Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 03:21 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Catch and release doesn’t work. Few show up for their hearings and then if subsequently caught the far left screams it isn’t right to deport them.

And if they manage to fly under the radar and not get caught for a number of years, then they have "made a life here" and "opened a business here" and become "pillars of the community" and it's a travesty of justice to deport them now.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:31 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Most of these people are seeking border guards to turn themselves in hope they are granted asylum. Again we can have a healthy debate but needs to be based on facts. The issue is not a question of should we defend our borders. The question is should we separate kids from their parents are process them together like we have always done. I have yet to see anyone on this board in support of just letting them thru.
Asylum requests only at recognized ports of entry. Crossing illegally then yelling asylum, nope, they are charged under 8 USC 1182. Prosecuted then deported. Those that cross illegally with kids WILL be removed from the parents or whoever is stupid enough to drag kids through a desert in the summer. They should be charged with child endangerment.

A legitimate asylum claim only at ports of entry. Period.

Old 06-16-2018, 05:55 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Here it is, straight from the horses mouth. This should end all the BS in this thread.

Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Alex Azar told Rep. Suzanne Bonamici (D-OR), who asked about the family separation policy.

“individual children are separated from their parents only when those parents cross the border illegally and are arrested. We can’t have children with parents who are in incarceration, and so then they’re given to me. If one presents at an actual border crossing and presents a case to come into this country, one is not arrested and one’s children are not separated from them.”

https://www.c-span.org/video/?446333...ncy-priorities
Azar is either stupid, lying or both...

Quote:
"But it isn’t that simple. The new zero-tolerance policy applies to everyone crossing the border without documentation — and that includes people seeking asylum. While the family separation isn’t indefinite, it is still happening. Parents are separated from their kids, who are then considered to have crossed the border as “unaccompanied minors.

https://thinkprogress.org/health-sec...-94349d027a59/

Old 06-16-2018, 06:18 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Does it look like the kids are in "cages"?
Actually it looks pretty nice. The place is clean, the food looks good, the kids get exercise, etc. It may even be better than the places that they originally lived in.(and looks a whole lot better than the cages in that 2014 picture)
Why is it so hard to understand that this is about more than colorful bedspreads and time to play soccer, these kids were taken from their parents, some kids never recover from that and as incompetent as DHS is some of these kids will probably never see their parents again.

If these children were citizens you wouldn't be talking about how good the food looks you would be raising holy hell.

Quote:
The toddler pounded her fists on the play mat, sobbing, with no parent to comfort her.

Dr. Colleen Kraft watched from across the room, shaken by what she saw. "She was just inconsolable. ... We all knew why she was crying," says Kraft, president of the American Academy of Pediatrics. "She was crying because she wanted her mother, and there was nothing we could do." Kraft had been invited by local pediatricians to visit a government shelter for immigrant children in Combes, Texas. The majority of the kids there, she says, had been separated from their parents. "I've never been in this situation where I've felt so needlessly helpless," she told CNN. "This is something that was inflicted on this child by the government, and really is nothing less than government-sanctioned child abuse."

Kraft visited the shelter -- one of more than 100 in the country -- this spring, shortly before administration officials announced that every person caught illegally crossing the border would be referred for prosecution, effectively making it an official policy to separate children from their parents. Administration officials have defended the approach, arguing they're protecting children in custody and that separations of immigrant families at the border are no different than what happens when anyone accused of a crime is arrested.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/14/healt...ors/index.html

Old 06-16-2018, 06:32 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Azar is either stupid, lying or both...

https://thinkprogress.org/health-sec...-94349d027a59/
Someone is stupid, lying, or in denial and I don't think it's Azar, guy was testifying before a committee.

Old 06-16-2018, 06:37 PM

800 posts, read 508,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
We have a coward as a president.
I believe you have your dates mixed up. This is 2018, not 2015.

Old 06-16-2018, 06:54 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
Borders = arbitrary lines on a map. Nothing more.
Perhaps someone should pull their RV into your front yard and camp out for a week in August this year. The "border" of your property is an arbitrary line on a county/city/township map, nothing more.

Would be kind of interesting to see your reaction to this event.....lol. I'd actually pay money to watch this unfold. Maybe you could be really hospitable and give them some firewood for their campfire too while you're at it :-) Smores anybody ?

I had a neighbor (he's moved out now) you'd really love. "J" was super obsessive about his property line. He owned two lots, one treed lot was vacant. The neighbor kids (6-10 years old, including my daughter at times) would occasionally wander this vacant lot while playing hide and seek and other kid games, and "J" would chase them out of there. He seemed to think boarders on his vacant lot were so important to the extant that it even pissed me off at times.

But you camping in my front yard, uninvited, now that's another matter entirely....to me anyway.

Old 06-16-2018, 06:59 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/im...ursday-n883171

Excellent!

Good on these protestors for using their First Amendment rights to stand up to this un-American government tyranny. This is the real spirit of America.
It's ridiculous. You are cheering for people who are protesting against equal treatment under the laws of our land. Next week, maybe they can go out and protest against american citizens who break the law and go to jail being separated from their children. Please, America, get a grip and learn what equal justice under the law means. These people are committing a crime. Thus, they receive punishment. And yes, they don't get to take their kids along with them. And neither could I if I broke the law and went to jail. How do so many people not understand this.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:15 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
It's ridiculous. You are cheering for people who are protesting against equal treatment under the laws of our land. Next week, maybe they can go out and protest against american citizens who break the law and go to jail being separated from their children. Please, America, get a grip and learn what equal justice under the law means. These people are committing a crime. Thus, they receive punishment. And yes, they don't get to take their kids along with them. And neither could I if I broke the law and went to jail. How do so many people not understand this.

The parents separated themselves from their children by their decisions. American taxpayers are not guilty. We have no say on whether or not somebody wants to take a chance breaking our laws. They should have placed their kids first and they did not by unwise decisions. The same thing happens when any US parent decides to break our laws; they are separated from their kids and nobody protest!

Old 06-16-2018, 07:50 PM

997 posts, read 710,354 times
If illegals are caught with children they should keep them together in detention centers and send them back over the border to Mexico. Then no separation of children. Of course children cannot be sent to a real jail with the parents.

Perhaps these people have figured out if they bring children there is a better chance of being allowed to stay.

Why does it seem like people think the US should abandon immigration laws and let all comers in from points south and elsewhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.