Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: White privilege, based on the quote in the OP:
I think it exists. 64 30.05%
Maybe it does exist, but only in the form mentioned in the quote. 4 1.88%
Sometimes, yes. Sometimes, no. 27 12.68%
I don't agree with the quote. 33 15.49%
No way it exists and the quote and this question are silly. 85 39.91%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 03:08 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,296,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Its worth pointing out that *insert ethnic group privilege" has been historically used as a defense for genocide and massacres. "Ethnic Tutsi privilige" was beamed from radio stations all throughout Rwanda to rile up the masses into a frenzy which resulted in a genocide against tutsis. Same was true with portrayal of "Jewish privilege" in Nazi Germany, and massacres against ethnic Chinese in Indonesia as they were portrayed as a privileged successful group who kept the common Indonesian man down. Result was thousands of ethnic Chinese massacred.

This rhetoric is dangerous and is definitely used to demonize and antagonize people. This adversarial approach to social issues is highly destructive and only benefit a select few at the top, not common Americans.

Yes. 100% yes.

People thing Nazis and Hitler didn't "like the Jewish religion".... they gave two craps about people of other religions. Hitler was fond of Muslims and thought they were macho compared to weak Christianity.

No. Hitler and the Nazis singled out the ETHNICITY of the Jewish people as a group that was privileged and held power in Germany. They highlighted the comparable wealth of the Jews vs. the normal German. Showed how they advanced each other, etc. Basically, the Nazis advanced a "Jewish Privilege" theory and used it to foment hatred.

THAT is what is going on right now vis-a-vis "white privilege." You see it in the way that open hostility towards white people is OK in some circles. And if you think it's just the minority, remember that real Nazis were only a fraction of the German population, but they still came to power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 03:41 PM

33,465 posts, read 17,983,921 times
I have not experienced white privilege. I do not believe it exists for simply being white.

Privilege exists for those who belong to an exclusive member of privilege to various kinds of treatment. In other words through money,fame,or social standing doors open, pampered treatment is expected.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:52 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,079,583 times
Quote:
What's interesting is that people who insist on how immense the "white privilege" is in society, will often deny that they have "heterosexual, tall, cis gender privilege" for example. They will refuse to check their own privilege every morning and will not acknowledge that they benefit from the oppression of others. So in the end, it all seems to be a case of wanting to be a victim. When they are told that they are also the oppressor, they start getting defensive.
I'm not sure that's true.

I know plenty of people who acknowledge hetero privilege, cis privilege, and even body shape privilege.

I think people struggle over the word "privilege" and that is what makes this concept so problematic.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The idea of white privilege is ridiculous and it is snowflake speak......something to be mocked IMO. I have nothing but contempt for those who believe in this sort of thing. Those who obsess about what is or is not PC and worry about the so called white privilege are left wing trash and enemies of America. I wish they would all take thier coloring books and go crawl into thier safe spaces and leave the rest of normal America alone.
Do you even know what it means?

For starters, it's not something a person WORRIES over at all.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
I find the whole Op kind of silly....ask any while person who was deny a job due to a requirement to filling a minority quota system in things like the police or fire department or a quota on minority students over whites entering college.
That really is missing the point.

Why do we have "quota" systems in the first place? Because white privilege exists.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I have not experienced white privilege. I do not believe it exists for simply being white.

Privilege exists for those who belong to an exclusive member of privilege to various kinds of treatment. In other words through money,fame,or social standing doors open, pampered treatment is expected.
Do you get followed around stores based on your skin color, while people think you might be a shoplifter?

Do you worry when a police officer stops your car that you might get shot, even though you don't think you did anything wrong?

Have you ever been accused of getting a job or gaining admission to a university solely because you were being used to fill a racial quota?

If you have never had these things happen, you HAVE experienced white privilege.

Old 05-08-2018, 04:05 PM

11,906 posts, read 5,535,451 times
Quote:
What's interesting is that people who insist on how immense the "white privilege" is in society, will often deny that they have "heterosexual, tall, cis gender privilege" for example. They will refuse to check their own privilege every morning and will not acknowledge that they benefit from the oppression of others. So in the end, it all seems to be a case of wanting to be a victim. When they are told that they are also the oppressor, they start getting defensive.
I'm pretty sure that I acknowledged the existence of other forms of privilege in a previous post.

Old 05-08-2018, 04:05 PM

24,252 posts, read 9,146,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post

Nope.

Privilege is taking advantage of being born in America by being a highly succesful productive member of society.

One has already won the lottery just by being born in America.

White privilege. Are you saying some ugly, poor, fat, and short white guy has more privilege than a tall, handsome, in shape middle class black guy? No. Not a chance.

Old 05-08-2018, 04:06 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,900,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I'm not sure that's true.

I know plenty of people who acknowledge hetero privilege, cis privilege, and even body shape privilege.

I think people struggle over the word "privilege" and that is what makes this concept so problematic.
I disagree. I think the most vocal people who feel they are oppressed by "white privilege" turn defensive when they are accused of benefiting from the oppression of others by having cis gender privilege, tall privilege or some other so-called privilege which they should check everyday and pay a price for. Its highly adversarial by design.

Old 05-08-2018, 04:07 PM

6,108 posts, read 3,328,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
That really is missing the point.

Why do we have "quota" systems in the first place? Because white privilege exists.
Quotas are nothing but reverse discrimination. It was used to make snowflakes/do-gooders feel good.
Overall it helped no one in the long scheme of things. If a person, no matter what his/her race is, can't make it on their qualified talent or skills then they shouldn't do it over the backs of others who are more qualified or skilled.... no matter their race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies