Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 08:50 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
And who displaced them from their homes, knowing the consequences?
Why do you think they knew the consequences? Do you know the laws of Mexico, El Salvador, Honduras, and Guatemala?

What displaced them from their homes is violent gangs. El Salvador has the highest murder rate in the world; Honduras is 2nd, Guatemala is 15th, and Mexico is 20th. If I was a parent who lived in such a dangerous place, I'd do anything to protect my child.

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Drug dealers go to jail when caught, how many who hire illegals face anything but fines?
Don't like the punishment? Change the law. Right now the law doesn't specify jail time for hiring illegals, it does for dealing drugs.

Harboring illegals can lead to up to 10 years in prison. How many "sanctuary city" mayors or state governors have been charged with harboring illegals and face no punishment at all? I don't see you ever pushing for those laws to be enforced.

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
And yet, in Acts 5, when the Apostles were going to be arrested again for preaching the Gospel (a crime), they stated that they must obey God over mans' law.

And let us not forget that this country came to exist because the colonists revolted against England's unjust laws.
Again, reason the bible should not be referenced in US law and policy. It is irrelevant and this thing called separation of church and state.

How does the US revolutionary war for independence from Britain have any bearing on illegal immigration. Are you saying South Americans should take over the US in revolt against US immigration law?

Old 06-19-2018, 08:52 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
What difference does it make? Liberals have been saying for years the US isn't a Christian country. Whether it's "Christian" or not doesn't matter, right? According to the left religion, especially Christianity, has no business being involved in politics or laws.

Criminals are separated from their children every day all around the world and have been as long as there have been laws to be broken.

It's not liberals that were using the bible here.
It was Jeff Sessions and Sarah Huckabee Sanders.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:57 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Aren't parents who drag their kids to a foreign border and attempt to cross illegally abusive by definition? Isn't separating children from abusive parents a good thing?
When they are trying to escape violence in their own country? That is child abuse? Interesting point of view

Old 06-19-2018, 08:58 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
here's the thing, those children, are being treated way better than a lot of our own kids right here in America, kids that are going hungry and being abused, mentally and physically....but these kids will be well cared for, screened for any health problems, vaccinations, food, and a safe warm bed to sleep in.

The media is trying to make it out like they're being treated like prisoners...abused and left alone, they are not...they have more right now, probably than they've ever had before, and they will be reunited with their parents.

This is the reason I am so split on this. Everyone is getting so upset for illegals, but where is the passion and anger for those who are citizens of the US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Cardinal Dolan's take on this sorry situation.

https://twitter.com/ChrisCuomo/statu...98924629823488
Cardinal Dolan needs to read the bible because it does say to follow the laws of the land even if we disagree with them (anyone remember the fiasco with the county clerk Kim Davis in KY?)

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Why do you think they knew the consequences? Do you know the laws of Mexico, El Salvador, Honduras, and Guatemala?

What displaced them from their homes is violent gangs. El Salvador has the highest murder rate in the world; Honduras is 2nd, Guatemala is 15th, and Mexico is 20th. If I was a parent who lived in such a dangerous place, I'd do anything to protect my child.
Pretty sure they know entering the country illegally is against the law.
Living in a country with high murder rates does not qualify one for refugee status. There are places in the US with high murder rates. Are you saying the entire countries of El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala and Mexico are unsafe?

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/Honduras
https://travel.usnews.com/rankings/b...ico-vacations/

https://www.anywhere.com/Guatemala
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/el-salvador

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Read the whole context of Romans and you see it was more advice by Paul to avoid persecution of jews by the romans. Slaveowners and nazi sypathizers in germany used this same passage incorrectly top advance their position.

Try Matthew 25:43 for Jesus teaching on who we should treat refugees.

I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’

44 “Then they also will answer [a]Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’ 45 Then He will answer them, saying, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.
Do not expect all the pretend Christians who support this ungodly policy to actually heed the words of Christ. It's obvious from their posts that they do not have even a passing acquaintance with the man whose name they usurped for their "religion."

Christ would disavow every one of these fake Christians.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:59 AM

2,983 posts, read 1,166,554 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSXIDec_U_U

Old 06-19-2018, 08:59 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Again, reason the bible should not be referenced in US law and policy. It is irrelevant and this thing called separation of church and state.

How does the US revolutionary war for independence from Britain have any bearing on illegal immigration. Are you saying South Americans should take over the US in revolt against US immigration law?
The point is that history is full of examples of people disobeying unjust laws for good reasons. And again, separating children from their parents at the border is not the law; it is a policy this administration has chosen to enforce and can just as easily discontinue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies