Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do Red Flag Laws Violate the 2nd Amendment?
Yes 19 46.34%
No 22 53.66%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 05:54 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,872 times

Advertisements

"Red flag laws, sometimes called extreme risk protection order laws, allow a judge to issue an order that enables law enforcement to confiscate guns from individuals deemed a risk to themselves or others."

But such laws constitute "infringement" on ones right to keep and bear arms, a guarantee declared in the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution.

Do Red Flag Laws Violate the 2nd Amendment? When is it "OK" to unconstitutionally violate ones rights to keep and bear arms??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 06:00 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Honestly, I have mixed feelings about this. I think the laws might help stop some crimes, but on the other hand, if someone is that homicidal/suicidal, shouldn't they be in custody and under the care of a mental health professional, anyway?

Old 05-06-2018, 06:05 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
It's OK when due process as also spelled out in the Constitution has been met. We have covered this here many times.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:33 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,872 times
"Shall NOT be Infringed." How many here on C-D have made that blanket statement over and over again in response to any suggestion of gun control?

I can only assume that such assertions imply staunch opposition to any proposed Red Flag laws.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:37 AM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
"Red flag laws, sometimes called extreme risk protection order laws, allow a judge to issue an order that enables law enforcement to confiscate guns from individuals deemed a risk to themselves or others."

But such laws constitute "infringement" on ones right to keep and bear arms, a guarantee declared in the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution.

Do Red Flag Laws Violate the 2nd Amendment? When is it "OK" to unconstitutionally violate ones rights to keep and bear arms??
Whether it's intentional or not, the wording of the question in bold is biased towards a particular viewpoint.

I understand people will have their different opinions, but in order to stay un-biased, a good poll asks questions in a way that doesn't try to influence the outcome by making an implication or declaration of what the answer "should" be.

https://surveytown.com/10-examples-o...vey-questions/

Last edited by Jowel; 05-06-2018 at 06:45 AM.. Reason: Added resource and made change to wording of explanation in response of OP

Old 05-06-2018, 06:39 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Whether intentional or not, the wording of the question in bold is biased towards a particular viewpoint.
A valid poll asks questions in a way that doesn't try to influence the outcome by making a declaration of what the answer "should" be.
It is extremely poorly worded and jumbles two very different things into one but this is pretty common here.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:55 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
This has the potential to be a double edged sword.
We all want to keep dangerous weapons out of the hands of people that might hurt themselves or others BUT what happens if said "red flag" laws are used to remove guns from responsible level headed individuals?

This could be used by anti gun people to tie up a gun owner in the courts simply by pleading to a liberal anti gun judge that the gun owner gave me a "creepy feeling". The house is raided the gun guy is arrested, the guns are confiscated and suddenly he has to prove himself a stable person that is capable of getting his guns back.

The fight and costs to do this might be too much for some so they just let their guns go.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:00 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Whether it's intentional or not, the wording of the question in bold is biased towards a particular viewpoint.

I understand people will have their different opinions, but in order to stay un-biased, a good poll asks questions in a way that doesn't try to influence the outcome by making an implication or declaration of what the answer "should" be.

https://surveytown.com/10-examples-o...vey-questions/
Are you talking about the opening post, or the poll itself?

The poll itself actually seems pretty neutral to me.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:10 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
I'm okay with this as long as you also take away their right to vote. If they are too crazy to own a gun, they are too crazy to vote. And the same process should work in reverse - I think you're nuts, so lets take away your right to vote, even if you don't own a gun. I have a long list of folks (including a few on here) that will have to prove they are competent

Old 05-06-2018, 07:28 AM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Are you talking about the opening post, or the poll itself?

The poll itself actually seems pretty neutral to me.
The opening post where it says When is it "OK" to unconstitutionally violate ones rights to keep and bear arms??

It implies that red flag laws do violate the 2nd amendment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies