Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2018, 08:12 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
My grandmother came here from Poland. She was able to escape in the early 30s; her sister was not so lucky, and her sister's husband was killed by the Nazis. My grandmother was a "shop clerk" here; she and her Polish husband opened a store. She never would have had the money or the time to focus exclusively on her language skills.

My grandmother never spoke English well. She had a thick accent until the day she died. She never received much of an education.

Among her grandchildren are a Harvard educated lawyer, a multiple Emmy award winner, several doctors, a Ph.D., successful business people, teachers, and so on.

So please take your condescending attitudes towards language acquisition and education and stick em in your ear.

BTW, do you support "press one for English and two for Spanish?" Do you approve of government forms being printed in English and Spanish?
Quote:
That is my whole point.

I am sure most of those critizing Melania's accent are 100% behind dual language brochures, etc.
Fascinating.
I can’t decide if this is one of those “good for me, not for thee” posts or if you really haven’t seen all of the posts from other Trump supporters condemning immigrants who live here and “refuse” to speak English.

It is the ultimate irony to see Trump supporters who whine constantly about having to endure Spanish in public defend this woman who has had every opportunity to learn to speak without such a heavy accent but has made no effort to do so.
Clearly it’s just the usual double-standard and should be mocked as such.
If that takes the form of pointing out Melania’s deficiencies in English, oh, well.

And for the record, I have no issue with pressing “1” for English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 08:19 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Fascinating.
I can’t decide if this is one of those “good for me, not for thee” posts or if you really haven’t seen all of the posts from other Trump supporters condemning immigrants who live here and “refuse” to speak English.

It is the ultimate irony to see Trump supporters who whine constantly about having to endure Spanish in public defend this woman who has had every opportunity to learn to speak without such a heavy accent but has made no effort to do so.
Clearly it’s just the usual double-standard and should be mocked as such.
If that takes the form of pointing out Melania’s deficiencies in English, oh, well.

And for the record, I have no issue with pressing “1” for English.
If you have no problem with 1 for English/2 for Spanish, then it is hypocritical to criticize Melania for her English skills.

Also I wonder how quickly you would learn to speak Slovenian like a native?

7,787 posts, read 8,030,764 times
God bless the First Lady for taking on this cause.I am from the time of b&w TV and photos.It is so hard to keep up with all the new Tech bombarding children today.I thank her for getting involved in this new and growing problem facing not only children but all of us and doing it without being Political or blaming anyone in particular.She sets a good example for all of us.

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't think this is Melania's fault but this is just unreal...apparently who ever was charged with putting the info on "BeBest" on the white house website copied a similar program found on the FTC website called "Net Cetera chatting with kids about being online" and they left every word of it intact and simply renamed it
https://twitter.com/ALT_uscis/status...=http%3A%2F%2F

https://www.yahoo.com/news/melania-t...220808120.html

Unfreakingbelievable.

It took her a year and a half to unveil her platform, and it's plagiarized from the Obama administration. Word for word, picture for picture.

They are punking us, right? Please tell me that they are deliberately punking us, and they are not actually THIS stupid.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
God bless the First Lady for taking on this cause.I am from the time of b&w TV and photos.It is so hard to keep up with all the new Tech bombarding children today.I thank her for getting involved in this new and growing problem facing not only children but all of us and doing it without being Political or blaming anyone in particular.She sets a good example for all of us.
No actually, the Obama administration set a good example because she literally stole this entire thing from them.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:23 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Oh please don't let this be true. I was kind of rooting for her efforts to be the one good thing that comes out of this administration.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:25 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Right, because I'm sure Michelle Obama was the first person to ever use "be" plus "better" together.

Do better/be better/do your best...all the same play on words.

That doesn't make it plagiarism.
Spreading like wildfire:

Melania Trump 'Be Best' Speech Gets Plagiarism Criticism | Time

“New plagiarism row for Melania Trump as pamphlet bears uncanny likeness to 2014 version”
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-best-campaign

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...agiarized.html

https://rollingout.com/2018/05/07/me...by-doing-this/

Old 05-07-2018, 08:26 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Oh please don't let this be true. I was kind of rooting for her efforts to be the one good thing that comes out of this administration.
Unfortunately it's true. You would think that a staffer could have taken a few minutes to change some of the verbage or the illustrations but they simply took it off the FTC website and renamed it, it's appalling and I'm sure that if Sarah Huckabee Sanders was asked about it she would claim it's 'fake news' or that the media is attacking Melania.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately it's true. You would think that a staffer could have taken a few minutes to change some of the verbage or the illustrations but they simply took it off the FTC website and renamed it, it's appalling and I'm sure that if Sarah Huckabee Sanders was asked about it she would claim it's 'fake news' or that the media is attacking Melania.
Of course she will say that.

And the righties will go nuts and say that people are anti-woman for daring to criticize the First Lady. And I do put some of the blame on her because after what happened at the convention, she should have been smart enough to hire a staff who wouldn't repeat that mistake.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:28 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Well damn. That is just terribly disappointing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies