Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2018, 10:12 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
I hope this business model was inspired following their near demise from The Valdez disaster.
The Valdez is an unfortunate accident. Generally speaking Exxon as a company has always been an extremely well run company. They make a lot of money because they sell a huge amount of product that people need. When China needed to be build new refinery a few years back they parented with Exxon to do it because the fact is they are the very best at what they do, their profits reflect that.

Little bit of off topic trivia, the Valdez disaster played a key role in financial meltdown. No really....

After the disaster Exxon was seeking a line of credit for 5 billion dollars from J.P.Morgan. Banking regulations would have required J.P.Morgan to set aside X amount of assets to cover the loan and they didn't want to tie up that amount funds. This is where the credit default swap was born. Great idea, the chances of Exxon defaulting are about none. Exxon gets their loan, the bank is not tying up a lot of assets they can loan to others and the investors make some money. Not such great idea when used on mortgages with a very high rate of defaults.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:31 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
If it's good for them I guess it's good for us....

https://www.eia.gov/beta/internation...iew=production

Old 05-09-2018, 10:55 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
With the US pulling out of the deal, it opens the door for the Iranians to say the deal is null and void and resume their nuclear weapons program.

Now, they can expel inspectors which puts us right back to square one were we were 3 years ago, with the Iranians on the cusp of a being able to build a nuclear weapon.

Iran was not breaking the rules, and by all accounts, is playing by the rules. They, in theory, could have waited the 10 years, ramped up their nuclear program and start working towards a bomb. Now, they could start tomorrow.

What were his legitimate concerns regarding the deal, besides that Obama did it?

Why not negotiate a new one, instead of pulling out of it completely, losing face and reneging on our commitment to the deal?

Best deal maker.

Where/what is plan B?

We bomb them back into the Stone Age unless they comply.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:24 AM

57,260 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
We bomb them back into the Stone Age unless they comply.
Yes that strategy worked to perfection in Iraq.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:24 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
So it’s scrapped. Excellent.
Now Iran can build nukes to its hearts content, odd logic

Old 05-09-2018, 12:28 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,614,780 times
What I am finding funny here is how some of you Conservative/Trumpers are advocating for war if Iran doesn't comply while calling the Democrats/Liberals war mongers in some form or another in other past threads. The hypocrites have come out to play.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:36 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
What I am finding funny here is how some of you Conservative/Trumpers are advocating for war if Iran doesn't comply while calling the Democrats/Liberals war mongers in some form or another in other past threads. The hypocrites have come out to play.
There are two types of Trump supporters: Pacifist libertarians, and peace-through-strength advocates.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:55 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
Airbus and Chinese aircraft makers - as well as Russian companies of ALL types, will probably make today a holiday for all time.

Boeing just lost 10's of billion in orders. Oil is rising in price for all Americans. Iran, and then plenty of others, will probably get nukes...if not nukes, Russian and Chinese protections.

Trumpism is causing the rest of the world to stick together - against US. China and Russia and eventually N. Korea and Iran and Syria and a number of other countries are challenging the US and, in many cases, they have already won.

For example, China now maintains "air parity" with the USA over their country, the local seas and some other areas. That basically means they can shoot down anything we send over there....cheaply (missile cost much less than aircraft). Russia is partnering with them big time - same with Pakistan.

Now - I'm not claiming they have no right to bond together in mutual self-defense and arms trading - but we should understand that this is largely due to bluster from the USA and our Great Leader putting down NATO, throwing Iran into the Soviet Sphere, etc.

The world is going to look very different in 10 years.

Frankly, I am more worried about the Boeings and the other companies that sell peaceful stuff. I can see Asia locking us out of much of their trade...since we have proven to not be a reliable partner.

Flip flopping on this stuff just does not work. When a country invests in Boeing, they want to have a decades long (or even longer - more or less forever) relationship.

As I said, Airbus is very happy and the Chinese new passenger jet will also be selling well.

We have made it clear that we are unreliable and off-the-cuff and don't keep promises or treaties. This may excite some rabid Americans in the short terms, but it won't be good for many American workers and companies.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:58 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
War? Neo-cons......

Iran is a country with demographics that show a very young population. They have been itching to be more "western" and "free" in both their daily lives and among nations.

Now we are telling them the bombs are coming and they can't buy Boeing airliners?

Have we gone crazy? (answer=YES). I suppose the folks in WV and KY don't care about whether Boeing stuff is bought by Iran - but Boeing has a BIG plant in SC. They are HQ in Chicago and have vast facilities in the Pacific NW as well as all over the world.

It's going to take a LONG time to fix all this damage. Luckily I don't own Boeing stock (perhaps a small amount through mutual funds, but nothing serious).

Old 05-09-2018, 01:06 PM

2,690 posts, read 4,219,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
This person Trump has never made a good deal in his life. Moving other peoples money e around , cash no less, throwing destitute minorities out of their homes is not being a savvy deal maker.

The man is an example of absolute failure in deal making and admits as such every time he opens his mouth he projects...."IT is the worst deal ever made" ...he is talking about the deal he made with Russia. He is soooooo compromised . This is what is meant by the danger of him being compromised by a foreign enemy country. His focus is always on staying one step ahead of JUSTICE. He can't govern. It is HIS FAULT, not Mueller s or Stormy s or hottie Avenottie. ..
Yes, JCPOA is the "worst deal ever made", according to Don the Con, who made a deal to pay Stormy Daniels $130,000 not to talk about something that never happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies