Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 08:03 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
The type of personality that votes republican is more likely to want to DO things rather than teach them.

Highly educated republicans become doctors, lawyers, and work in the financial sector.

They dont often go after degrees in philosophy, English literature, and other degrees that can basically only lead to teaching.
Just wanted to note on the bold/black degrees that often people with those degrees in undergrad work in the blue fields...

I actually have an undergraduate degree in English and work in the financial sector! Many of my cohort classmates are currently PhDs in particular fields of study and a large amount of them, even when we were in school were intending to become lawyers - 3 have their own practices today as attorneys and many work for private firms today. English and philosophy degrees are actually pretty common undergrad choices for doctors and lawyers in particular.

I've never been a teacher and don't really want to be one (they don't get paid enough IMO).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 08:45 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Talking 39% of colleges have 0 Republican professors

Might could be:

1) Since Pubs hate education, not many of 'em attain the level of schooling that would qualify them for professorships

2) Highly educated folks might tend to see reality instead of the gloom and doom baloney being served up by the right wing

3) 61% of colleges must have Pub professors, so that probably accounts for all that possibly could be profs

What's your hypothesis?

Old 05-08-2018, 08:48 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Maybe there is another reason for this. Perhaps Republicans are not smart enough to become professors .

Think about it.
Or maybe the old adage is true?

Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.

Think about it!

Old 05-08-2018, 08:53 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Or maybe the old adage is true?

Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.

Think about it!
Here's an extension:

Those who can, do.

Those who can't, teach

Those who can't teach, administrate

Those who can't administrate, legislate

Those who are completely helpless and incapable of any of the above, sit around and gripe about what a lousy place America is and how it's all their neighbor's fault.

Carry on.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:09 AM

5,899 posts, read 3,899,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
We're talking about the ones with degrees in fine arts, gender studies, humanities, diversity, sociology who can't get a job or stuck working at McDonalds because no on else would hire them.
Most of the Republican politicians that you vote for have "useless" liberal arts degrees. Nobody had any problems voting for them.

Most of the conservative commentators you listen to have "useless" liberal arts degrees. Nobody had any problems hiring them.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:16 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
Liberals are not better educated than conservatives, but they may in some cases be more formally educated. Most of one's education does or at least should happen outside of a classroom or lab. I've learned much more out in the world than I have in a formal setting, by far. And this goes for practical as well as "critical thinking" sorts of learning. This is not to say there is no benefit to a higher education, but there does reach a point of diminishing returns, where real world experience becomes more valuable to mind and soul.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:45 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Here's an extension:

Those who can, do.

Those who can't, teach

Those who can't teach, administrate

Those who can't administrate, legislate

Those who are completely helpless and incapable of any of the above, sit around and gripe about what a lousy place America is and how it's all their neighbor's fault.

Carry on.

And that's how we recognize them as democrats. They wait for the government handouts they voted for.

Last edited by phma; 05-08-2018 at 10:24 AM..

Old 05-08-2018, 10:39 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times
A person may think that a Liberal should figuratively see a shrink for some Left viewpoints. Ironically enough, "indoctrination", from a pronunciation standpoint, sounds like it has part of the word "doctor" in it.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:48 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,020 times
The intelligent educated class leans left. This is pretty well known. Maybe conservatives should ask themselves why? I know you'd love to believe it's indoctrination. I suppose that makes it easier to swallow. But I have news for you...intelligent people ask the big important questions. They are not easily indoctrinated.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:04 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Just wanted to note on the bold/black degrees that often people with those degrees in undergrad work in the blue fields...

I actually have an undergraduate degree in English and work in the financial sector! Many of my cohort classmates are currently PhDs in particular fields of study and a large amount of them, even when we were in school were intending to become lawyers - 3 have their own practices today as attorneys and many work for private firms today. English and philosophy degrees are actually pretty common undergrad choices for doctors and lawyers in particular.

I've never been a teacher and don't really want to be one (they don't get paid enough IMO).
I was talking about post graduate degrees. I thought that would be understood from my post. College is now like what high school used to be. With some exceptions, it doesnt matter so much what your undergraduate degree is in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies