Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 10:23 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
are you intentionally trying to be obtuse?

the scenario was where the SCOTUS directly compelled the POTUS to testify.
Under what authority? There is a 5th amendment issue standing in the way.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:24 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
The business of the people of the United States of America should not be done on a golf course. It should be done in official capacity. We have protocol for that.
Trump does everything off the books. Even the business of running the country.

He doesn't seem to understand that it's not HIS country. He is the people's president and accountable to us. Making backroom deals and national policy on the 19th hole are the methods of a 1 man dictator, not the leader of a democratic republic.

Do you understand that some of the biggest business deals this world has ever seen were made on a golf course?

They were obviously signed elsewhere, but they were certainly hammered (broad strokes) out over 18 holes.

Where else do you have a captive audience, so to speak, for 3 and a half hours, and not have them ready to bolt for the exit?

Somehow, I think you're not one of those people who make deals. If you were, you would have never made such a post.

And Trump doesn't visit the 19th hole.

19th hole being drinks after a round, the kind with alcohol. And I feel stupid for even having to say that.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Bill Clinton was actually impeached, but not removed from office.
Only in the house. The Senate refused to even take a vote.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
If trump ignores SCOTUS telling him to testify, Mueller will go to a US District Court with the SCOTUS ruling and will get an order from Federal Court judge that trump appear to testify. If trump does not appear, it is a federal crime to ignore a Federal court order.

That is the crime for his impeachment.
Who is he going to be "testifying" against?
Is there a 5th amendment issue anyone maybe worried about?
Or do sitting Presidents have rights?

Old 05-04-2018, 10:47 PM

23,452 posts, read 12,487,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Do you understand that some of the biggest business deals this world has ever seen were made on a golf course?

They were obviously signed elsewhere, but they were certainly hammered (broad strokes) out over 18 holes.

Where else do you have a captive audience, so to speak, for 3 and a half hours, and not have them ready to bolt for the exit?

Somehow, I think you're not one of those people who make deals. If you were, you would have never made such a post.

19th hole being drinks after a round, the kind with alcohol. And I feel stupid for even having to say that.
^^This.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:48 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
that would be congress' job. i'm pretty confident that even a GOP house/senate would instigate impeachment hearings if a POTUS directly defied a SCOTUS ruling.
The impeachable crime being contempt of what exactly?

Contempt of Mueller?

Trump is Mueller's boss.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:03 PM

33,314 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
If that's the case, why did Trump hammer Obama for playing golf less than 1/3rd as much as he now does?

So when Obama play's golf, he's skirting his presidential duties but when Trump play's golf, he's actively engaged in running the country.

I don't think even you believe this scenario.

“Can you believe that, with all of the problems and difficulties facing the U.S., President Obama spent the day playing golf.” Mr. Trump tweeted on Oct. 13, 2014. “Worse than Carter.”
“We pay for Obama’s travel so he can fundraise millions so Democrats can run on lies,” he said a day later. “Then we pay for his golf.”
“President Obama has a major meeting on the N.Y.C. Ebola outbreak, with people flying in from all over the country, but decided to play golf!”

Donald John Trump
Because he thought that that was a 'free' chance to get in digs against Obama that he (Trump) would never have to back up by doing the opposite. I don't think Trump thought there was a snowball's chance in h*** that, no matter what he did, that he would win. I have my doubts that he even wanted to win. I think he may have run to raise his profile even further, to be able to say 'the system is rigged' until taking his last breath.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:39 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post

Yeah, having been a golfer since 1967 and a current member of the local men's club of the local course, I know how that works. That's why I think it's so wrong. It's no way to run a country and the fact you accept that as the leader's modus operandi speaks volumes to your lack of intellectual capacity and your understanding of how the most powerful nation in the world is run.

Yes, Trump is a teetotaler. I've known many golfers who are teetotalers who still do their deals at the 19th hole. It's where you sit down and have lunch after a round and hash out the details of the round or whatever is on your mind. It is not where everyone get's drunk. Ever hear of an Arnold Palmer? Half Iced tea and Half lemonade. I never drink on the golf course.

I've been a manager for 34 years in the hospitality industry. Golf is part of it. It's how you hammer home a catering deal for 150 people with rooms and meals for an event. Still, 95% of our deals are done in an office. It's not how you decide the trade tariffs with the far east and peace in the Middle east.

What bothers me most is you people think that anything Trump does should be secret and he's not accountable to the American people. Not his past, not his present or not his future.
You've done everything you possibly can to destroy any transparency in your effort to "let Trump be Trump".

Well, get a clue; he's a **** ing dictator.

What was the reason you hammered Obama for golfing? What was the logic, if Trump's golf is so pure and benefiting the nation why was Obama's so wrong?

Bunch of hypocrites.

Last edited by mohawkx; 05-05-2018 at 12:43 AM..

Old 05-05-2018, 02:51 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
I doubt that the Supreme Court would want to get involved in such a politically loaded case and would probably send it back to the lower courts. The Appeals Court ruling would stand, in that case.

Old 05-05-2018, 03:23 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
More likely to go down as the President the opposition party attempted to overthrow in a coup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Id disagree. Trump going against a court order from the supreme court? I doubt he would survive a month past that. He would either be impeached or assassinated. A lot of people would believe he was trying to be a dictator at that point.

Yeah, well...after today, I think it's safe to say that the witch hunt is essentially over.

The case against Manafort is all but dismissed and that puts everything else the Mueller team has been working on in extreme jeopardy.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...rt-case-568935
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies