Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 09:10 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
My comparison makes perfect sense. Children of Americans who go to jail are "completely helpless" and "have no voice". How can you not see that?

So...do I have this right? You are saying that it's perfectly okay to separate kids from their parents when parents commit crimes and go to jail? Yet you think it's horrifying when it happens to illegal aliens?

What is "disgusting" is that you hold double standards. Why should the kids of illegal aliens be treated better than the kids who have parents in jail?

What you don't get is that these illegal aliens are to blame when they get separated from their kids. It's the same when people commit crimes and go to jail.

It's a form of child abuse to drag young children hundreds of miles through Mexico. Many of these so-called asylum seekers think nothing of climbing aboard La Bestia with their kids despite the fact that scores of illegals have fallen off the train and either been killed or mutilated. If these parents were true asylum seekers, then they would have asked Mexico for asylum rather than put their kids through that abuse. We all know why they want to come to the US, and that is for all the freebies.

There is an old saying which I'll paraphrase --- The sins of the parents fall on the child. None of us had any control over what our parents did or didn't do to or for us when we were growing up. That's life. Deal with it.

So where does it stop with you? Do we, for example, give everyone who grew up poor a big fat check because, after all, it wasn't their fault they grew up poor?

It's sad that these so-called asylum seekers treat their children so poorly but that is on them, not on anyone in this country. Their parents don't care about the best interests of their children, that much is clear. You, no doubt, have seen illegals who birth anchor babies and when the parents get deported, they refuse to take their kids with them and instead abandon them to foster care. Or how about the minors who show up at the border with the address and phone number of their parent(s)? The BP will call the parent(s) and tell them to get their kid and the parent(s) never shows up. They don't show up because they're here illegally and don't want to be caught. That is despicable.

Last year, there was a story about a girl from Ecuador whose parents were illegally in the US. They paid a coyote they never met to sneak their child into this country. The poor girl made it Tijuana and was put in a children's shelter where she hanged herself. What decent parent hands their child over to a total stranger? Many of these kids have been killed, trafficked or raped at the hands of the coyotes.

If I had a child and was in true need of asylum, I would go to the embassy/consulate of the country where I wanted to live in order to start the process. Either that, or if there was a safe country that bordered the one I was in, I would ask there rather than drag my child hundreds of miles.
You literally did not read anything I said.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:13 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Do you realize that there is nothing in any law or treaty that requires this, right? US law and treaties allow for asylum to be made, not matter how a border was crossed, once the person is in the USA.

Quit deflecting.

Separating the children from their parent is cruel and immoral, and no spin will make it otherwise.
do you have a reference for the bolded?

do these laws and treaties require that asylum must be granted in such circumstances?

Old 06-18-2018, 09:13 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,083,837 times
Melania suddenly wants to start talking politics, as she tweeted the other day about how much she wants to see separating kids from their parents come to an end.

POTUS Trump, at any time, could make a phone call and say it needs to stop immediately. But no, Trump lied as usual, saying Friday that "this is the democrat's law." No it isn't. The "zero tolerance policy" started in April 2018, under Donald Trump.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:14 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
We are the only country in the world that separates the children of asylum seekers from their families, not one. I have no problem with deporting them if their petition isn't granted but detain them as a family and deport them as a family, to do otherwise is inhumane and cruel.

If immigration advocates wanted families housed together then they shouldn't have spent the past 5 years getting family detention centers blocked or shut down.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:15 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Where is it written conservatives are supposed to be god fearing, love thy neighbor.

Where should we put these people illegally smuggling children across the boarder, the Hilton?
Some of the photos looked a lot like homeless shelter we have for our citizens, if they are lucky enough to get into a shelter. Are you concerned about putting them up at the Hilton too.
The majority of conservatives claim to be a God believing types and for those that are my post applies to them.
No, those children should be left with thier parents I agree that we shouldn’t have to flip the bill for these children.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Then they should be deported as a unit immediately. If you want to go all "natural consequences" then keep in mind that the reaction must be proportional and appropriate, which is deportation not child abduction at the hands of the U.S. government.

Tell ya what, I'll support this every day of the week and twice on Sunday if you can get the Dems to sgin on to it and not block it in the courts.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:22 AM

So "asylum" is the big loophole in immigration laws? If you break any immigration laws and get away with it, you live your life in the US as an illegal. If you get caught, plead for asylum.

What is to stop every single one of the 15-20 million illegals in this country from shouting "I want to apply for asylum" when caught?

Old 06-18-2018, 09:23 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Once again, for the umpteeth time:

8 U.S. Code § 1158 - Asylum
US Code
(a) Authority to apply for asylum
(1) In general
Any alien who is physically present in the United States or who arrives in the United States (whether or not at a designated port of arrival and including an alien who is brought to the United States after having been interdicted in international or United States waters), irrespective of such alien’s status, may apply for asylum in accordance with this section or, where applicable, section 1225(b) of this title.
right, the point at which i asked was well before you started posting this over and over.

nothing in what you cited above addresses the separation issue, though.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:23 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
lmao at all the bleeding heart far Leftists who think separating the illegals from their children is so horrific. Do you nuts think it's just as horrific when it happens to Americans who break the law and go to jail?
If the left had it's way, they'd leave so many people in the U.S. we'd go broke....where do they think all the money is coming from, when our own vets and homeless are in need?

Old 06-18-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
There are photos of the inside of some of these facilities and they’re not great. This last weekend a group of doctors visited a location where they discovered that employees were not allowed to physically interact with the kids. They witnessed a toddler crying while employees stood to the side as they weren’t allowed to comfort the child.

Unacceptable.

Blame the liberal courts who have decreed that detention centers are not licensed day care centers and thus cannot provide care to children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies