Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 12:11 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,978,664 times

Advertisements

What should we do with the children that are smuggled over illegally by their parents?

1. Send them all back as a family and hope they stay put? or decide to come via legal channels?
2. Jail the kids with their parents?
3. Put the family up in a Ritz Carlton using tax payer funds to ensure their happiness?

Old 05-08-2018, 12:17 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
More Mexicans are leaving the US than coming in. And have been for years.

Really, and it doesn't matter if they are Mexicans or Central Americans either.

https://www.numbersusa.com/news/ille...over-last-year

Old 05-08-2018, 12:19 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Compassionate conservatism.

Charity begins at home. We can't take care of the whole world's poor and needy while trying to care for our own.

Last edited by Oldglory; 05-08-2018 at 12:41 PM..

Old 05-08-2018, 12:22 PM

36,522 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Fox news report:

More Mexicans leaving US than entering, study says | Fox News

Actual report:

More Mexicans Leaving Than Coming to the U.S. | Pew Research Center

Just because you don't believe it, doesn't mean it's not true. Alternative facts are valid only to the Trump Whitehouse.
Estimates from household surveys from Mexico and the US census bureau.
We have no idea how many illegals come and how many go, and stay gone. If we could keep track of them we would be keeping track of them, no? The only real estimate of how many enter the country is through those who are caught and detained.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:27 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Even in the toughest Mexican prisons, women are allowed to have their children stay with them at the jail if there is no one else to care for them.
your suggestion that we send them to mexico where they can stay with mom is most excellent.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:48 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Oh, I wasn't aware that when another country jails someone for breaking their immigration laws or "entry bans" from overstaying, that they allow the children into the prison with their parent. Which countries are those, please?
The vast majority of them. Fun fact, there are several international treaties and agreements that discuss that the family unit shouldn't be seperated. Some examples? Article 11 section 2 of the American convention (we are not a signatory)
Some educational reading on this topic:
https://scholarship.law.berkeley.edu...9&context=bjil

Not that I expect you to actually read it.

Foriegn countries do not do this generally. Why would they? Its a punishment that is unnecessary, and unwarrented. It punishes both the parents.....and children. Let me repeat that for some of you-you are punishing children for their parents actions. What sort of monsters are you?

Lets focus on moving them through the system and sending the ones back we should. But lets not try and punish kids for their parents actions.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:54 PM

50,274 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
More Mexicans are leaving the US than coming in. And have been for years.
This is true, at one point it was over a million in one year. But, even a fraction of that is still a giant problem.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
The vast majority of the world does not have 50,000 people a month flooding into their country illegally or seeking asylum using their children to take advantage of the country.
Ahhh ignorance. Let me help you. You are correct they don't have 50,000 a month. They have MORE. in 2015 for example the EU faced TWICE that on average. And FAR more of them were entire families. 1.2 million people applied for asylum in the EU in 2016.

Do you folks even try and comprehend the issue before making such claims?

Quote:
It has become a problem so something has to be done. If you don't want to be separated don't come here illegally, don't try to lie your way in thru asylum and don't use your kids to garner sympathy so you can bypass the legal system.
This country separates families of its citizens everyday.
And we CAN do things. We can hire more judges, we can put folks in family detention centers just as we have done in the past, and we can make illegal immigration harder by enforcing mandatory e-verify, and passing laws about renting to illegals. Those are effective things.

But what we should not do is separate families. It costs more, and it punishes children and traumatizes them. These are the actions of a country that doesn't represent American values. Its immoral and will cost us more money. People should be ashamed of their desire to traumatize children.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:04 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Ahhh ignorance. Let me help you. You are correct they don't have 50,000 a month. They have MORE. in 2015 for example the EU faced TWICE that on average. And FAR more of them were entire families. 1.2 million people applied for asylum in the EU in 2016.

Do you folks even try and comprehend the issue before making such claims?

And we CAN do things. We can hire more judges, we can put folks in family detention centers just as we have done in the past, and we can make illegal immigration harder by enforcing mandatory e-verify, and passing laws about renting to illegals. Those are effective things.

But what we should not do is separate families. It costs more, and it punishes children and traumatizes them. These are the actions of a country that doesn't represent American values. Its immoral and will cost us more money. People should be ashamed of their desire to traumatize children.

Based on what's going on in Europe as a result of the above - why would ANYONE be in favor of this?

Get our own people off the streets and housed and fed. Get our own people who are unemployable trained with some kind of skill and get them jobs.

Helping the world while our own city streets turn into toilets, is insane and downright cruel.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Based on what's going on in Europe as a result of the above - why would ANYONE be in favor of this?

Get our own people off the streets and housed and fed. Get our own people who are unemployable trained with some kind of skill and get them jobs.

Helping the world while our own city streets turn into toilets, is insane and downright cruel.
I don't think you get it. I'm against illegal immigration. I'm all for doing things about it.

But im even more against traumatizing children for their parents actions when there is no reasonable justification. And punishing parents by punishing children does not seem reasonable to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies