Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 09:37 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Can you point out the exception to these statutes that would allow a professor to attack people at a graduation? I think the fear of being thrown off an elevated stage could easily meet the standard required for force, including deadly force.

776.012 Use or threatened use of force in defense of person.—
(1) A person is justified in using or threatening to use force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other’s imminent use of unlawful force. A person who uses or threatens to use force in accordance with this subsection does not have a duty to retreat before using or threatening to use such force.
(2) A person is justified in using or threatening to use deadly force if he or she reasonably believes that using or threatening to use such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony. A person who uses or threatens to use deadly force in accordance with this subsection does not have a duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground if the person using or threatening to use the deadly force is not engaged in a criminal activity and is in a place where he or she has a right to be.
You might want to learn the difference between being "attacked" and restrained and/or physically directed. You are so far off base you aren't even playing baseball at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 09:38 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Me? I'm not wishy washy. I'm firm in my belief that commencement ceremonies should be kept classy and not trashy. Black kids weren't the only idiots dancing - idiots of all races danced.
Why do old farts always try to tell everyone else (especially young people) how to live? It's their ceremony, their memories. Let them do what they want within reason.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:39 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
You might want to learn the difference between being "attacked" and restrained and/or physically directed. You are so far off base you aren't even playing baseball at this point.
I guess we will see. I am willing to bet that the university employee will be criminally charged at some point. Do you want to take that bet?

Old 05-08-2018, 09:40 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
clearly that poster failed to watch the video of students being gently intercepted and guided oh-so-humanely out of the way

Old 05-08-2018, 09:41 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,548 times
Quote:
Self defense.
No.

Quote:
He had no legal right to grab people and assault them.
An uncontested touching is a battery.

Quote:
They could have stayed on stage for as long as they wanted and he still had no authority or reason to use physical force.
Interesting question.

Quote:
In fact, under Florida law the students would have been well within their rights to use deadly force to stop the attack Zimmerman style.
No.

No.

Please. You demonstrate a woeful ignorance of the Florida statute and of the basic concept of the law of self defense.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:49 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,548 times
Quote:
Can you point out the exception to these statutes that would allow a professor to attack people at a graduation? I think the fear of being thrown off an elevated stage could easily meet the standard required for force, including deadly force.
Yeah. I can.

776.012 Use or threatened use of force in defense of person.—
(1) A person is justified in using or threatening to use force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other’s imminent use of unlawful force. A person who uses or threatens to use force in accordance with this subsection does not have a duty to retreat before using or threatening to use such force.
(2) A person is justified in using or threatening to use deadly force if he or she reasonably believes that using or threatening to use such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony. A person who uses or threatens to use deadly force in accordance with this subsection does not have a duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground if the person using or threatening to use the deadly force is not engaged in a criminal activity and is in a place where he or she has a right to be.

Moreover, the law of self defense requires that the person who uses force in defense of him/herself reasonably believe that he/she is in imminent danger.

That required reasonable belief must be both subjectively and objectively reasonable.

There is much more wrong with your assertion, but, I'm not going to go through the trouble of educating you. There is plenty of information online explaining the requirements that need be satisfied to successfully assert the right to use force in self defense.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:51 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Why do old farts always try to tell everyone else (especially young people) how to live? It's their ceremony, their memories. Let them do what they want within reason.

Why do idiots have to leave their mark by pissing on all traditions?

Old 05-08-2018, 10:00 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Thats not self defense, thats assault. You might want to think about the difference. There wouldnt be a judge or jury in the world that viewed using deadly force in that situation as even remotely reasonable. I think you are just looking to be dramatic.
Yeah, his comment made no sense and he would definitely be commiting assault, so he’s trying to fall back on “self defense” now.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:09 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Me? I'm not wishy washy. I'm firm in my belief that commencement ceremonies should be kept classy and not trashy. Black kids weren't the only idiots dancing - idiots of all races danced.
I agree with this. I guess where I am a little wishy washy is that while I personally agree that they should be acting professional when receiving their diplomas, if they are moving along and not holding anything up with their dancing, I feel like that is their choice (which I don’t agree with). If they put in a concrete rule that no dancing is allowed when receiving diplomas, that would be best but then what about fist pumps/other forms of celebrations? It just seems like something that is hard to put into a rule. It’s something you would just hope graduates would respect, without having to enforce with some rule.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:11 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
The one (poster) you responded to who was being hypocritical. I agreed with what you said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies