Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2018, 10:17 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,436,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Yep. The left likes to see our money being spent to duplicate things.

Who knows, the FTC under obama may have 'borrowed' cyber bullying data from the bush years
Really.

One thing is for sure.........the Obama's did not sit around writing the brochure themselves.

The lies of the left astound me.

If you want to criticize her find something real to criticize her for.

Personally, I don't see much point in criticizing any First Lady because they are working for free and we get what we are paying for which is nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 10:19 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,470,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Out of curiosity why did you put asterisks around "her" when referring to Michelle Obama? You were making a good case for not keeping the tit-for-tat going towards Melania before you did that. She may not be model perfect but to suggest that she's a he is still the kind of dirty dig you're complaining about regarding Melania.
I saw that. Very nasty.

Asterisks are used to denote sarcasm...

Last edited by tangelag; 05-08-2018 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: Clarification...

Old 05-08-2018, 10:20 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,584,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
I saw that. Very nasty.
Are you talking about my post being nasty? Because if you are, I would like you to take a look at something.

I am *seriously* about to lose my cool here. I mean, I am absolutely *livid.*

^^^Do you see what I just did there, using asterisks instead of bold type for emphasis? Go back and read the rest of my posts, after I got accused of being "nasty."

Then, both you and WW can come back and apologize to me for totally misrepresenting my intentions.

Last edited by Catgirl64; 05-08-2018 at 10:28 PM..

Old 05-08-2018, 10:29 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,584,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
I saw that. Very nasty.

Asterisks are used to denote sarcasm...
Well, I didn't know that, and I have never used them that way. In any case, did you not even bother to read my explanation after this first came up?

I use sarcasm pretty often, but I generally don't feel the need to explain the fact that I am being sarcastic, I generally (and probably foolishly) assume that most literate people will be able to detect it without assistance.

I need to sign off for a while, before I start using language that gets me a C-D vacation.

I might also need to cry a little bit, for being thought so completely hateful, and no, I am not being sarcastic. That really hurt.

Last edited by Catgirl64; 05-08-2018 at 10:44 PM..

Old 05-08-2018, 10:50 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,067,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Well, I didn't know that, and I have never used them that way. In any case, did you not even bother to read my explanation after this first came up?

I use sarcasm pretty often, but I generally don't feel the need to explain the fact that I am being sarcastic, I generally (and probably foolishly) assume that most literate people will be able to detect it without assistance.

I need to sign off for a while, before I start using language that gets me a C-D vacation.

I might also need to cry a little bit, for being thought so completely hateful, and no, I am not being sarcastic. That really hurt.
A few weeks ago I wrote a post (don't even remember what about), and someone accused the whole post of being racist. It was so odd, because I hadn't said the first thing regarding race or ethnicity or even anything even in the ballpark. Someone defended me and my post which I was really grateful for.

It's just the internet...but still...

And meanwhile one of the persons accusing you does not seem all that articulate, so take it with a grain of salt.

BTW, although we don't agree politically, I have always found you fair and approachable in discussions, which is more than I can say for *most* commentators.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:06 PM

10,735 posts, read 4,338,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
That would be an Oscar worthy perfomance, for sure, if she could just keep from gagging on camera.
She can do it.
Portman is the only actress in the history of the world to win 26 best actress awards for one role (Black Swan).

Old 05-09-2018, 01:54 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,284,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I don't see it that way at all.

People who are attacking her lack of English skills are the very same ones that say immigrants don't need to learn English and that everything should be in English and Spanish. It is those people who are the hypocrites.
I must have missed this. Can you please provide quotes from these people?

Also, do you mind when immigrants don’t learn English after living in the States for a while?

Old 05-09-2018, 08:50 AM

9,329 posts, read 4,139,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I believe that Melania has lived in the U.S. for 20 years. With her husband's money she could have hired the best tutors in the country to perfect her use of language AND the best tutors to minimize her accent. She did neither. As far as I can tell, she has never done much of anything that required actual work or studying (even when she was a model, she wasn't good enough to be with a top agency).

Yes, I'm happy to welcome others, but when they have a role where they deal with the public, they should make an effort with the language - that applies just as much to a sales clerk as to a First Lady.

You're right, though. We do waste no time slamming Melania, partly because we've never before had a First Lady who was such a disgrace to the position. She's very lovely, but very uneducated, apparently with no interests beyond family and family, has never held what most people would consider a real job, and has the dubious distinction of being the only FLOTUS to have posed nude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
My grandmother came here from Poland. She was able to escape in the early 30s; her sister was not so lucky, and her sister's husband was killed by the Nazis. My grandmother was a "shop clerk" here; she and her Polish husband opened a store. She never would have had the money or the time to focus exclusively on her language skills.

My grandmother never spoke English well. She had a thick accent until the day she died. She never received much of an education. Among her grandchildren are a Harvard educated lawyer, a multiple Emmy award winner, several doctors, a Ph.D., successful business people, teachers, and so on.

So please take your condescending attitudes towards language acquisition and education and stick em in your ear. BTW, do you support "press one for English and two for Spanish?" Do you approve of government forms being printed in English and Spanish?

For some odd reason, you apparently think you're refuting me, but you're not. I'm talking about the emigre; you're talking about the descendants.

I'll repeat, Melania is a woman with tons of money at her disposal, and apparently tons of time on her hands, yet she did nothing in any concentrated way to improve her language skills, not even when she was going to be in the public eye. We're not talking about your grandmother who had neither the time nor the money - nor the incentive - to take up a major study of English.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:04 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,960 times
Before Trump bought her, Melania's claim to fame was that she had the largest breast implants in Slovenia.

Now she is very rich, wears expensive clothes, urinates in Gold Toilets, and has become "The Champion of Bullied Children".

She has gone from being known for Big Boobs, to being knows for marrying the Biggest Boob.

A true success story.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:30 AM

4,559 posts, read 1,435,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
For some odd reason, you apparently think you're refuting me, but you're not. I'm talking about the emigre; you're talking about the descendants.

I'll repeat, Melania is a woman with tons of money at her disposal, and apparently tons of time on her hands, yet she did nothing in any concentrated way to improve her language skills, not even when she was going to be in the public eye. We're not talking about your grandmother who had neither the time nor the money - nor the incentive - to take up a major study of English.
Focus is on the apparent contempt for her audience,
She runs with the Trump crowd. Why expect anything outside their norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies