Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 10:06 AM

36,531 posts, read 30,856,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
USA is the ONLY country in the world that separates asylum seeker parents from their children.

The ONLY country. And it does so contrary to international law. That's the stuff the Nuremberg Trials convicted people for, and "just following orders" is not an excuse.

Proud to be an 'Murican?
They are separating those who come over the border illegally. Anyone crossing the border illegally will be prosecuted. Anyone smuggling a child over the border will be prosecuted.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:07 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
They are separating those who come over the border illegally. Anyone crossing the border illegally will be prosecuted. Anyone smuggling a child over the border will be prosecuted.
They were seeking asylum, not smuggling children over the border.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I read a little over 4K.
And how many has the US taken in. How many have passed up Mexico for the US border hoping to be let in?
There is no requirement that they ask for asylum in Mexico so what exactly is your point?

Old 06-15-2018, 10:12 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
I am not disputing the right to asylum. I even made that distinction in my comment, they aren't recognized as asylum seekers... because they don't qualify. That little detail is pretty clear and important but you choose to be dense about it and keep churning this thing.

Let's get these givens out of the way:

Separating children from parents is bad.

When someone is arrested for breaking the law and are caught, they are arrested and taken to jail.

Children are not taken to jail.

Anyone can claim to be an asylum seeker.

Not all asylum seekers are recognized as qualified refugees.

Some of those asylum seekers, not qualified as refugees, choose to enter illegally.

Some asylum seekers probably never went through the correct process and choose to enter the country illegally.

Only parents entering illegally are arrested and have their children taken.

Qualified refugees entering the country are not separated from their children.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Quit shouting. Applying for asylum after entering the US is perfectly legal, if your petition is denied you can be deported, it truly is that simple. I don't care if they are admitted or deported but the integrity of the family unit should be preserved.
Quote:
What is that process?! That's what I want to know. Can anyone can walk up to the border, literally get in line at the Tijuana garita, walk in to the BP building and say "Hi my name is Juancho Panzagorda" and they are whisked away to a special refugee processing line? Or do they have to file paperwork through their own government, and go through some vetting process before they are given approval? If it's the former, then why don't hundreds of thousands of people just walk up to the border and do the same? There are thousands of Haitians imst the Mexican border right now, they can't cross. Why do they do the same?

Even this cry me a river article makes the clear that they are entering illegally.

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2...uprisings-acr/

It's a horrible thing that when people break the law, they arrested and then separated from their children? This happens everywhere, since forever, is it backwards day?
What is the process. I don't think it is as you described. How does a person physically apply for asylum. Is it in the home country? At the border crossing? Somewhere along the fence? Is there an office in Mexico?

Old 06-15-2018, 10:14 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,399 times
Quote:
Anyone can claim to seek asylum. What is the specifics of being legally recognized as such.

At this point nobody has shown that legally recognized asylum seekers or refugees have their children taken away.

I know people here are going to ignore this detail and we'll be at the same point three pages later.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Yes, qualified refugee claimants are any refugee claimant. Are you proud that the USA is acting contrary to international treaties (which become the law of the land) that it agreed to?

How will other countries ever TRUST the USA again if they won't adhere to the agreements they made? You know, one's like Iran and North Korea.

Trust in the USA has been eroded in the world. Once a trust is broken it is very difficult to get back, Trump or no Trump.

So far, Trump has achieved Putin's goal of creating chaos in the western world.
That link did not show instances of actual people going to port of entry requesting asylum from an agent then being separated from their children.

What agreement is the US violating?

Old 06-15-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
What is the process. I don't think it is as you described. How does a person physically apply for asylum. Is it in the home country? At the border crossing? Somewhere along the fence? Is there an office in Mexico?
There are two ways to apply for asylum, affirmatively - which means applying while in your home country, or defensively which means you are applying after you enter the US. Both are legal.

https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/r...-united-states

Old 06-15-2018, 10:32 AM

62,941 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
I read a little over 4K.
And how many has the US taken in. How many have passed up Mexico for the US border hoping to be let in?

75% asylum seekers are denied. Goes to show how many of their claims are bogus.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Not if they came over illegally. If they went to port of entry and qualified for asylum they were not separated.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
"An asylum-seeking mother hoping for a better life for her children trekked to the United States only to have them taken from her."

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...485061521.html

She did not meet the qualifications for asylum and is being deported due to her CRIMINAL HISTORY thus does not qualify for family detention.

Next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies