Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 01:14 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,266,927 times

Advertisements

Perhaps we should consider just closing all Mexico-USA points of Entry -- i.e. Close the Border

Until a reasonable way of securing the US-Mexico Border is acceptable.
What we have now is both Un-acceptable and Dangerous.

It's probably going to take something that drastic to being people (and politicians) to their senses.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:16 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Perhaps we should consider just closing all Mexico-USA points of Entry -- i.e. Close the Border

Until a reasonable way of securing the US-Mexico Border is acceptable.
What we have now is both Un-acceptable and Dangerous.

It's probably going to take something that drastic to being people (and politicians) to their senses.
We need to tighten them dramatically, deport those illegally entering far more rapidly, and bar them from applying legally for ten years as a deterrent.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:22 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
"If you are smuggling a child then we will prosecute you, and that child will be separated from you as required by law," Attorney General Jeff Sessions said Monday at a law enforcement conference in Scottsdale, Arizona. "If you don't like that, then don't smuggle children over our border."
If a married couple who are life-long US citizens commit crimes, then they are going to be separated from their children.

If we're talking about deportation, then respect the rights of the parents to opt for taking their kids with them. If we're talking about the parents going to prison for entering the United States illegally, then it's basically the same as the first thing I said.

It really is unfortunate how committing crimes destroys families. My recommendation is to stop committing crimes. Every child deserves a mother and a father. You're a pretty awful parent if you're willing to jeopardize that.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post

It really is unfortunate how committing crimes destroys families. My recommendation is to stop committing crimes. Every child deserves a mother and a father. You're a pretty awful parent if you're willing to jeopardize that.

Great points.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:24 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Family detention centers work.

These aren't murderers that have to be kept in solitary confinement.

These are desperate people trying to escape often horrible situations, gang violence, corrupt government military forces, ... Staying behind is often no assurance you won't lose your child to violence.

The pedestal of the Statue of Liberty doesn't read, “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, and we'll snatch their children and treat you like a criminal."

What we are doing is immoral.

I don't care how much you hate Mexicans or immigrants or "illegals," this is immoral and dishonorable.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:29 PM

We do not know their full criminal histories, but must simply punish them, as the laws allow, for the crime they committed-entering our great nation illegally. While obtaining criminal histories on them, just as we do with citizens who break laws.

Let the chips fall where they may, after that.

PS: Know your history. The Statue came w/o the unrelated plaque. It was appended to it decades later. The Statue was a gift sent w/o commentary as to its meaning. It was not even raised for several years, as it came boxed, in many pieces.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:36 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,233,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Military deployments and Americans going to prison don't have the added sticky wicket of child trafficking. Why do people keep ignoring that problem at the border? We don't know who these people are or that the children with them are even related to them.
So you believe that those crying babies and toddlers are being taken from the arms of a woman who is not their mother? You doubt the bond between mother and child? If a DNA test was offered then you would allow them to stay Together?
Clearly something wrong if this is the excuse.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:39 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
We do not know their full criminal histories, but must simply punish them, as the laws allow, for the crime they committed-entering our great nation illegally.

Let the chips fall where they may, after that.

PS: Know your history. The Statue came w/o the unrelated plaque. It was appended to it decades later. The Statue was a gift sent w/o commentary as to its meaning. It was not even raised for several years, as it came boxed, in many pieces.

For over a hundred years, our Statue of Liberty has represented friendship between nations, and been a symbol of liberty and freedom from oppression.

American poet Emma Lazarus wrote the poem in 1883 to raise money for the construction of a pedestal. It is very much a part of the history of what the Statue of Liberty represents.

This is vile business you are supporting, and no amount of smug tap dancing around changes that.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:41 PM

Wrong. Lazarus wrote the poem, but it remained apart from the Statue for 17 years.

Poem written 1883.

Statue raised 1886.

Poem affixed 1903.

Ellis Island, btw also had use as a WWII prison, and in early 20th century as immigration entrance-deported right back to Europe a large % of those who attempted to come to America permanently. To stay one needed to show an ability to earn a living, or have US sponsors who assumed responsibility for them. Since in immigration's heyday, we were not a Welfare State It was sink or swim, either individually or with family/friends help.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:45 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Bringing your child somewhere you know that they will take your child away? In what morality is that right?

What are you suggesting we do with these people? Family prison? I wouldn’t have a problem with that. The only thing I would have a problem with is setting them free in this country to add to the already massive illegal immigrant population. Then you are just inviting more people to bring young kids if they know that a kid is a get out of jail free card.
You're such a humanitarian, I'm so impressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies