Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 06:55 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
You're free to have any opinion you want on the matter as we all are. I doubt you want serious discourse from people you disagree with. But FWIW, I believe it's fundamentally wrong what is happening at the borders. We're separating kids from their families and shipping them off to a disused Walmart somewhere in Texas. It's inhumane and certainly not Christian-like.

via Imgflip Meme Generator

Not sure why this isn't obvious to everyone!

Families are the foundation of our society; not laws, borders or even the Constitution.

And since families sometimes commit crimes together, we should make provisions in the law for parents that bring their minor children along when they break the law.

From now on, if any adult commits a misdemeanor with their child present, both the adult and the child must be arrested and locked-up together!

Old 06-17-2018, 06:57 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I don’t understand why this is a controversial policy. People who are breaking our laws should be punished for doing so. If that means being separated from their families, then so be it?

I am not feeling the empathy here, folks. I believe in enforcing law and order. What am I missing?
Because this is America. Not Nazi germany, or communist Russia.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:59 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
There is about 1.3 billion people living in severe poverty. If we were take in 1 million of them each year in ten years you would have taken in 10 million of them, 1.29 billion of them would still be in poverty. If we were to take in 10 million of them a year we would increase the population here in the US by 100 million people and 1.2 billion of them would still be in poverty.

The bottom line is these issues need to be addressed where they live.

Quote:
Every one of these parents should sue the U.S. government for the trauma this has caused them and these children!
They have chosen to break the law and enter this country illegally, it's about time there is consequences for that because it will help prevent this from happening in the future.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:00 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,846,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
CBP is physically blocking them from entering via a port of entry forcing them to enter the US elsewhere. I will tell you right now, this is not going to turn out well for Trump and the people in his administration who are forcing this to happen.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...asylum-illegal

Trump and Sessions should be sued into bankruptcy for blocking these people's right to seek asylum, and the trauma caused to these families. What freakin, soulless subhuman sociopaths!

Old 06-17-2018, 07:01 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I'm not particularly religious myself.

I just know hypocrisy when I see it.
Well then perhaps you should refrain from stating an opinion until you have educated yourself more thoroughly about the issue.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:02 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I don't get all of the hub bub. You commit any crime and you get separated from your family, wtf is the difference here??? The pearl clutching and moral outrage is sickening.
Do kids typically get thrown into cages or jails themselves?

Old 06-17-2018, 07:02 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Trump and Sessions should be sued into bankruptcy for blocking these people's right to seek asylum, and the trauma caused to these families. What freakin, soulless subhuman sociopaths!
Leftist progressive crap drivel.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:03 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Well then perhaps you should refrain from stating an opinion until you have educated yourself more thoroughly about the issue.
He said he was not religious, NOT that he was ignorant.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-17-2018, 07:04 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
You're free to have any opinion you want on the matter as we all are. I doubt you want serious discourse from people you disagree with. But FWIW, I believe it's fundamentally wrong what is happening at the borders. We're separating kids from their families and shipping them off to a disused Walmart somewhere in Texas. It's inhumane and certainly not Christian-like.

via Imgflip Meme Generator
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I'm confused.

Does the Left want Christan morals setting government policy now?

Or do you just want to pick and choose which parts of the Church you want separated from the State as it suits your agenda?
I believe that Joe the Photog was making a Christian reference because Sessions used a Biblical reference in justifying this policy. And he makes fun of Sessions because Christian philosophy does not include breaking up families; in fact, they overwhelmingly favor treating the immigrant with justice and kindness. But he was pulling the Bible into the discussion only because Sessions used a quotation to justify an inhumane policy.
This is nothing new. People all over the world have been bending religious tenets to justify their bad behavior.

I think you would not find a lot of people on the Left who want to set up a Christian government. Separation of Church and State is a Constitutional imperative. I would say, however, that we want the people we elect to have a basic sense of morality, regardless of what religious tradition they follow.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:11 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
He said he was not religious, NOT that he was ignorant.
The subtext of his comment indicated that he has no idea about the content of Romans 13 or how and by whom it is being used to justify removing children from their parents' care upon detention by ICE. The act of separating families is unconscionable, and the Christian morality being tossed about in support of this travesty is coming from the right, not the left. And it's not even good theology, as is evidenced by the outcry by clergy across the nation who are opposed to what the administration is doing. For goodness sake, even Franklin Graham has made public statement against the policy of separating immigrant families!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies