Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 08:00 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
"If you don't like that, then don't smuggle children over our border," the attorney general said Monday at a law enforcement conference.

cue the shrieks of outrage.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/jus...arated-n872081

prove that they are your children, plus do not smuggle them over the border, they go with the family into lock up with no special privileges, right up until they are deported.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:10 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
prove that they are your children, plus do not smuggle them over the border, they go with the family into lock up with no special privileges, right up until they are deported.
It seems that DHS has taken "prove they are your children" to a whole new level

Quote:
Immigrant parents have reportedly been told they must pay for DNA tests in order to be reunited. Three mothers and an older sister were told by a government contractor that they must foot the bill for a DNA test, the director of immigrant shelter Annunciation House in El Paso, Texas, told The Daily Beast on Tuesday. One of the young children is just three-and-a-half years old. Immigration attorney Iliana Holguin, who works with the shelter, said some of her clients have been ordered to pay $700 to $800 to prove their relationship to the government. That is likely a sum far larger many asylum seekers have at their disposal...The use of a private, unidentified contractor that therefore cannot respond to these claims raises questions about the transparency of the current process.
Immigrant families told to pay for DNA tests to reunite with children - Business Insider

Old 07-11-2018, 08:18 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post

tough cookies, if they do not like it, then don't cross the border illegally.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:52 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,584,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
tough cookies, if they do not like it, then don't cross the border illegally.
A stunning but not wholly unexpected microcosmic example of everything that's wrong with society today. Reprehensible.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
What does this isolated case, if it's even true, have to do with this thread? The exception is not the rule. I don't understand how people are constantly trying to defend not upholding the laws, in particular when it involves foreigners invading our country.
"That it is better one hundred guilty persons should escape than one innocent person should suffer, is a maxim that has been long and generally approved."

- Benjamin Franklin.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:35 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,284,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
A stunning but not wholly unexpected microcosmic example of everything that's wrong with society today. Reprehensible.
Have you heard the BP agents explain that children get dragged through dangerous conditions, some are abused and assaulted, some are not even their children. The whole thing sucks and it could easily be avoided if they simply didn't try to cross illegally. People cheering and making excuses to come break the law are only perpetuating the issue.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:37 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
should have grabbed the birth certificates. One would think that would be an important document when "seeking asylum" in another country. I need one of those things when I take my kid to enroll in school, put him on my insurance, take his learners permit, get a physical, etc. etc. I had to show BC to prove his age when he entered a hoop shoot for Gods sake.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
"That it is better one hundred guilty persons should escape than one innocent person should suffer, is a maxim that has been long and generally approved."

- Benjamin Franklin.
That's a cool story, can we apply it to the millions of innocent gun owners?

Also don't see how it's an excuse to break the law, and allow people to enter the country without vetting and documentation. Every country in the world does this. This thread will go on for another 1000 pages because people don't understand this simple concept.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Have you heard the BP agents explain that children get dragged through dangerous conditions, some are abused and assaulted, some are not even their children. The whole thing sucks and it could easily be avoided if they simply didn't try to cross illegally. People cheering and making excuses to come break the law are only perpetuating the issue.
Quote:
That's a cool story, can we apply it to the millions of innocent gun owners?

Also don't see how it's an excuse to break the law, and allow people to enter the country without vetting and documentation. Every country in the world does this. This thread will go on for another 1000 pages because people don't understand this simple concept.
Who is "cheering and making excuses" for breaking the law? Not me.

Being opposed to illegal immigration and being opposed to unnecessarily separating toddlers and infants from their families while they await asylum hearings are not mutually exclusive propositions.

I don't see the parallel to gun owners here. You're comparing apples and oranges. People carrying guns in accordance with the law are not detained without due process simply because other gun owners fail to abide by the law.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Who is "cheering and making excuses" for breaking the law? Not me.

Being opposed to illegal immigration and being opposed to unnecessarily separating toddlers and infants from their families while they await asylum hearings are not mutually exclusive propositions.

I don't see the parallel to gun owners here. You're comparing apples and oranges. People carrying guns in accordance with the law are not detained without due process simply because other gun owners fail to abide by the law.
That's a great point if it were true. But its not since parents are arrested for crossing the border illegally and therefore separated since we don't throw kids in jail, not as you claim for wait for asylum hearings.

Can you at least acknowledge that people cross the border illegally or is everyone that doesn't go through the border entry an asylum seeker? Can you acknowledge that people that are arrested are separated from their families everywhere since forever?

We shouldn't punish millions of guns owners because of the actions of a tiny amount of people is my point but lets just forget that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies