Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 01:15 AM

23,640 posts, read 12,561,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
As for determining relationships, DNA tests are quick and easy these days. They should be standard if there is a question about a child's parentage or identity at the border.
Another cost that we will be paying for, but, that particular cost is fine with me. If we can stop just one trafficker than it would be worth every penny. It's the $100+ billion yearly cost to support illegals, among other things that create hardships for citizens, is what I don't like.

Quote:
People were turned back from Elliis Island if they had communicable diseases or criminal records. They were also refused if they had disabilities. Are you suggesting that we should still adhere to the immigration practices of over 100 years ago? Haven't we learned a few things?

As for my early American and colonial ancestors, sure, the country was more lightly inhabited back then. But my French Huguenot ancestors who fled France for a series of other countries to escape severe religious persecution, ultimately winding up in Colonial Virginia (at ManakinTown) were penniless, didn't speak the language, had large families with small kids, were Calvinists, not Anglicans, and arrived in December, 1700, too late to plant crops. They were hardly ideal new American colonists.

Thankfully, the earlier arrivals from Williamsburg (who were mostly of English background) lent helping hands - each well-off family from Bruton Parish Church "adopted" a Huguenot family, and contributed to their well-being for the first few years until they could get on their feet and become self-supporting, rather than tossing them all into debtor's prison or turning them into indentured servants.

Those early Virginians were far more compassionate than many posters here seem to be, when it comes to helping newcomers who have made long, difficult and dangerous journeys, who don't speak English, have cultural differences, and who don't worship as do the majority...

In fact, those Bruton Parishioners embodied the Hands of Christ in the World. They fed the hungry, clothed the naked, and helped widows and orphans and the poor. I think they would be shocked and dismayed at what's going on with today's refugees and asylum seekers, and I think they would condemn it and those who advocate such cruelties in the name of patriotism.
I was suggesting nothing. You are the one who chose to use the wayback machine, I was simply responding to you, saying that there were many who came here and were sent back, not just because they didn't pass the standards, but also because once the 'number of immigrant from a country' limit had been reached then those immigrants from that country were sent back, even if they would have been an asset to this country.

Perhaps you were the one that was doing the suggesting, that you would want anyone and everyone to just be able to walk in and automatically become a citizen, much like they had in colonial times...which is why you brought that up to begin with.

Old 05-27-2018, 03:53 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,675,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
"If you don't like that, then don't smuggle children over our border," the attorney general said Monday at a law enforcement conference.

cue the shrieks of outrage.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/jus...arated-n872081
LOL, the moron in charge is now blaming Dems for his policy and is condemning it!!

Old 05-27-2018, 04:56 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Not only blaming Democrats but lying about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4hOG2SyesQ

You're entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

Old 05-27-2018, 05:46 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,743,026 times
Anytime we take children who are already traumatized away from their parents its cruel and tragic. What the hell is wrong with people who have no empathy for babies and little kids. Shame on you!
I don't have the answers but, I sure don't get those who are happy about this. We are a flawed species and some of haven't learned a thing from history. My heart just breaks for them.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:33 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The cruelty and hatred is almost beyond belief.

The angels weep.
Agreed.

I'm physically ill after reading the total lack of humanity on display in this thread.

A teargas attack propels a woman to flee with her child and the response here is {shrug} "not my problem."

Old 05-27-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
Sorry, but your snark doesn't change the facts that these folks know what will happen and they are willing to use the kid as a bargaining chip. Shame on them and shame on you for approving the use of children this way.
Using their child as a bargaining chip?

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

No, they are trying to save the lives of their children.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Blame the parents, not those enforcing our nation’s laws. (I’m addressing illegals here)
What kind of parent would sneak their children into someone else’s country illegally, and expose their children to all the dangers and predators involved with illegal crossings. If they have children here that become citizens, well thats their
decision, and they knew the risks but did it anyway.

Want a better life for their children —well then do the respectable thing and work to change the problems in your own country
The kind of parent who is desperate.

Why is it so difficult for people to imagine a life different from their own? A life devoid of logical, sound choices where the risk of presenting oneself and his/her children for asylum to another nation is preferable for staying put and waiting 5-10 years to maybe be allowed to immigrate?

Old 05-27-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
How can anyone believe they are seeking asylum after traveling across how many countries to get here? They are attempting to manipulate the system and take advantage of our good will. Perhaps if they really loved their children they wouldn't have endangered them by traveling the extra distance just to get here. Could it be that they didn't seek asylum in those other countries because they don't offer all the perks that we do?
What perks do we offer that other countries don't?

Go ahead. I'll wait.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
The point is not all crimes are equal.

An undocumented border crosser who brought her kid to make a better life for themselves isn't the same as a murderer? If you think so then you might as well through all common sense out the window.
The inability to think critically and assess the severity of transgressions, lumping them all together as if they are equal, is the hallmark of anti-intellectualism. This mindset is killing our country.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:58 AM

18,470 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
The point is not all crimes are equal.

An undocumented border crosser who brought her kid to make a better life for themselves isn't the same as a murderer? If you think so then you might as well through all common sense out the window.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
The inability to think critically and assess the severity of transgressions, lumping them all together as if they are equal, is the hallmark of anti-intellectualism. This mindset is killing our country.
This is not what the poster is saying. If you guys think that, maybe you have your own common sense issues.

No, not all crimes are equal. That is why we have different punishments for different crimes. But ALL crimes are to be prosecuted. That is the only way our laws can work.

When he starts saying that we should have the same punishment for illegal aliens that we do for murderers, then we can talk about his common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies