Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2018, 11:34 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
The reason for abortions is an unwanted pregnancy. Your solutions do not address unwanted pregnancy.

How does affordable continuing education or socialized health care stop a woman from getting pregnant?

If those proposed solutions were needed for pregnancy, only rich married, educated people would have children because they would have the ability to pay for everything you have mentioned -- because people who work minimum wage jobs never have families.

You think you are addressing the problem, but you are skirting around it, burying it.

Abortions are due to unwanted pregnancy. What stops unwanted pregnancy? BC you can buy at Walmart. Going to one of 14,000 low cost clinics and PP locations. There is no shortage of options for women who actually take responsibility for themselves.
Actually abortion also takes care of an unwanted pregnancy, just as it always has and always will.

But to address another issue you mentioned. How are you able to sanction 10% of abortions as being acceptable? According to you abortion is murder, so it's not murder if a girl is 13 but it is if she's 14 or 15?

Old 05-15-2018, 11:34 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
https://www.chicksonright.com/2018/0...after-6-weeks/

"Backers of the so-called “heartbeat” bill – which didn’t get a single Democratic vote in the Legislature during final passage – expressed hope it could challenge Roe vs. Wade, the landmark 1973 U.S. Supreme Court ruling that established women have a right to terminate pregnancies until a fetus is viable. Conservatives say an influx of right-leaning judicial appointments under President Trump could make it a possibility."

"Not a single Democrat voted for the bill, which means not a single Democrat has a problem with killing a baby with a heartbeat."

The democrat party is the party of death for sure.
Then stop being pro-birth only. It's the very definition of hypocritical.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:37 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
I'll play. In all honesty, from most of your postings you seem like a reasonable person, and I mean that, no snark here.

So if we had universal health care, a living minimum wage and affordable continuing education, every man and woman that had unprotected and poorly protected sex would always keep the baby. Every time. Simply because we add those three variables to the mix.
Nope, not at all. Many would still opt for abortions.

Quote:
Why are women let off the hook here? Why do we feel women aren't capable of using bc effectively? Frankly, it's insulting.
My concern is to see that fewer lives are lost. People will do dumb things.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:37 AM

36,522 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
The reason for abortions is an unwanted pregnancy. Your solutions do not address unwanted pregnancy.

How does affordable continuing education or socialized health care stop a woman from getting pregnant?

If those proposed solutions were needed for pregnancy, only rich married, educated people would have children because they would have the ability to pay for everything you have mentioned -- because people who work minimum wage jobs never have families.

You think you are addressing the problem, but you are skirting around it, burying it.

Abortions are due to unwanted pregnancy. What stops unwanted pregnancy? BC you can buy at Walmart. Going to one of 14,000 low cost clinics and PP locations. There is no shortage of options for women who actually take responsibility for themselves.

The pregnancies are unwanted because lack of health care, financial strain or losing ones job, lack of child care. If people did not have to worry about these issues they would choose to continue the pregnancy, but in their situation an additional child, a pregnancy, could be devastating to their existing financial situation.
And people who work minimum wage jobs get abortions so they don't have additional children.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:39 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So its about punishing women for having sex.
Why does it matter the reason for the abortion.10% are ok. Anytime you make an exception for rape, incest, etc., that 10%, it shows your objection to abortion is about the woman, not the fetus; about punishment, not "murder".
I've given you that 10% so you can address the other 90%. Free from the what if scenarios. Because the reason seems to matter very much to you. You've provided reason after reason for why abortions are needed .. so I say OK. I'll give that to you.

And you turnaround and say well, now, the reasons don't matter!!!! Why bring up reasons???

Which means the reasons do NOT matter. So it's not about protected those who are victims of rape/incest/other cajillion scenarios you have thought up and posted. It's about wanting ondemand all the time for everyone. You have just flipped, using your own argument. First they matter, now they don't.

Add in this new sex as punishment argument, and you are truly off the map. What the heck is THAT about?

Use a condom. Take your pill. Have sex with everyone, I don't care. Just take responsibility for yourself.

You need to ask yourself why you are so threatened by women being held accountable for their actions during sex.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
The pregnancies are unwanted because lack of health care, financial strain or losing ones job, lack of child care. If people did not have to worry about these issues they would choose to continue the pregnancy, but in their situation an additional child, a pregnancy, could be devastating to their existing financial situation.
And people who work minimum wage jobs get abortions so they don't have additional children.
Pregnancy is caused by lack of health care?
Pregnancy is cause by financial strain?
Pregnancy is caused when you lose your job?
Pregnancy is caused by lack of child care?
Pregnancy is caused by having a minimum wage job?

No.

Pregnancy is a result when a man and a woman have unprotected or poorly protected sex.

Have that many people failed biology?

Old 05-15-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Pregnancy is caused by lack of health care?
Pregnancy is cause by financial strain?
Pregnancy is caused when you lose your job?
Pregnancy is caused by lack of child care?
Pregnancy is caused by having a minimum wage job?

No.

Pregnancy is a result when a man and a woman have unprotected or poorly protected sex.

Have that many people failed biology?
You are avoiding my argument again.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You are avoiding my argument again.
I do not know what your argument is. I'm not being daft, I truly don't know.

You are offering up public policies that don't address why women are becoming pregnant, which is what leads to abortion. No pregnancy ... no abortion.

How will any of those policies limit the number of unwanted pregnancies? If those policies were in place, every women who conceives will have and keep the child? Every child will be wanted? We can make abortion illegal if these policies are in place?

The solution to an unwanted pregnancy? Proper and consistent use of BC. That's it. Simple, effective, cheap, and accessible.

(there's also abstinence and having sex in a healthy, monogomous relationship where you want kids. But no one likes to discuss those, so I just limit my discussion to BC)

Old 05-15-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
I do not know what your argument is. I'm not being daft, I truly don't know.

You are offering up public policies that don't address why women are becoming pregnant, which is what leads to abortion. No pregnancy ... no abortion.

How will any of those policies limit the number of unwanted pregnancies?
It's been explained to you so I am only left with disagreeing with your second comment.

Unintended does not necessarily mean unwanted.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's been explained to you so I am only left with disagreeing with your second comment.

Unintended does not necessarily mean unwanted.
Your position is that if we had universal health care, a higher minimum wage and continuing education that the number of abortions in this country would drop to zero?

Is that your position?

If so, explain how each policy stops pregnancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies