Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2018, 04:17 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
so his opens the opportunity for girls to earn the Eagle award.

Eagle is not an "award." It is a RANK, same as Scout, Tenderfoot, 2nd Class, 1st Class, Star and Life before it, and you cannot advance to Eagle without completing ALL those preceding ranks. That is why it is superior to the GSA Gold Award.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 04:20 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Didn't you hear Pilot. Institutions like the Boy Scouts are the breeding grounds for "toxic masculinity". We must stop these boys masculine development at an early age, in order to ensure that they will never achieve toxic testosterone levels.
nope. please read some more.

the program is not changing at the troop level.

the program itself is not being altered. you still need the same required merit badges. you still need the same kind of eagle project. you still have the same number of nights camping. you still need the same number of campouts. you still have to learn to cook on a campout. and all manner of other things that BSA has always required.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:21 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Eagle is not an "award." It is a RANK, same as Scout, Tenderfoot, 2nd Class, 1st Class, Star and Life before it, and you cannot advance to Eagle without completing ALL those preceding ranks. That is why it is superior to the GSA Gold Award.
I stand corrected. you are correct. I apologize.

LOL. you certainly do NOT have to convince me that the Eagle RANK is superior to the GSA Gold AWARD.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:28 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I agree the Girl Scouts need to change their image/role, seems like all they do is sell cookies and dream about exciting careers like a dress up Barbie doll. Boy Scouts was the last place a boy can bond in a male environment where he's not being corrected for acting like a boy. It's ok to say girls need a same sex environment for their growth and development but state that for boys and your a Neolithic Pig.
The boy scouts haven't been an all male environment for quite a while. I was a den leader about half of us were women, our pack leader was a woman, and we always had sisters of the boys that attended the cub scout meetings and camp outs. This was 10 years ago.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:29 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,645,956 times
Quote:
nope. please read some more.

the program is not changing at the troop level.

the program itself is not being altered. you still need the same required merit badges. you still need the same kind of eagle project. you still have the same number of nights camping. you still need the same number of campouts. you still have to learn to cook on a campout. and all manner of other things that BSA has always required.
Agreed. Once I looked into it further I was actually about to remove my post. But since you already responded, I figured I'd just say "I stand corrected". It seems like the only thing changing is that they are going to allow girls to have the same sort of scouting experience that the boys have. At this point it doesn't look like they are going to dilute the program or take away from the experience in any way. So I have no problem with this. Hell, they aren't even changing the name. I'd say this is much to do about basically nothing. The Boy Scouts will still be the Boy Scouts. There just might be a few "dens" of girls in the Boy Scouts too.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
The obvious solution is to offer some of the same programs to Girl Scouts.
GSA has had years to realize their program needs to get with the program. I realized this back when I was a member, that's why I left after aging out of the Junior rank. That's one big difference, BTW... in GSA you age from one rank to the next, in BSA you have to EARN the next rank. You only get out of it what you put in. You want to stay at Scout rank (the lowest rank) from age 11 to 17, go right ahead; you can feel like a fool when you are attending your fellow troop members' Eagle Courts of Honor.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:31 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
I don't have any problems with the name change or with the Scouts accepting girls.

Scouting has been declining for a long time, and the Girl Scouts turned into more of a money-raising organization than an adventure club for girls.

Girls these days love to go hiking, camping, climbing, and all the other traditional activities of the Boy Scouts, and as a family activity, I think it's good they're now allowed into scouting.

Now, the sisters can go with their brothers on the same day hikes, to the same meetings where learning the basics of outdoor survival is equally good for all, and Den Mothers can now go out too, something they could not before. The Den Mothers were always integral to the Boy Scouts.

And it will help scouting stay financially more secure into the future. To me, "The Scouts" as an official name is natural. It's the one that was always used by the boys who were members forever. Removing the gender from the name is no big deal.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
this is correct.

AND BSA has other programs that have been co-ed that include 14 year olds and older where there is camping. These programs have been in place since 1971.

all BSA did was open 2 programs to girls that had previously been closed to girls. Those programs will remain single gender at the base level.

for Cub Scouts that is the den. this is kids of the same grade in elementary school. It should also be noted, that in most settings each Cub Scout is accompanied by their own adult partner.

for Boy Scouts, the entire troop will remain single gender. you will not have a troop of scouts going camping that are co-ed. period.

PS BSA has a very active and vital group of leaders at the troop level that are female. that's been the case for a very very very long time.

My brothers were in an Explorer Post (Firematics) that had several girls as members (their brother was also a member and their mother was involved in the running of the Post).

My mother was a Den leader and also worked as a Camp Commissioner for our Council's summer camp. She was given the Council's President's Award in 1981.

I felt rather left out being the only member of my household as a kid who didn't wear a BSA uniform.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:48 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
That'll be great. That's just the age when boys start to really like girls. What could possibly go wrong?
My thoughts exactly. This change will just cause a lot of unnecessary distractions.

Why can't the girl scouts just adopt the same activities as the boy scouts?

Old 05-02-2018, 04:51 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,095,846 times
is there still a girl scouts?

are we changing the name of that as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies