Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 12:58 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times

Advertisements

It's been upheld in the courts, that the police are free to lie to suspects. Anything that might trick them into revealing culpability, is allowed. Often, police will tell people that they are required to carry I. D., even though they're not.

It's not certain if the police themselves, even know what the law is about this, as many of them have pulled the "required I. D." routine on me. They will do anything that they can get away with doing, even rewriting the laws on the spot. They're always looking for ways to increase their power. Once they set a local precedent for bogus enforcement, they won't stop, unless ordered by the courts. Sometimes, not even then. Look at the example Joe Arpaio set, for defying the courts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 01:05 AM

24,626 posts, read 9,449,501 times
If you walk around not carrying ID to begin with, you're not very bright.

If you think trying to challenge a cop on film will score you some political points, and not an arrest, think again.

Maybe some of your white folks have time to kill but not me. I'm complying 100%, like I always do with cops, and I'll be on my way home back for dinner. Enjoy trying to make your political statement in jail.

Maybe you can provoke the cop into some police brutality while you're at it, for some sweet settlement money.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:33 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
This makes me crazy. I'm a 52 year old white woman and I have never been asked for my ID, which I don't carry when on my speed walks. I've never even THOUGHT of carrying my ID when walking, jogging, taking my dog for a walk.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:47 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Do all teenagers have a Driver's License? If they don't, what ID would they have?
A Social Security card (I know...not a picture ID).

IIRC, Kids are issued Social Security cards at birth.

I'm younger then you, but I'm old enough that the year I graduated from high school was in the 70s. When I was born, kids weren't automatically issued Social Security numbers at birth, but I had one at birth...or close to it..as my grandfather bought stock for me in my name not long after I was born.

The 'enumeration at birth' practice re Social Security numbers started in 1987.

Old 05-08-2018, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
A Social Security card (I know...not a picture ID).

IIRC, Kids are issued Social Security cards at birth.

I'm younger then you, but I'm old enough that the year I graduated from high school was in the 70s. When I was born, kids weren't automatically issued Social Security numbers at birth, but I had one at birth...or close to it..as my grandfather bought stock for me in my name not long after I was born.

The 'enumeration at birth' practice re Social Security numbers started in 1987.
Social Security I never carry on me. I've taught my kid the same. Like you said it's not a picture ID. Aside from that you do not want that card/number being taken.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I would think that if you don't have to show an ID to vote then you don't need to have an ID period, because otherwise how would you get from your home to your polling place without getting arrested?
Have to have ID to vote in Texas. I don't even bother bringing my voting card anymore because it's useless. In fact I didn't even receive my last one (a card) when I moved last summer and changed my address. I just show my drivers license.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You are required to show I.D. (your voter registration card). Some places do not enforce it, like where I live because they all know me but I still have to sign in where my signature is checked with the signature on file (sort of as they know me). But just because it's not enforced doesn't make it not a requirement .

In some places if you don't have it they will allow you to vote a provisional ballot which generally are not counted unless needed to decide a close election but registration is cross checked.

I'm not sure where the idea that you don't comes from. (Yeah I do)
You don't have to show your voter registration card anymore. Since Texas has ruled you have to have a picture ID the voter registration card has become useless. I didn't even receive mine during the last preliminaries. Showed my drivers license and my name was on the list. The provisional ballot is when one doesn't have a picture ID or their voting situation is in question.

Old 05-08-2018, 05:15 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
You can be detained until your identification has been confirmed.
No you cannot. Quit spreading false informatioon.

Quote:
How far you want to take that is entirely up to the individuals involved.
And? So?

Old 05-08-2018, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I’ve never heard of it, but this cop in the linked video invokes such a law when stopping this teen who is jogging.

He says that the kid fits the description of a robber, but then calls in to get a description from dispatch AFTER detaining the kid.

Back to the ID issue...this happened in Texas. My home state has no such law. Is there an ID law in your state?

They lie all the time. Check out what these scumbags did in Arizona

Old 05-08-2018, 05:33 AM

Quote:
The point is if the robber gives a fake name it won't match their data base and they'll know to look further.
No they won't. If I give my neighbors name who looks somewhat similar and is the roughly the same age no one can legitimately tell from that info exactly who I am.

Quote:
Certainly can't be that difficult to figure out. IT isn't like they are just going to take your word for it, they are going to check the name and DOB vs records. That includes records with pictures. When it doesn't match anything or shows the wrong person they'll start the process over again to figure out who you are except this time they'll know you're lying and have something to hide.
You do not have to give DOB. Just your name.

If there is no reasonable suspicion that a crime has been committed, is being committed, or is about to be committed, an individual is not required to provide identification, even in "Stop and ID" states. In the case of Utah v. Strieff (2016),

The question whether it is constitutionally permissible for the police to demand that a detainee provide his or her name was considered by the U.S. Supreme Court in Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada, 542 U.S. 177 (2004), which held that the name disclosure did not violate the Fourth Amendment prohibition on unreasonable searches and seizures.

The Hiibel Court also held that, because Hiibel had no reasonable belief that his name would be used to incriminate him, the name disclosure did not violate the Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination; however, the Court left open the possibility that Fifth Amendment right might apply in situations where there was a reasonable belief that giving a name could be incriminating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies