Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 10:13 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,845,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
She's not crazy. Let's not be dramatic here or we won't be displaying any more solid reasoning than she's being accused of not displaying.

She was offended by an off-color joke.

Eh. It happens. I really would have just told him to his face, if I were her. I suspect he would have apologized and told her it was an old joke his dad used to tell and he didn't mean harm and all would have been well.

This is a big mess that did not need to go so far. But, once he was asked to apologize, he should have just apologized while telling her why he said it. The mess here is the breakdown in discourse.

Just looking at the big picture.

She is crazy. Only a crazy person would react this way to a stupid joke.

"Sharoni ... was shaken by the incident, said it took her a while to figure out that Lebow thought it was funny "to make a reference to men shopping for lingerie while attending an academic conference. I am still trying to come to terms with the fact that we froze and didn’t confront him," she wrote.
After glancing at Lebow’s name tag, Sharoni says she went back to her hotel room to check out the association’s code of conduct. She then wrote to Mark A. Boyer, the association’s executive director. He forwarded the complaint to the group’s Committee on Professional Rights and Responsibilities, which determined that Lebow had violated the conduct code."

This screams crazy to me. it was a bad joke. Mentally well people shrug, say eh whatever, the guy is a jerk, the joke was stupid, and say WHO CARES, and then go about their day.

They don't claim to be emotionally "shaken," spend time "trying to figure it out," come to terms with why she and the rest of the women -- notice she's dragging everyone else into her own problem simply because they have vaginas -- didn't confront him gang-style in the elevator. Then she spends time looking him up, as well as the association codes of conduct, searches for someone she can complain to and then writes a complaint.

How do people like her find time to go grocery shopping and pay bills with all the effort they spend on nonsense like this?

Women like her make me ashamed to be female.

Oh and he did apologize. It just wasn't the type of apology she wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 10:19 AM

20,889 posts, read 19,345,190 times
I’m offended that she thinks men aren’t capable of pushing their own elevator button.

...and I demand an apology!

Old 05-07-2018, 10:20 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,448,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
This is what happens when you put mentally defective misfits into prominent positions. The vetting systems used to weed these nuts out, no longer.

https://www.chronicle.com/article/He...he-Isnt/243350

Old fart makes a joke.
A woman is offended and complains.

Who cares?

Am I the only one who longs for the day when every anecdotal story in a country of 325 million people did not become click bait news?

Old 05-07-2018, 10:25 AM

2,517 posts, read 3,060,517 times
Hinged feminist, here.
I would have laughed (because the comment was funny) and asked if he was sure they had his size.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:26 AM

34,109 posts, read 18,354,105 times
These are the same women I see at anti (legal) gun rallies with their emasculated husbands in tow, screaming that guns kill people on their own. They are looking for a meaning, or purpose in life, and pick YOUR rights to focus upon, and curtail.

In this instance it is FREE SPEECH that is being curtailed. I am surprised she didn't call it "Hate Speech".

Old 05-07-2018, 10:57 AM

21,394 posts, read 10,436,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
What a bunch of prudes these feminists are. Worse than old church ladies.
I think they’re puritanical. Next thing they’re going to do is carry smelling salts. It truly is going backwards.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
If I had been in the elevator, I would have told him that was inappropriate. "Oh, he's just one of the boys, no harm, no foul." BS
Really?

Old 05-07-2018, 11:01 AM

28,920 posts, read 14,252,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
Hinged feminist, here.
I would have laughed (because the comment was funny) and asked if he was sure they had his size.
And that would have been an awesome reply !

Old 05-07-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Doesn't sound "unhinged." Sounds quite calm and deliberate.

She was offended. She complained about it. They agreed that she was entitled to an apology.

A comment like that would not offend me unless it was followed by a colleague trying to get too familiar with me, in which case, yes... I would likely report it.

But, the comment alone? Nah. I would just tell him it wasn't a great joke to tell with some women in an elevator at an academic conference and be on my way.
Or, you could have just laughed and been on your way. Or ignored it. It’s not that offensive.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:03 AM

34,935 posts, read 36,068,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I don't think shes crazy or legitimately offended. She strikes me as the type looking for attention for her pet cause, and lucky for her, opportunity struck.
I don’t approve of stuff like that. Not cool of her, if that’s the case. Sends mixed messages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies