Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 08:54 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
I guess you want Obama to go to hell, because Hadas Gold of CNN just clarified in a tweet that she deleted that photo because it's from 2014.
Obama did not lose 1475 kids did he?

Old 05-27-2018, 10:07 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Actually yes. But you are conflating two separate issues. The 1475 figure comes from an influx of unaccompanied minors that came over the border during the Obama years. The government tried to locate relatives for them to live with in the US. If they were not able to find a relative or a family with a prior relationship to the children, the children were continued to be held at detention facilities.
About 7,000 children were placed through this program. Last year, the government went back to check up on these placements. They did it only by calling the families. They didn't knock on doors, check school records, etc. Many of these kids were placed with relatives who were here illegally. It is not surprising that they would not want to answer a call from the US government. So most of these kids are not actuall "missing." The government just didn't make contact with them during the period they did their follow up phone calls. Some are sadly likely in danger. It was discovered that some children were placed in unsafe situations during this time. See the story below about the Obama admin placing some of the children with human traffickers.

This is part of what prompted the follow up calls:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.9f08f1dc9ba9

This is a separate issue than the new policy of seperating kids from their parents at the border. I completely disagree with the seperation policy.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:15 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
Quote:
Maybe the kids who are lost are the lucky ones, look how the other ones who were separated from their parents are living. There's a special place in hell who treat children like this:

https://www.azcentral.com/picture-ga...lity/10808687/
A special place in hell for Obama and his administration? This story is from 2014.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:17 PM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
It doesn't matter what you feel, what matters is what the law is. The US is required to process refugee claimants according to the agreements it has agreed to, AND confirmed by 2/3 of the Senate.

Those agreements require families to be kept together, and I already showed you the links to that.

Why do you support the US acting illegally?

Scroll back to posts #544 and #673

Pay attention to the links in both posts.

Did it ever occur to you that perhaps there isn't enough space to keep families together? What are they supposed to do? Set them free so that they can be no shows when it comes to their court hearings? Put them all in tents in the middle of the desert?

Why do you even care? You live in Canada. Worry about your own country.

I don't go into threads about Canada and tell Canadians how to live and act. I would never be so presumptuous as to act like I know what it is like to live there.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:25 PM

1,196 posts, read 839,009 times
Quote:
Maybe the kids who are lost are the lucky ones, look how the other ones who were separated from their parents are living. There's a special place in hell who treat children like this:

https://www.azcentral.com/picture-ga...lity/10808687/
You really want obama to go to hell? MAGA
Those pics are from June 18, 2014 and rather than paint the Trump administration poorly, it shows the conditions unaccompanied minors were held in during the Obama administration:
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2018/...ry-of-twitter/

Old 05-27-2018, 10:33 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times
Quote:
Get a grip? Would you want your children living in what looks like dog kennels, or sleeping with aluminum foil blankets on them? I expect them to be treated decently, I don't think that's asking too much.

As far as I know these children were not unaccompanied, they came here with their parents who were applying for refugee status.
I just explained to you that it's a giant room NOT a dog kennel; the angle of the picture is misleading. As I said these aren't ideal conditions but nobody expected this huge surge. Do you think they had nice double beds with Laura Ashley sheets and just CHOSE to put them on floor pads for kicks? If you read the caption on these photos it says 47,000 unaccompanied minors arrived since October. They weren't prepared for that.

The blankets aren't just aluminum foil; they were developed by NASA for space use but have been used in emergency situations such as natural disasters and to keep refugees warm all over the world. They may look flimsy but the technology is advanced. See here photos of marathoners wearing them in the rain as well as American WW2 veterans. They even save people in below-zero temperatures.
https://www.cnn.com/2016/08/30/healt...ets/index.html

Old 05-27-2018, 10:38 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times
Quote:
Your outrage was at a photo of what happened during Obama's tenure and that's what I replied to. Now you're jumping onto another topic? This thread is about parents being separated from kids, and most people's posts were before the lost children story even broke.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:52 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,376,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
This is effectively being done to punish people without the rule of law. IE pre-emptively.

We have people who have had their children taken from them while they are seeking asylum who WILL end up being US citizens....but who we punished without proper judicial review.

We have throughout decades said that family unity was important. To toss it away is a decision based on hatred and fear, not logic. Deport those we need to deport, but separating families is cruel and stupid.
The American right is truly frightening.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:55 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,376,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
But no sympathy for American children who get separated from their parents because they go to jail, get deployed by the military, travel for work, or go back to school?

I have no sympathy for those who decide to break immigration laws by illegally entering the country, and then get separated because one of their relatives get deported.
Those are not analogous situations, and you know it.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:32 PM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Those are not analogous situations, and you know it.
They certainly are analogous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies