Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you think Mueller's Russia investigation will end?
End of a witch hunt with no evidence of wrong doings 41 41.41%
No impeachment, but some blaming statement comparable to the "carelessness" in the Hillary email investigation conclusion 14 14.14%
Impeachment, but acquittal 3 3.03%
Impeachment + conviction, but stays in office 4 4.04%
Impeachment + conviction + resignation or removal from office 18 18.18%
Other (elaborate) 19 19.19%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 04:01 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,615,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
There was not a choice which exactly matched what I think will be the most likely outcome: enough evidence will be uncovered to start impeachment procedings, but Trump will declare that he's achieved his goals and Made America Great Again, so rather than put the country through an impeachment, he will patriotically resign in favor of Pence.

Then he'll fly down to Mar-a-Lago, trailing clouds of glory (in his own imagination, at least), for endless rounds of golf, pretty ladies of dubious virtue, and double-scoops. He is likely to seek out opportunities for personal appearances, since he so clearly is addicted to attention.

Meanwhile, Melania will be suddenly hit by intense homesickness for Slovenia, and will take Barron along to explore his ancestral roots - and never return.
Melania is not going anywhere. She knew what she was getting into with Trump.

Her parents and sister now live in the US, via chain migration. Her parents have a home in Trump Towe and live some place in DC- maybe the WH or other near bye. They travel with the family to Mar-a-Lago, Bedminster and other Trump properties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 04:04 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,615,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Pretty much. I think Trumps two biggest concerns are either obstruction charges or past business dealings. I think this is why Cohen is a bigger deal then most people realize.
We are on the same page.

Old 05-04-2018, 04:07 PM

7,598 posts, read 8,651,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
The poll is flawed because it mixes Mueller’s investigation with impeachment. Impeachment involves not just the legal facts unearthed in the investigation but the political will of Congress.

There should have been an option with a finding of criminal action by the President or other associates. If the President were charged by Mueller, it would be in a referral to Congress and with the current composition of the House there would be no danger of an Article of Impeachment passing. If the Democrats take the House in the fall, there would be a possibility of Impeachment but not much of a chance of removal of office by the Senate because of the 2/3rds requirement, unless there is a total meltdown of R support, such as happened to Richard Nixon. In the hyper partisan environment that now exists it’s hard seeing a broad consensus on removing a President from office.
Please feel free to start a new poll with more choices. It's more complicated than I know. I just want to have a rough idea...

Anyone care to predict how long the investigation will take? Weeks? months?

Old 05-04-2018, 04:07 PM

34,274 posts, read 19,316,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Melania is not going anywhere. She knew what she was getting into with Trump.

Her parents and sister now live in the US, via chain migration. Her parents have a home in Trump Towe and live some place in DC- maybe the WH or other near bye. They travel with the family to Mar-a-Lago, Bedminster and other Trump properties.
You know....I thought this too about Melania....except....Trump has finally admitted to the payoff, but continues to deny the sex. Which....is unbelievable.

But this is the actions of someone who is lying, and he is lying because he is denying it to her. And she is believing it because the alternative is too hard.

I am beginning to suspect that....she didn't know. Or convinced herself that she wasn't getting into it.

Old 05-04-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Please feel free to start a new poll with more choices. It's more complicated than I know. I just want to have a rough idea...

Anyone care to predict how long the investigation will take? Weeks? months?
Tough one. We can compare it to Nixons, or other ones...and that would mean a couple years more.....but the pressure and politics are building fast. And in the age of data things CAN be put together. My best wild guess-and please....no one quote me on this as its VERY much a wild guess....

Mid July Mueller releases a report on obstruction. And probably files more charges on people.

2 more months. But that is just a feeling. Part of it being the extension on sentencing of Flynn.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/01/polit...ing/index.html

I think Flynn provided critical information that led Mueller places. Thus the continued delay. And this would be incredibly fast in comparison to other investigations.

If I compared it to other investigations? years more. probably 3.

Old 05-04-2018, 04:13 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,041,141 times
Quote:
Pretty much. I think Trumps two biggest concerns are either obstruction charges or past business dealings. I think this is why Cohen is a bigger deal then most people realize.
And on what authority is Mueller investigating Trump's past business dealings?

The scope of the investigation was supposed to be Russia/collusion, not everything that Trump might have ever done wrong from the time he was 8 years old. This is why people say it is a "witch hunt"

This is why Congress has requested the original (not redacted) "scope memo", which DOJ has failed to turn over.

Judge Ellis today in the Manafort case has also demanded to the the unredacted "scope memo". The remarks from Judge Ellis today are actually a very big deal.

Old 05-04-2018, 04:19 PM

6,933 posts, read 2,381,269 times
The soviets will lose, and then be swept into the dustbin of history.

Old 05-04-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
And on what authority is Mueller investigating Trump's past business dealings?
Well lets see....see the bold below:

The Special Counsel is authorized to conduct the investigation confirmed by then-FBI Director James B. Comey in testimony before the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence on March 20th, 1017, including:
(i) any links and/or coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated with the campaign of President Donald Trump; and
(ii) any matters that arose or may arise directly from the investigation; and
(iii) any other matters within the scope of 28 C.F.R. § 600.4(a).

Quote:
The scope of the investigation was supposed to be Russia/collusion, not everything that Trump might have ever done wrong from the time he was 8 years old. This is why people say it is a "witch hunt"
Go read above. Seriously, your argument has no basis in reality.
Quote:
This is why Congress has requested the original (not redacted) "scope memo", which DOJ has failed to turn over.
And do you know why? Because if they do Nunes will run that copy right over to anyone they are investigating. This was their very logical and expected response:
"The department recognizes the keen interest that Congress has in the special counsel's investigation, but respectfully, we must adhere to the longstanding position of the department that congressional inquiries pertaining to ongoing criminal investigations threaten the integrity of those investigations."

And thats because Nunes will leak it instantly.

Quote:
Judge Ellis today in the Manafort case has also demanded to the the unredacted "scope memo". The remarks from Judge Ellis today are actually a very big deal.
Not really. The DOJ has valid reasons to not want this out into the public. I suspect in the end they will hand it to the judge, and he will learn that the redacted stuff really does not apply.

Also would not be surprised if they it as a ahhh what is the term...in camera review? IE only the judge will see it.

Old 05-04-2018, 04:42 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,041,141 times
Quote:
Well lets see....see the bold below:

The Special Counsel is authorized to conduct the investigation confirmed by then-FBI Director James B. Comey in testimony before the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence on March 20th, 1017, including:
(i) any links and/or coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated with the campaign of President Donald Trump; and
(ii) any matters that arose or may arise directly from the investigation; and
(iii) any other matters within the scope of 28 C.F.R. § 600.4(a).

Go read above. Seriously, your argument has no basis in reality.

And do you know why? Because if they do Nunes will run that copy right over to anyone they are investigating. This was their very logical and expected response:
"The department recognizes the keen interest that Congress has in the special counsel's investigation, but respectfully, we must adhere to the longstanding position of the department that congressional inquiries pertaining to ongoing criminal investigations threaten the integrity of those investigations."

And thats because Nunes will leak it instantly.

Not really. The DOJ has valid reasons to not want this out into the public. I suspect in the end they will hand it to the judge, and he will learn that the redacted stuff really does not apply.

Also would not be surprised if they it as a ahhh what is the term...in camera review? IE only the judge will see it.
That's interesting because Judge Ellis is saying that the investigation into Manafort is perhaps outside of the original scope.

And no I don't think that's why they don't want it handed over to Congress. I think it has to do with FISA warrants, and when the intelligence gathering began, and what information was used asa catalyst. The DOJ is saying they have "super secret powers" FGS. That doesn't trouble you?

Old 05-04-2018, 04:44 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,360,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
The truth will be revealed, whatever that is.

His base won't care what he's done.

I think he will remain in office, regardless.
ACTUALLY, I voted other ( unable to explain though was asked to???) Reason.. DJT will resign IF he doesn't have his lapdogs (mostly House) spreading lies..claiming all sorts Cr@p against DOJ (Rosenstein) closing down investigations Nunez doing his block to SHUT DOWN following leads etc etc etc.. It's Obvious the "Freedom Caucus" part of that committee (+ house members banding together to Impeach Rosenstein) ) did NOT want to KNOW the FACTS!! BTW~~ I though Nunez recused himself?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
The poll is flawed because it mixes Mueller’s investigation with impeachment. Impeachment involves not just the legal facts unearthed in the investigation but the political will of Congress.

There should have been an option with a finding of criminal action by the President or other associates. If the President were charged by Mueller, it would be in a referral to Congress and with the current composition of the House there would be no danger of an Article of Impeachment passing. If the Democrats take the House in the fall, there would be a possibility of Impeachment but not much of a chance of removal of office by the Senate because of the 2/3rds requirement, unless there is a total meltdown of R support, such as happened to Richard Nixon. In the hyper partisan environment that now exists it’s hard seeing a broad consensus on removing a President from office.
The biggest difference today versus Nixon era..is we are now digitalize. Back, then it turned out to be " Tapes" that forced Nixon to resign.

I'm betting that so so much corruption will be exposed ( so much already exposed) within the DJT Family/Campaign donors/and those involved within his CAMPAIGN .. that some were carried into DJT Administration....

Lets see,HOW many have been offed.. gained.. resigned.. been charged.. .. WE are talking dozens!! I won't even go into career Public career professionals who were either fired.. or resigned because of corruption claims about DJT appointed Cabinet Leads!

THE midterm elections COULD actually force DJT to resign.. OR stay the course... So who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies