Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 03:13 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times

Advertisements

EO summary

Here's what the executive order would do, according to text circulated by the White House:

Trump signs order that he says will keep migrant families together

• It orders Nielsen "to the extent permitted by law and subject to the availability of appropriations" to keep families together during criminal proceedings.
  • The measure says the administration does not have to keep families together "when there is a concern" that detaining a child with a parent "would pose a risk to the child's welfare."
  • It directs Attorney General Jeff Sessions to file a request with a federal district court in California to change a legal settlement that curbs the government's ability to keep children in detention.
  • It orders Sessions to prioritize criminal proceedings for cases involving families.

Maybe it's me... I don't see much here. It all seems to be subjective.

Zero tolerance remains. It's not catch and release like we used to do. It seems like - we will try to give families a higher priority. We will see how it plays out.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:14 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,392,163 times
The ACLU will now sue to once again separate the families citing the Flores decision. Everyone will see that Trump had to separate them and the media will go right on pretending he didnt.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:17 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
EO summary

Here's what the executive order would do, according to text circulated by the White House:

Trump signs order that he says will keep migrant families together

• It orders Nielsen "to the extent permitted by law and subject to the availability of appropriations" to keep families together during criminal proceedings.
  • The measure says the administration does not have to keep families together "when there is a concern" that detaining a child with a parent "would pose a risk to the child's welfare."
  • It directs Attorney General Jeff Sessions to file a request with a federal district court in California to change a legal settlement that curbs the government's ability to keep children in detention.
  • It orders Sessions to prioritize criminal proceedings for cases involving families.

Maybe it's me... I don't see much here. It all seems to be subjective.

Zero tolerance remains. It's not catch and release like we used to do. It seems like - we will try to give families a higher priority. We will see how it plays out.
I agree with you but have no idea what they now plan to do with the families where the parents are being held on criminal charges. Zero tolerance and keeping families together are virtually impossible to do at the same time.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:19 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I agree with you but have no idea what they now plan to do with the families where the parents are being held on criminal charges. Zero tolerance and keeping families together are virtually impossible to do at the same time.
An easy solution would be to keep them together in one facility while they figure out whether they have a legal claim to asylum or not. Those who do, can be process as asylum seekers while those who do not can be deported together.

The problem is that 10,000 of the 12,000 children held were not accompanied by their parents at all. So the narrative that they are all being ripped from their parents and that they will never find their parents, etc, etc is a false one.

If the children are found to have legitimate claims to asylum, process them and find them foster homes.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:20 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,288,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
The ACLU will now sue to once again separate the families citing the Flores decision. Everyone will see that Trump had to separate them and the media will go right on pretending he didnt.
Then, why did he change it?

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:

Quote:
The executive order may present new legal challenges as it goes against an established legal ruling.
Obviously this is not over.

The goal of the left is to force release of these illegals into the US and nothing less.

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
Trump 101

Separate families

Sign EO to ‘keep families together

Basque in praise

Old 06-20-2018, 03:22 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
I've never said Obama was a genius, but Obama did his best to understand complex problems and try to solve them. Trump has neither the ability nor the will to tackle that requires more than about 60 seconds of his attention.
Which is why Trump needed a very good Chief of Staff and he has never had that because he does not trust anyone who is very good at that sort of work.

He does not trust people because he knows there's a lot he does not know and he refuses to admit that he does not know it.

It worked fine for him in the real estate development racket, but this global leader thing means he needs to either know more or pull a Reagan and trust someone capable.

He can do neither, so here we are.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:23 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
An easy solution would be to keep them together in one facility while they figure out whether they have a legal claim to asylum or not. Those who do, can be process as asylum seekers while those who do not can be deported together.

The problem is that 10,000 of the 12,000 children held were not accompanied by their parents at all. So the narrative that they are all being ripped from their parents and that they will never find their parents, etc, etc is a false one.

If the children are found to have legitimate claims to asylum, process them and find them foster homes.
I'm not sure that it's an easy solution at all but it's certainly a very expensive solution. Private contractors will be lobbying for this as they stand to make a killing.

I'm not sure about your numbers, but if minors who are unaccompanied are covered under the Flores settlement. And if 2,000 children were forcibly taken from their parents I would not call that a false narrative.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:24 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
trump used an EO to end his own idiotic policy.

An EO wasn't necessary. A simple phone call would've sufficed.

It's not going to court as it'd be a waste of time. The moron wrote an EO to correct his own imposed policy that isn't law or an EO.
It was, however, and photo op.

It was also his way of stopping Congress from stepping in and stopping him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies