Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 10:47 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,585,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
That's a great point if it were true. But its not since parents are arrested for crossing the border illegally and therefore separated since we don't throw kids in jail, not as you claim for wait for asylum hearings.

Can you at least acknowledge that people cross the border illegally or is everyone that doesn't go through the border entry an asylum seeker? Can you acknowledge that people that are arrested are separated from their families everywhere since forever?
You should read this comprehensive article, complete with links to the Court decisions themselves, to bring yourself up to speed on this. The Government has been holding all illegal border crossers, whether asylum seekers or not, in detention. But the Government is supposed to use prosecutorial discretion to determine whether an individual migrant (including illegal border crossers) is a security risk or is likely to skip out on a court date. Parents who pose a low risk are supposed to be released with their kids. Only parents who are deemed objectively risky should be forced to choose whether their kids are detained with them or released alone (or to HHS).

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
We shouldn't punish millions of guns owners because of the actions of a tiny amount of people is my point but lets just forget that.
Who is "punishing" millions of gun owners? To what "punishment" are the subjected?

Old 07-11-2018, 11:02 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It seems that DHS has taken "prove they are your children" to a whole new level
Ridiculous.

Particularly since it was DHS, etc. that took the documentation from the parents that would prove parentage thereby putting them in this situation.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:06 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times
What the hell is going on here?

https://twitter.com/MichaelAvenatti/...96779400130566

Old 07-11-2018, 02:52 PM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
"If you don't like that, then don't smuggle children over our border," the attorney general said Monday at a law enforcement conference.

cue the shrieks of outrage.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/jus...arated-n872081
At the risk of repeating myself these parents had to have crossed at some place other than a port of entry not once, but twice. They knew they were committing a felony. Taking children to a crime scene while committing a crime is child abuse. Bad things can happen at a crime scene.

Can I be clearer?

Old 07-11-2018, 03:44 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
"That it is better one hundred guilty persons should escape than one innocent person should suffer, is a maxim that has been long and generally approved."

- Benjamin Franklin.

Approved by whom? Maybe he just made it up? And it doesn't take into account all the additional crimes and additional suffering caused by the guilty who escape.

Old 07-11-2018, 03:51 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
At the risk of repeating myself these parents had to have crossed at some place other than a port of entry not once, but twice. They knew they were committing a felony. Taking children to a crime scene while committing a crime is child abuse. Bad things can happen at a crime scene.

Can I be clearer?
You first of all have no evidence that parent crossed twice.

They are not committing a felony. It's a misdemeanor. Terminology counts. Quit exaggerating.

For the first improper entry offense, the person can be fined (as a criminal or civil penalty), or imprisoned for up to six months, or both. This is considered a misdemeanor under federal law (18 U.S.C.A. § 3559).

For a subsequent offense, or a reentry (or attempted reentry) after exclusion or deportation, the person can be fined or imprisoned for up to two years, or both. (See 8 U.S.C. Section 1325, 1326, I.N.A. Section 275, 276.) This is considered a low-level felony under federal law (18 U.S.C.A. § 3559).

Old 07-11-2018, 08:13 PM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
You first of all have no evidence that parent crossed twice.

They are not committing a felony. It's a misdemeanor. Terminology counts. Quit exaggerating.

For the first improper entry offense, the person can be fined (as a criminal or civil penalty), or imprisoned for up to six months, or both. This is considered a misdemeanor under federal law (18 U.S.C.A. § 3559).

For a subsequent offense, or a reentry (or attempted reentry) after exclusion or deportation, the person can be fined or imprisoned for up to two years, or both. (See 8 U.S.C. Section 1325, 1326, I.N.A. Section 275, 276.) This is considered a low-level felony under federal law (18 U.S.C.A. § 3559).
So you agree. The second crossing is a felony. Involving your children in a felony is child abuse.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
should have grabbed the birth certificates. One would think that would be an important document when "seeking asylum" in another country. I need one of those things when I take my kid to enroll in school, put him on my insurance, take his learners permit, get a physical, etc. etc. I had to show BC to prove his age when he entered a hoop shoot for Gods sake.
As per court transcripts, whatever documentation they had was taken from them when the children were taken.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:42 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
As per court transcripts, whatever documentation they had was taken from them when the children were taken.
When you leave your country, do you really think those people had any documentation...if they are coming from 3rd world countries, I mean, a lot of those people were born in poverty, in the desserts, and in a one room shack...do you honestly think they have any documentation, not to mention, on their persons? My son who worked in Afghanistan, told me a lot of those people didn't even know how old they are, what year they were born...the names of their fathers...as rape is common practice in some of those countries.

See we have no idea. we expect people to grow up as we have, but they don't...a lot of them grow up in a criminal environment...that's all they know, relate to and practice...

Old 07-12-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
When you leave your country, do you really think those people had any documentation...if they are coming from 3rd world countries, I mean, a lot of those people were born in poverty, in the desserts, and in a one room shack...do you honestly think they have any documentation, not to mention, on their persons? My son who worked in Afghanistan, told me a lot of those people didn't even know how old they are, what year they were born...the names of their fathers...as rape is common practice in some of those countries.

See we have no idea. we expect people to grow up as we have, but they don't...a lot of them grow up in a criminal environment...that's all they know, relate to and practice...
"“When these families come in, Customs and Border Protection takes away the documents from parents and puts them in their file,” Garcia said. “In the cases where they’ve been separated from their children, ORR then says, ‘You’re going to need to provide the documents that CBP took.’”"

https://www.thedailybeast.com/govern...-kids-advocate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies