Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 06:45 AM

45,026 posts, read 26,183,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukerZ View Post
We have a representative government by and for the people. The people is the government. Is that the armed gang you are referencing?
Uh huh. Thats what they taught you, isnt it? Im sure you approve of the money lifted from your paycheck being used to fund agencies or govt departments that spy on you, tell you what you can eat and drink, tell you what you can drive, tell you how much of your own money you can keep, use it to bomb people out of their homes, kill women and children, use it pay for your obese neighbors health concerns, send troops to places you couldnt find on a map to trespass,get killed or maimed for life while you pick up the tab...hey its all part of the price of civilization More tribute for Caesar!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 06:49 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,212,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I know some of you hate good news related to Trump...

Monthly Budget Review for April 2018

Receipts for the first seven months of fiscal year 2018 totaled $2,012 billion, CBO estimates—$83 billion more than the amount during the same period last year.

Receipts collected in April were $30 billion to $40 billion larger than CBO expected when it prepared the estimates reported in The Budget and Economic Outlook: 2018 to 2028, which it issued on April 9. The bulk of that difference stems from larger-than-anticipated payments of individual income taxes. Those payments were mostly related to economic activity in 2017 and may reflect stronger-than-expected income growth in that year. Part of the strength in receipts also may reflect larger-than-anticipated payments for economic activity in 2018. The reasons for the added revenues will be better understood as more detailed information becomes available later this year.

The federal government realized a surplus of $218 billion in April 2018, CBO estimates—$35 billion larger than the surplus in April 2017.

CBO estimates that receipts in April 2018 totaled $515 billion—$59 billion (or 13 percent) more than those in the same month last year.

Translation... the tax cuts are working as intended.
Those tax receipts could go up threefold and it wouldn’t do a damn thing for the Trump deficit.
Note the bulk came from individual income tax (folks like us) and not corporate tax. Disheartening at best.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:50 AM

16,948 posts, read 12,498,269 times
Need full year over year receipts. Quarters are too subject to swings.

Still. Im hopeful it turns out for the best.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:51 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,846,286 times
So tax receipts went up last year and the OP puts that in a plus for Trump.

But then Trump cut individual taxes -- and corporate taxes...won't that drastically reduce tax receipts for 2018 so any gain will probably be wiped out.

This is the kind of stuff that makes me crazy.

Trump just announced the three prisoners were released -- Pompeo was successful in negotiating their release. He seems to be the real deal with foreign diplomacy -- finally after 17 months somebody that knows what they are doing.

And instead the OP is claiming Trump somehow masterminded an increase in tax receipts for 2017.

?????

Please can we stop the dumbing down of America soon.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:03 AM

37,941 posts, read 17,747,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I know some of you hate good news related to Trump...

Monthly Budget Review for April 2018

Receipts for the first seven months of fiscal year 2018 totaled $2,012 billion, CBO estimates—$83 billion more than the amount during the same period last year.

Receipts collected in April were $30 billion to $40 billion larger than CBO expected when it prepared the estimates reported in The Budget and Economic Outlook: 2018 to 2028, which it issued on April 9. The bulk of that difference stems from larger-than-anticipated payments of individual income taxes. Those payments were mostly related to economic activity in 2017 and may reflect stronger-than-expected income growth in that year. Part of the strength in receipts also may reflect larger-than-anticipated payments for economic activity in 2018. The reasons for the added revenues will be better understood as more detailed information becomes available later this year.

The federal government realized a surplus of $218 billion in April 2018, CBO estimates—$35 billion larger than the surplus in April 2017.

CBO estimates that receipts in April 2018 totaled $515 billion—$59 billion (or 13 percent) more than those in the same month last year.

Translation... the tax cuts are working as intended.
You're happy because the people have less money?
Yes lets take more of the peoples money and give it to government who doesn't spend it wisely.

This is like having Obama in office all over again. The blinded supporters line up and repeat nonsense. Why of course you don't need your right hand, it just makes you weigh more.

Why the need for more tax money? Oh that's right trump lied when he said he wanted to lower spending and keep us out of other nations civil wars.

I want to know from Trump supporters what does it feel like when your big government candidate is doing many of the same things the other sides big government candidate did when he was in the White house. I wonder if they are going to ignore the flip flops and broken promises like many of the Obama supporters did?

Look at the new boss same as the old boss.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:54 AM

18,396 posts, read 7,010,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Whatever the Trump tax cuts are intended to do vis-à-vis the economy, forget it. It ain’t gonna happen.

If it was intended to enrich gazillionaires even moreso, then yes...it’s gonna work like a charm. They aren’t gonna reinvest most of that money, and it’s not gonna trickle down into extra pay for workers.

There aren’t gonna be any cuts in government spending. In fact, I expect defense spending to go even more sky high.

The Trump tax cuts will be a disaster. Supply side economics simply doesn’t work.

So your solution is to just have us all turn over our entire paychecks to the IRS because the big government you endorse is incapable of reigning in spending?

Tell ya what..... you go first, we’ll be right behind you.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:59 AM

57,022 posts, read 35,029,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
[/b]

So your solution is to just have us all turn over our entire paychecks to the IRS because the big government you endorse is incapable of reigning in spending?

Tell ya what..... you go first, we’ll be right behind you.
Dude, seriously...you don’t pay that much anyway if you pay anything at all. Don’t flatter yourself too much.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:15 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,846,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukerZ View Post
Tax cuts have never, ever, ever, been self financing. Ever.

You know what cutting tax revenue does? It decreases tax revenue. That's common sense. Cutting revenue does not increase revenue like a broken slot machine.

There is no magic of increased revenue. Magic is a trick of deception and those believing that tax cuts increase tax revenue have been deceived.

I can't believe I have to tell this to people. Jeez, do you guys believe in elves and brownies as well?
This is my thinking.

A truly conservative budget doesn't cut revenues and some expenses. It raises revenues and cuts expenses (doesn't shift the spending - CUTS it).

There isn't a politician in the USA that has been a fiscal conservative.

It means sacrifices for all somewhere -- it just does.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:23 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,675,667 times
I think you need to actually read the report and not fall victim to one headline.

Receipts are up 4% yay!

Outlays are up 5%...

That's like saying "yay! I got a 4% raise - oh but my total expenses just ate up 4% of that and I need to dig into my pocket for the other 1% as well."

I could swap a link from this 2018 report to a cherry-picked CBO report from the Obama era that had receipts up by 16% with outlays DOWN half a point. And if people didn't realize, they'd think those must be Trump's numbers.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:25 AM

11,912 posts, read 6,490,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Budget surplus? Record tax revenues, you say?

But the Clinton News Network said that President Trump's economic/tax policy would be an unmitigated disaster that would lead to our country's financial ruin
And Nancy Pelosi said thousands of Americans will die because of it........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies