Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 06:16 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Kylia Carter, the mother of recent Duke basketball player Wendell Carter, unloaded on the NCAA and the current system for big-time college sports on Monday, equating the economic arrangement for athletes to those of slavery and the prison system.

Carter made her remarks during a stunning opening statement as a panelist during a meeting of the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics in Washington, D.C. After waiting through remarks of five other speakers, including St. Joseph’s men’s basketball coach Phil Martelli and ESPN basketball analyst Jay Bilas, Carter leaned into a microphone and launched into an emotional, personal indictment of system in which she referenced her own recruitment and career as player at the University of Mississippi.
Moderator cut: copyright violation
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ter/587519002/

Wow, what an absurd statement to make. Your son who went to one of the most expensive and prestigious schools in America for $0 didn't received any legal compensation?

Since when were scholarships not beneficial to student-athletes? It's not the schools fault that one and done players forgo their remaining years of college to chase the money.

Free education is more than fair and compensates the athletes for their contribution to the sports team.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 05-09-2018 at 02:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 06:26 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
They are most certainly being compensated. At least a large number of them are. A free ride is worth a lot of money. This is one thing I can not get behind.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:34 PM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Over $72k a year straight out of high school = slavery to this mom?

Old 05-07-2018, 06:36 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
“The problem that I see is not with the student-athletes, it’s not with the coaches or the institutions of higher learning but it’s with a system … where the laborers are the only people that are not being compensated for the work..."

I actually agree with the part of her statement bolded. football and basketball player athletes get little compensation compared to the millions and millions they generate for their university and their coaches. I have always thought college football and basketball athletes at very profitable athletic schools should receive a salary for playing ball.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:38 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
“The problem that I see is not with the student-athletes, it’s not with the coaches or the institutions of higher learning but it’s with a system … where the laborers are the only people that are not being compensated for the work..."

I actually agree with the part of her statement bolded. football and basketball player athletes get little compensation compared to the millions and millions they generate for their university and their coaches. I have always thought college football and basketball athletes should receive a salary for playing ball.
Where do you draw the line? Those in the sciences do research that leads to profits. Those in the arts bring in dollars. Perhaps not as much as sports but still.........do we really pay people to go to college?

Old 05-07-2018, 06:40 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
If you voluntarily do it how is it slavery?

Old 05-07-2018, 06:44 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post

I actually agree with the part of her statement bolded. football and basketball player athletes get little compensation compared to the millions and millions they generate for their university and their coaches. I have always thought college football and basketball athletes should receive a salary for playing ball.
How do you decide who gets paid what amount? The bench warmer players want to get paid too.

How do smaller schools, who don't generate much money, pay their athletes? Players from those schools want to get paid too.

Your compensation and salary is free education to a school you would've otherwise never been accepted to. Not to mention the alumni and network of important people you'll be associated with by attending some of these schools, even for just a year.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:48 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
It's like the NFL cheerleaders complaining. If you don't like the deal don't do it.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:52 PM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Insulting to those who were real slaves.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:52 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
The founder of the NCAA system, Walter Byers, compared the NCAA to slavery too:

Quote:
Usually the inventor knows his creation best. Walter Byers, who became the first executive director of the NCAA in 1951, turned a toothless organization into one that controls college sports. He grew disenchanted with his creation, however, writing in his 1995 memoir that the NCAA is “firmly committed to the neoplantation belief that the enormous proceeds from games belong to the overseers (the administrators) and supervisors (coaches). The plantation workers performing in the arena may receive only those benefits authorized by the overseers.”
https://newrepublic.com/article/1200...heyre-jim-crow

So what do you folks place against that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies