Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 12:50 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,758,843 times

Advertisements

The fact that more than a month has gone by and the police are still investigating means they had no intention of disciplining that cop. Now that it has made national news they will be forced to take some action. An investigation of this nature should have been concluded within a day. How much is there to possibly investigate when it was all caught on video?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 12:52 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,477,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
I'm still struggling to wrap my head around the cop's logic.

Cop thought he saw a man stealing a pack of mints....so he pulled a gun on him?!
Now you have to remember to never put anything in your pocket after you paid for it because you never know!

Old 05-06-2018, 12:57 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,425,908 times
Smile Please tamp down the drama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Ah, so minimum wage workers should now how to act perfectly in life and death situations.....I think I get it.

Do you think that clerk gets lifetime health care, fat pension, union representation and the ability (99% plus chance) to be proven innocent if he shoots someone??

Expectations of people are in line with their responsibility. A clerk has very few.
A simple, "He paid for it" was all the clerk needed to say.

Confrontation resolved.

Old 05-06-2018, 01:23 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,295,483 times
Holy crap! I just watched the video. What was that police officer thinking?

Old 05-06-2018, 01:25 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,758,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
A simple, "He paid for it" was all the clerk needed to say.

Confrontation resolved.
The clerk may have been frozen with fear that he'd be shot if he spoke up. Perhaps the cop could have first asked if the mentos were paid for before pulling the gun.

Old 05-06-2018, 01:26 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,697,682 times
I don’t put any of this on the clerk. He just watched some idiot claiming to be a police officer brandishing a gun because he thinks some guy is stealing a pack of mentos. I’d assume that it was not a police officer because what cop acts like that? I would probably freeze lest the lunatic shoot me for saying, “he didn’t steal it.”

Hopefully this Good Guy With a Gun gets his gun taken from him and he’s given a desk job where he can mumble to himself about not getting a piece of cake or that someone took his stapler or whatever.

Old 05-06-2018, 01:30 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,425,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
The clerk may have been frozen with fear that he'd be shot if he spoke up. Perhaps the cop could have first asked if the mentos were paid for before pulling the gun.

No doubt.

The cop was totally at fault for instigating the whole thing.

The clerk was in the perfect position to defuse it all with a simple four word statement.

No heroics or action above and beyond.

Old 05-06-2018, 01:32 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,605,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
No doubt.

The clerk was in the perfect position to defuse it all with a simple four word statement.
How did the clerk know that the dude who pulled the gun wasn't some crazy mentally deranged fella who would have shot the first person to make a move or say a word?

Of course - the answer is he didn't.

Remember, an armed society is a polite society. Therefore, when confronted with a gun pointed in his direction, the clerk was polite - and quiet.

Old 05-06-2018, 01:32 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,703,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
A gun should never be drawn over theft
well that depends on the situation, i mean if the guy had a gun on the clerk, then the cop would have been justified pulling his gun out. or how about when armed robbers are ribbing a bank, do you think that cops should just walk in without pulling the guns first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
I think the officer should have shot him. For all he knew, the guy could have been planning to drop them in a Coke and create a deadly soda geyser.

Today, knives in London. Tomorrow, soda geysers in America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This cop needs to be fired immediately. And he should be charged with brandishing a weapon at a citizen unjustifiably.

Crap like this really angers me. This is why people are increasingly suspicious of cops.
i fully agree with you my friend. this cop should be fired, or at the least sent back to the academy for a number of refresher courses. at worst the cop should be brought up on charges, brandishing a weapon for one, among others depending on what prosecutor can come up with, and tried on those charges.

Old 05-06-2018, 01:34 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,511,667 times
Are people really making excuses for Barney Fife? This NEVER should have happened and the fact that he overreacted over a damn roll of Mentos proves he's unfit for the job. This is the kind of guy who will be quick to shoot if he's that quick to draw his weapon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies