Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: White privilege, based on the quote in the OP:
I think it exists. 64 30.05%
Maybe it does exist, but only in the form mentioned in the quote. 4 1.88%
Sometimes, yes. Sometimes, no. 27 12.68%
I don't agree with the quote. 33 15.49%
No way it exists and the quote and this question are silly. 85 39.91%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 07:40 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,806,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I didn't say anything about their problems - how could I? I have no idea what their problems are.

What I did say is that their problems are compounded by being black (probably not every problem, but some problems).
How do you know s/he has any at all? You assume based on skin color that there are challenges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 07:40 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
You're implying it. Talk about back tracking your victim mentality of minorities.
S/he is not implying anything. You are going off on a tangent. This is clearly a difficult concept for some people to grasp b/c it is not so black and white. No pun intended.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:42 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,806,221 times
Quote:
No. I can't really say, because I am not black, so I don't know if maybe you were bullied in school, looked over for a job, given a fake excuse when you tried to rent something; if you have been unfairly treated while driving, followed while shopping, have women hold their purses tight when approaching you on the sidewalk - there are a bunch of things that can happen day-to-day - if you have escaped all of them, that is amazing.
Shelby Steele has a great book called White Guilt. I highly recommend it.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:42 PM

24,596 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
This school handed out white privilege pamphlets, but it backfired

Big time . Clueless liberals ! It’s not right these youing kids were meant to feel less than because of social justice warrior teachers .
Liberals have a lot to learn. Feeding this white privilege crap only harms minorities with inferior and insecure feelings. Further inhibiting education achievement and contributing to the self-inflicted cultural harm of anti-intellectualism and accusations of "acting white."

Liberals, please stop telling minorities they don't have enough privilege to be successful in this country. Just stop it.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:43 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
How do you know s/he has any at all? You assume based on skin color that there are challenges.
Show me a human being without problems or challenges.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
You're implying it. Talk about back tracking your victim mentality of minorities.
I never implied that black people can't be successful because of their skin color. That allegation is offensive to me. Please stop twisting my words.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
S/he is not implying anything. You are going off on a tangent. This is clearly a difficult concept for some people to grasp b/c it is not so black and white. No pun intended.
I'm African American, indeed it's very difficult for me to understand how my skin color is suppose to stop me from doing what I want in this country after the election of a black man as president for 8 years.

This is not Somalia, Mexico, or Vietnam.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
I never implied that black people can't be successful because of their skin color. That allegation is offensive to me. Please stop twisting my words.
Then admit how absurd it is to say white privilege exists when there are whites on welfare living in trailer parks in 2018.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:49 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
Of course it exists. Ask anyone in the KKK. Ask any cop. Ask the disproportionate number of people incarcerated for what white people do as much but get caught for less. Drive through any ghetto. Most young people never heard the expression "free, white and 21". The expression may be out of fashion, but the aftermath lingers on.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:49 PM

On white privilege: I expect the backlash from racist white people - surprised at the responses from black people thinking that somehow the acknowledgement is making them victims. I honestly don't know how to respond to this.

The white privilege classes I took were many years ago - there are probably people who have been educated more recently who might be able to address the criticisms from black people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies