Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 09:48 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,393,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
n the easiest way foreigners have to stop being separated from their kids: Don't cross the border illegally. You know the penalty laid out by U.S. law, and which has been laid down by previous administrations as well as the present one. And you knew it long before you ever started your trip to the United States.
This is a new action taken against families that might have been allowable before but other presidents decided it was too heinous.

This is the kind of reasoning where people say - "hey you're guilty of jay walking so if you're killed while in custody, you knew the risks!". Obviously there are a lot of sadists in these roles who relish the opportunity as an excuse to go as extreme as allowed - in an almost gleeful way.

And that's the same feeling on this. We as a country are responsible for enforcing in a REASONABLE way. We're looking more and more like a fascist totalitarian state taking plays out of their playbook instead of one for democracies. Careful, someone just might be coming for you next on some "trump-ed" up charge that gives the excuse for you to be treated in the same manner.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:49 AM

764 posts, read 235,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Fine, change the law but there's no reason to keep separating kids from their parents until the law is changed.
What in your opinion should the procedure be? Keep in mind that release is off the table, and in the absence of changing the law, in 21 days a lawsuit would be filed (in the 9th circuit) and an injunction issued facilitating continuing a policy of ROR until the issue works it's way through the courts. This is where we are today........ The law can be changed in a matter of a couple of days. Public moral outrage will make it happen.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:50 AM

923 posts, read 495,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
Basically, this is what will happen. The children and and parents will be held together until the case is adjudicated...... then they will be deported together. This is what this crisis was meant to facilitate from the beginning.

In addition, the Lefturds will pivot their faux outrage to “Trump to house children with known felons and child abusers.”

There's actually a great deal more to this potential move by Trump that will shine the light of reality on Leftists, but I'll let that wait for the time being - it'll be SO much better after they've crowed about 'backing down" when their house of cards comes crashing down and they go into hypersonic backpedaling.

8,447 posts, read 4,758,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
You know, Uncle Bully, sometimes "the left" or "the right" just doesn't signify.

Now is one of these times. What's important is compassion, not politics. Not "giving in", not "getting our way", not "resisting", not "winning". Just compassion. Doing what's right and what causes the least pain to the least of these, in this case, those innocent children.
Well, Mr. Creek, you make my point. You should be saying this to the OP, not me. He is the one trying to spin Trump doing what you think he should be doing as a negative for him.

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Just what we need more of in the US?
What a move of the goalposts! They're HUMAN BEINGS! They're asking for asylum. They're being pursued by gangs, being murdered (well, obviously not the ones who've made it to the US but their families/friends), raped, all sorts of fun things. Doesn't mean they're ineducable. What a horrible thing to say about PEOPLE!

Old 06-20-2018, 09:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,030,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Why would they hold the Mexican president accountable? You do realize that the majority of these recent people trying to cross are not Mexican, right? Most are from Central American countries like Honduras, Nicaragua and Guatemala seeking asylum/refugee status given their home countries high level of violence. Just because they're brown doesn't make them Mexican. Mexico has actually had net negative migration from the US since the mid-2000s. The undocumented immigrant population from Mexico has dropped by a few million since then.

But don't let facts get in the way of your BS.
Mexico could've stopped them from crossing their country instead of supplying the open road (as long as they don't stop in Mexico). Mexico could care less as long as they don't stop THERE so yes, they do have complicity unless you think they just FLY over Mexico or that they cross the whole country without Mexican authorities knowing...

10,798 posts, read 4,359,845 times
Maybe this will present an opportunity to fire Jeff Sessions.
Trump fired Tillerson because he wasn't on the same page as Trump, so Jeff Sessions can be fired too.

17,273 posts, read 9,571,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
So let me get this straight. Trump institutes a policy of separating children from their mothers and then turns around and claims only a bill can stop it after world wide condemnation. He can stop with a simple phone call. What a DOTARD.
Not only that, he started this policy, then had the gall to say it was the dems that started it. He is such an effing moron liar & his supporters all nod their brain dead heads in agreement.

18,983 posts, read 9,087,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Narrow legislation is being voted on in the House and Senate to enable the LEGAL resolution of this issue. Narrow as in JUST the issues that pertain to keeping the families of illegal aliens together who are caught in the act of violating our laws and illegally entering our country.

Do you object to that?

If so, the reason is obviously that you and the Democrats would prefer to continue to see these people and specifically these children suffer so that you and the Democrats can try to politicize it for some sort of selfish political advantage. Crying children who have been separated from their children, be damned.

So there will be a vote to solve all of this, without all of the other immigration issues being addressed in the legislation. Very narrow.

Are the Democrats in the Senate going to oppose the permanent legislative resolution of this issue by Congress? We will see, probably by tomorrow.
I want to see this "narrow" legislation before I pass judgment. If it is legislation to put an end to the family separation, with nothing else added, then I would expect the Democrats to get behind it. If the GOP tacks on anything else, then we'll know this wasn't a good faith gesture but an attempt to force the Democrats into voting for something they don't want.

I hope you are right and this isn't a shell game. But we've seen this play out that way too many times before, with some poison pill embedded in legislation that ends up killing it.

Let's hope that doesn't happen here.

And once again, let's not lose sight of the fact that Trump doesn't need Congress to pass anything in order to end this if he chose to. He, and he alone, is choosing not to.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:52 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,401,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
What a move of the goalposts! They're HUMAN BEINGS! They're asking for asylum. They're being pursued by gangs, being murdered (well, obviously not the ones who've made it to the US but their families/friends), raped, all sorts of fun things. Doesn't mean they're ineducable. What a horrible thing to say about PEOPLE!
Yawn... more emotional manipulation, conjecture, and hyperbole for political gain. See a therapist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies