Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 12:55 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Most posters seem to be ignoring a basic fact. These kids committed no crime. And it is morally wrong to lock up people who have not committed a crime, especially minor children. Not only that, immigrating illegally is a civil offense. It is not a violent crime. It is not a felony. It is a crime, but it is considered a minor one in the eyes of the law. Trump and his ilk make illegal immigrants the enemy to deflect from their own misdeeds.
Where should these kids go?
A crime is a crime. Crossing the border illegally is subject to fine and up to two years. Smuggling a person across the border is subject to a fine and up to 10 years.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:58 PM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Why not give us the details how you know the adults are not the parents.
How do you know they are the parents? Why not give us details how you know that they are all with their own parents?

Why are you ignoring the fact that trafficking minors across the border is a big problem?

Old 06-19-2018, 12:59 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
A crime is a crime.
Hopefully you'll get pulled over and fined the next time you drive over the speed limit, Mr. Holy and Perfect.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:00 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
You want to throw children in jail with the parents that broke the law by entering the country illegally, not through a border crossing like they're supposed to?

How that's cruel and inhumane.
They are already imprisoned.

It would not need to be in jail.

Why not the same kind of faculty they are in now? Giving those seeking asylum a court date hoping they'll show up did not work so well.

This whole brouhaha is smoke and mirrors to elicit horror and get the bleeding hearts all worked up.

Nobody really knows who is being kept or why. The administration is telling all kinds of conflicting information.

From what I understand, when apprehended, their possessions are taken and the kids sent elsewhere. They get their court date and are sent back to where they came from. The Trump administration keeps the kids. I call that kidnapping. Better for the kids to be jailed with their parents than kidnapped by HHS.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:00 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Why are you refusing to address the problem of trafficking minors into this country?

Do you think that these people (those who violated the border) should be allowed to stay with the kids, no questions asked? Would you want a trafficker to take one of your own children and be allowed by the police to keep your child, no questions asked?

I don't know about you, but as a parent, I would find such a scenario to be horrifying.

I'm not refusing to do anything. Of course child trafficking is a thing.

You are trying to say all these kids are trafficked.

Listen to this audio - all the way through.
Listen the kids calling out for their mothers and fathers and the 6 year old Salvadorian girl pleading to go with her aunt - giving the the authorities the phone number and pleading with them to call her so that she can leave.

https://www.propublica.org/article/c...gration-policy

Then come back and tell me that these kids are trafficked.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:01 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
There have been a number of people that suggest asylum seekers are breaking the law unless they cross at a border crossing.

Seems legal experts don't support your claims.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1158

(1) In general
Any alien who is physically present in the United States or who arrives in the United States (whether or not at a designated port of arrival and including an alien who is brought to the United States after having been interdicted in international or United States waters), irrespective of such alien’s status, may apply for asylum in accordance with this section or, where applicable, section 1225(b) of this title.
regardless the law also stipulates they can be detained.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:01 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
There have been a number of people that suggest asylum seekers are breaking the law unless they cross at a border crossing.

(1) In general
Any alien who is physically present in the United States or who arrives in the United States (whether or not at a designated port of arrival and including an alien who is brought to the United States after having been interdicted in international or United States waters), irrespective of such alien’s status, may apply for asylum in accordance with this section or, where applicable, section 1225(b) of this title.
Seems you don't understand what you read, and what legal experts?

Anyone who crosses other than at a port of arrival is committing a crime. Period. The fact that someone can apply for asylum later is obviously irrelevant to whether they committed a crime earlier.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:02 PM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Hopefully you'll get pulled over and fined the next time you drive over the speed limit, Mr. Holy and Perfect.
Oh, here we go again! Comparing speeding to being as bad as illegal immigration

We all admit speeding is wrong. Okay? I make an effort to not speed. However, if I did get pulled over, I wouldn't whine about it and demand amnesty from getting a ticket. I would own up to what I did and pay the ticket.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:02 PM

764 posts, read 235,214 times
Quote:

(1) In general
Would you support a law that keeps the families together and DETAINED until their case is adjudicated?

Old 06-19-2018, 01:04 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
Would you support a law that keeps the families together and DETAINED until their case is adjudicated?
YES I do support the law that says that.

I am not for letting them wander around.

The USA can't keep track of its visa holders - -they would never be able to keep up with asylum seekers and refugees.

I have no problem with the law being followed. I have a problem with this administration announcing that they will purposely choose to separate families as a deterrent and as punishment and as a bargaining tool. That's just not right. They are people.

I do support e-verify, and other measures to control illegal immigration.
I do support a merit system if that will help this administration manage the immigration (pssst -- we have a sort of merit system -- for example -- we could only move here if and when my husband had a job).

I am a real fiscal conservative so I think the wall is a huge capital expenditure that would cost more than it would benefit . i don't believe massive amounts of welfare recipients are illegal residents. . My brief and limited exposure to illegals in Georgia suggested these illegals did not WANT any government interaction if they didn't need it. They were even hesitant to accept hand outs that were organized by volunteer groups for fear of being identified as illegal (presents, food, money collected at schools for families in the school who were lower income).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies