Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2018, 11:46 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,946,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Speaking of Dutch ovens, it cracks me up to see guys baby their cast iron seasoning. OMG, if one drop of dish detergent comes near that precious surface, the world falls of its access. Hilarious!

As an aside, I know how to take care of cast iron. It's just funny to see them take it so seriously.
That's my dad!!! To a T.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 11:49 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Why can't boys, and men have their own institutions? Boys act differently around girls, and often need a place to just be boys, and have male role models without the involvement of women. I find this entire trend in society disturbing. I am glad I was able to experience scouting before this PC gender crap came into vogue.
This!!!

Old 05-05-2018, 01:40 PM

26,475 posts, read 15,057,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Because no one want to join the girl scouts. If anything this move is forcing the girls scouts to finally make some changes to their program if they don't want to see their enrollment to continue to drop.
If the Boy Scouts are pressured to end their existence as is to admit girls, why shouldn't liberals pressure the Girl Scouts to end their existence as is and admit boys - or perhaps even just merge.

There seems to be a double standard, girls need an organization with just those that identify as girls, while the boys shouldn't have an organization with just those that identify as boys.

Old 05-05-2018, 01:47 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,565,658 times
I was a Girl Scout and no way would I have wanted to join the Boy Scouts. Psychologically, kids need to spend time with same sex peers before they enter puberty. Latency phase, if you remember your Psych 101.

Old 05-05-2018, 03:41 PM

8,167 posts, read 6,918,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
You don't get it. This is not happening because Girl Scouts want to become Boy Scouts. It's happening because of a cultural shift that is beginning to value family activities over individual pursuits. Families with children of both genders are exhausted by being pulled in multiple different directions. A co-ed Scouting program is a way to squeeze more out of the limited time young families have together.
You're right. I don't get it.

Old 05-05-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
oh my goodness. sparrow are you at all connected to scouting or are you just venting personal frustration?
The latter. Venting.
And was a girl scout back in the day.

Old 05-05-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I was a Girl Scout and no way would I have wanted to join the Boy Scouts. Psychologically, kids need to spend time with same sex peers before they enter puberty. Latency phase, if you remember your Psych 101.
I'm the opposite. I would have had a far better time in boy scouts, actually DOING things and learning things. Being out in the wilderness. My girl scout troop was awful. I admit, I have angst about the whole thing... and am selfishly here to vent about it.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:08 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Freudian psychosexual stages of development are not exactly the developmental gold standard these days.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:15 PM

369 posts, read 325,201 times
Um, so what's the original targeted purpose of scouting.
Is equal gender " bendification" offered to little Jack that wants to be a Brownie?
The demise is written on the wall. JMHO

Old 07-03-2018, 02:16 PM

19,799 posts, read 9,341,315 times
This saddens me. One more tradition down the drain.

As others have said, why can't boys have their own group and girls another? Or else just form a new organization and call it something else entirely, leaving gender out of it, like the 4-H club?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies