,873 times
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...06780c%2F&_rdr

Even though he ended up having to apologize, he never took back anything he said in this video. Every word of the issued apology was calculated and carefully chosen due to pressure above his pay grade.

Not only did these men not buy anything but they brought their own water into an establishment that sells water and asked to use the restroom...

These are the kind of Black people that give us all a bad reputation. Despite all the virtue signaling out in the open I know exactly what people think of us when they see things like this; "typical".

Another case of "ain't no shame in my game".

Old 05-05-2018, 08:44 PM

2,309 posts, read 902,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Continue what cycle? Of meeting their friend lol

People around here are hilarious.
Continuing to tresspass on the property. They were asked to leave and they refused.

Old 05-06-2018, 01:28 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanezguitar View Post
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...06780c%2F&_rdr

Even though he ended up having to apologize, he never took back anything he said in this video. Every word of the issued apology was calculated and carefully chosen due to pressure above his pay grade.

Not only did these men not buy anything but they brought their own water into an establishment that sells water and asked to use the restroom...

These are the kind of Black people that give us all a bad reputation. Despite all the virtue signaling out in the open I know exactly what people think of us when they see things like this; "typical".

Another case of "ain't no shame in my game".
I agree and it is a shame that there are people who say "typical" by basing it on the skin color of the individual.

Old 05-06-2018, 04:18 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
I think Philly has opened a can of worms, this sets a very bad precedent.

1) When a business owner in Philly has someone in their establishment who is refusing to leave what do the cops do now?

2) If I'm someone sitting in a private establishment and I'm asked to leave is there not an expectation I can tell them to go pound sand?

--------------

I don't know the whole story here and i realize it's common for Starbucks to allow people to loiter. My questions would be is this a very popular spot, were they taking up space for paying customers during a busy time and does this establishment have a policy of asking non paying customers to leave during busy times?

Old 05-06-2018, 06:32 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I think Philly has opened a can of worms, this sets a very bad precedent.

1) When a business owner in Philly has someone in their establishment who is refusing to leave what do the cops do now?

2) If I'm someone sitting in a private establishment and I'm asked to leave is there not an expectation I can tell them to go pound sand?

--------------

I don't know the whole story here and i realize it's common for Starbucks to allow people to loiter. My questions would be is this a very popular spot, were they taking up space for paying customers during a busy time and does this establishment have a policy of asking non paying customers to leave during busy times?
The police will now hesitate at enforcing a businesses wishes IF the people are Black. In fact they hesitated in this instance, as the talked to the two men for over fifteen minutes telling them to leave, and the consequences. They also had several police officers, and a supervisor there as well. It wasn't a rash decision, and the two men had plenty of time, and chances to just leave. They were making a statement, and probably got a large monetary settlement from Starbucks. Shake Down.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:54 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The police will now hesitate at enforcing a businesses wishes IF the people are Black. In fact they hesitated in this instance, as the talked to the two men for over fifteen minutes telling them to leave, and the consequences. They also had several police officers, and a supervisor there as well. It wasn't a rash decision, and the two men had plenty of time, and chances to just leave. They were making a statement, and probably got a large monetary settlement from Starbucks. Shake Down.
Did you read the title of this thread or the original post? They didn't ask for anything from Starbucks. They talked to the CEO and accepted his apology (with no additional concessions), by all accounts. They settled with the city of Philadelphia for $1 each ($2 total) and $200K to be donated to a program for underserved interested in becoming entrepreneurs. Not exactly a shakedown for money.

I do agree with you that it could create a slippery slope if a bunch of people start coming to Starbucks to hangout (and not buy anything), and it affects space for paying customers. I still think in the original incident if the manager had warned them that she was going to call the cops, that might have diffused things. If there is a capacity issue and paying customers don't have a place to sit and a non-paying customer refuses to leave after being asked several times or if a customer is being unruly, then I don't think the cops should be hesitant in doing their jobs. If it's a situation like the previous, where (by others accounts) there were several other non paying customers, and these 2 were singled out and not even given a head's up that they would have the cops called on them, then that is a situation that management can handle better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies