Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 01:31 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,445,938 times

Advertisements

Eight years of the wannabe neo-Marxist President Barack H. Obama. Sixteen months later and his "legacy" has been reduced to almost nothing.

Except he did oversee the Democrat party being politically knocked to its proverbial hands and knees, and to the election of Donald Trump as his successor as president, in what has turned into probably the most profound and thorough public repudiation of a former president and his agenda that our nation has ever seen. There is that.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:35 PM

25,915 posts, read 24,573,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Eight years of the wannabe neo-Marxist President Barack H. Obama. Sixteen months later and his "legacy" has been reduced to almost nothing.

Except he did oversee the Democrat party being politically knocked to its proverbial hands and knees, and to the election of Donald Trump as his successor as president, in what has turned into probably the most profound and thorough public repudiation of a former president and his agenda that our nation has ever seen. There is that.
And if he doesn't get reelected, the next president might as well undo Trump's decisions...
Neo-Marxist? You really shouldn't throw around words whose meaning you don't even seem to know.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:45 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,086,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post

Obama was a lot of things, but he wasn't a Marxist. He was a corporatist, like Trump.

Other than Gorsuch and the tax cuts, nothing has changed, really.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:00 PM

20,956 posts, read 8,573,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Interesting. I thought I vaguely remembered you being in favor of higher gas prices so I did a search, which I rarely do. About two years ago you said:

"What you say is "good" (cheap gas) is actually bad for the same people you seem to cheer. US Drillers cannot make money at $40 a barrel which is why so many oil drilling rigs are offline right now and why oil company stocks are doing horribly.

So you are celebrating the loss of jobs and industry...because your gas is 50 cents or a dollar cheaper? Typical."

So if oil is up, why aren't you applauding? Seems like the leftards are always clamoring for higher gas prices to incentivize reduced consumption and improved efficiency but yet villify Trump for doing something that may result in higher gas prices.
Oh, it does not affect me in the least. I am for shutting down coal plants, high oil prices, telling the Saudis to go pound sand and a massive effort (already underway) to build up our Alt Energy generation. I am against nukes too - and somewhat against fracking (at least to the level we are now doing it).

Based on your assumptions, politics means nothing except what is selfish for ME. I know that's the Trump Way, but my comment on Oil Prices is more in empathy (yeah, I know, a bad trait) with the everyday joes and janes whose paycheck is simply not going to go as far. As you well know, those paychecks haven't been going up. We also haven't been investing in high speed rail and other things so that high oil prices don't hurt as much.

So my quotes from before largely stand. Full disclosure - I have energy investments also. If Oil hits $100 a bbl I'll be happy. But I don't think the general run of Americans will be.

See the difference? It's about understanding "the other guy". I can work from home (have been on the internet making a living for 20+ years). I don't have a large SUV or pickup truck. I don't heat any of my homes with oil. The only slight effect that high oil prices will have on me is airfares...but I only fly for recreation anyway (leisure, snowbird, etc.). That will be more than offset by gains in my MLP and Energy mutual funds.

I think we have moved the needle enough with alt energy that higher oil prices will not hurt US Industry much - and, as you note, it will help some jobs in the oil biz.

So, I'm with you....as long as you understand the world is a complex place. The guy in WV who drives his pickup one hour to a low wage job (just listened to a good podcast about that, BTW - miners are making less than they did 20 years back and others are making min. wage....$8 an hour, if they are lucky enough to get that).

Those folks - who could use as much as 40 gallons plus per week, are going to hurt at the higher prices. If prices stay high - people will hurt even more because Trump saw fit to roll back MPG requirements.

My point stands. Any small gains most think they made from more debt and deficit will be swallowed up by other poor policies. I mean - don't you think do also? Given the low Unemployment rate for the last 4-5 years you'd think wages and benefits would be increasing fast. Yet they are not - and many people find themselves making less in wages and benefits than they did 20 or 30 years ago (adjusted for CPI, of course).

This is NOT going to MAGA. The average person needs benefits, pensions, health care, savings, etc. in order to survive.

The same podcast (about coal country in S. Va and WV) talked to a school administrator who said they sent the kids home on Fri with meals for Sat and Sun. If they didn't, the kids would starve. This is in your country.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:18 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,050,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Based on your assumptions, politics means nothing except what is selfish for ME. I know that's the Trump Way, but my comment on Oil Prices is more in empathy (yeah, I know, a bad trait) with the everyday joes and janes whose paycheck is simply not going to go as far. As you well know, those paychecks haven't been going up. We also haven't been investing in high speed rail and other things so that high oil prices don't hurt as much.
Democrats would have us paying higher taxes AND higher gas prices. Just think the effect higher gas prices would have on the joes and janes without the tax cuts.

And we sure don't need any California bullet train kind of rail investments. Voters approved bonds for $9 Billion for a $30 Billion project that is now expected to cost $100 Billion.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:22 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,050,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
The same podcast (about coal country in S. Va and WV) talked to a school administrator who said they sent the kids home on Fri with meals for Sat and Sun. If they didn't, the kids would starve. This is in your country.
Well, if a liberal administrator said it, it must be true! Lots of school districts don't send kids home on Friday with meals for Saturday and Sunday. (In fact, if *any* do I'm curious as to how that works.) Any news references (in my country) to where kids have actually been starving to death?

Sounds to me like agenda-driven scaremongering along the lines of "we'll have to euthanize all our police dogs if we legalize pot".

Old 05-10-2018, 02:26 PM

8,294 posts, read 3,863,220 times
This Iran decision was a joke as far as I can tell it was not based on any logical reasoning or strategic plan, other than "if it happened when Obama was President it must be bad". Trump could not care less about the consequences of his actions, it's all about playing to his base. He is far more worried about building his legacy than anything else.

Old 05-10-2018, 03:59 PM

25,339 posts, read 16,977,494 times
Anyone who believes Iran is "just trying to get along" with everyone has rocks for brains.

They intended to develop a nuke, Trump got in the way, and they are outraged. You gotta laugh, though. They call us The Great Satan. But they need us. If they didn't, our policies would be about as meaningful as Bolivia's and they would ignore us.

Old 05-10-2018, 04:33 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,488,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
This Iran decision was a joke as far as I can tell it was not based on any logical reasoning or strategic plan, other than "if it happened when Obama was President it must be bad". Trump could not care less about the consequences of his actions, it's all about playing to his base. He is far more worried about building his legacy than anything else.
The Iran decision was good for two reasons:

1) The deal is deeply flawed. There is no disputing this. Both sides agreed the deal was flawed in 2015, and nothing has changed since then. It is also not a legally binding deal, so we are not forced to live with it. Trump is even encouraging our European allies to join in and make a better deal, but they refuse.. likely because they just don't like Trump. How's that for logical reasoning?

2) Pulling out of the deal sends an important message to North Korea that Trump is willing to make bold decisions on important issues. This is necessary for successful negotiations in the upcoming summit. If Kim thinks Trump will cave whenever our allies, or any other country for that matter, disagree with us on something, don't you think Kim would take advantage of that opportunity? Kim now knows that Trump is crazy enough to risk going to war over their nukes, and that is, by all accounts, a good thing.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:38 PM

42,721 posts, read 25,889,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
The Iran decision was good for two reasons:

2) Pulling out of the deal sends an important message to North Korea that Trump is willing to make bold decisions on important issues. This is necessary for successful negotiations in the upcoming summit. If Kim thinks Trump will cave whenever our allies, or any other country for that matter, disagree with us on something, don't you think Kim would take advantage of that opportunity? Kim now knows that Trump is crazy enough to risk going to war over their nukes, and that is, by all accounts, a good thing.
No, the message it sends is that no one should ever trust the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies