Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 11:57 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
You don't get it do you?
There are not enough people to man the checkpoints and are people are being to told to come back another time. These people have travelled hundreds, in some cases thousands of miles with their kids seeking asylum. They have NOTHING. Where are they supposed to go?

San Luis Potosi, Monterrey, Saltillo, Queretaro, Leon, and many other clean and safe cities in Mexico where they will be free from persecution and violence.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:04 PM

764 posts, read 234,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Why detained? Other countries rarely detain refugee claimants. The Treaties the US has agreed to (and now is breaking) allows for refugee claimants to work in country. Let them pay taxes, rather than be a burden on taxpayers.

It works for most other countries.
Because the overwhelming majority do not show up for their court dates. You already know this. The very fact that you would not support such a law shows that for you it is not about keeping the family together. And to put a point on it this is the United States, not any other country. Our immigration is our business, the rest of the world can do as they please.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:04 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Maybe they should look somewhere other than the US. By now word has gotten around that we are tired of taking everyone in.
Well geography has something to do with it.

And you all say USA is number one.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:08 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
San Luis Potosi, Monterrey, Saltillo, Queretaro, Leon, and many other clean and safe cities in Mexico where they will be free from persecution and violence.
Monterrey? I've got an acquaintance who lives there. That's where 9 bodies, both men and women, were hung from a bridge to warning to others.

Nice, safe place. I'll take it your other recommendations are no better.

Note: Images are graphic, but from a news channel.

Spoiler

764 posts, read 234,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Well geography has something to do with it.

And you all say USA is number one.
And I will ask you the question I am asking everyone else weighing in on this. Would you support a law keeping the families together but DETAINED until their case is adjudicated?

3,841 posts, read 1,977,467 times
Quote:
Why detained? Other countries rarely detain refugee claimants. The Treaties the US has agreed to (and now is breaking) allows for refugee claimants to work in country. Let them pay taxes, rather than be a burden on taxpayers.

From Canada website

"Although Canada has experienced increasing immigration pressures, including receiving in 2017 the highest number of asylum claims in its history, the country has not witnessed the same acrimonious public debate over immigration seen elsewhere. It has adopted important reforms, including the introduction of a National Immigration Detention Framework aimed at improving detention conditions and reducing the use of prisons for immigration reasons. Concerns, however, remain: One third of immigration detainees are still held in prisons, including individuals with mental health conditions; there is no maximum limit to the length of detention; children may be "housed" in detention facilities to prevent the separation of families; Canada is one of only a handful of countries with a mandatory detention policy, which includes detention for up to 12 months with no judicial review; and anti-terrorism provisions in its immigration legislation have been used to detain and deport foreign nationals on secret evidence."

https://www.globaldetentionproject.o...mericas/canada

I agree with their rule that children should be "housed" with a parent. However, in Canada the men are separeted from woman so children are placed with their mothers. They seem to be put in "holding centers" or 1/3 in jails.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:10 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,161,497 times
Trump and Sessions: We must enforce the law at all costs. Zero tolerance!

Mueller: Well, if you insist. Your indictments are almost ready...

Old 06-19-2018, 12:11 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,740,213 times
Don't you Trump cult members get it? He doesn't give a darn about these issues. He wants $ for his wall.
Gotta give it to him, his base believes every one of his lies even when they are proven wrong.
Congratulations folks. Especially you christians I'm sure you are making Jesus proud. Hypocrites as long as it's not your kids being permanently harmed and traumatized right?

Old 06-19-2018, 12:12 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
Because the overwhelming majority do not show up for their court dates. You already know this. The very fact that you would not support such a law shows that for you it is not about keeping the family together. And to put a point on it this is the United States, not any other country. Our immigration is our business, the rest of the world can do as they please.
You are breaking the treaties you signed on to, and complied with for decades. It is NOT only your business. Why should the rest of the world trust anything else you proclaim?

Funny the rest of the world doesn't have this 'huge problem' of people not showing up in droves for hearings. Does it happen? Sure? Is it pervasive? Not a chance.

Why is the rest of the world so much better in handling humanitarian issues than America. The USA used to be the leader and the country that was looked up to.

No more.

Eisenhower, Kennedy, Reagan would turn over in their graves with what is happening.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:13 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,977,467 times
Quote:

France?

https://www.globaldetentionproject.o.../europe/france

Please give me the names of these countries that just allow asylum seekers entry without a processing period so that I can look their immigration policy up for reference.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies