Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 04:51 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times

Advertisements

It's hardly news any more. Pruitt and virtually anyone and everyone hired by Trump are all based on "pay to play".

This is the Art of the Con. Note that all the money (access is money) that these companies and individuals (Russians) are buying comes from you and I...in the form of taxes. Worse yet, it comes from debt and deficit, which Trump added 1.5 Trillion to.

So, effectively, Russians are going to get the money instead of Grandma...and Grandma will have to pay more or suffer. Same goes with virtually everyone else. Those without "access" will lose the game and those with it will get to take home all the marbles.

Isn't MAGA great? Great Words. Great Promises. Great Entertainment.

But an embarrassment to our nation and way of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 04:55 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
So it's OK then? Why? If this is run of the mill government corruption, palm greasing, bribery or whatever, it is not acceptable. Trump, in particular, ran on a platform that he was going to clean this up and here he is with his closest associate (probably with his blessing) neck deep in the swamp. It is a betrayal.
The bolded has been going on for many years and from both parties. Yes the people have accepted it and expect it and will only point out infractions from the other party.

What do our leaders do after leaving office? could it be selling access? lobbying for legislation?

That is the way the system works and we all know it.

Old 05-09-2018, 04:57 PM

25,689 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Is this anything like former president Obama promising Russian a statesman that he (Obama) would have more "flexibility" after the 2012 election?

Old 05-09-2018, 05:04 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Nothing to do with Trump. Nothing came of it. Don't you think this happens in every industry? Not illegal.
LOL. I seem to remember something about 'draining the swamp' and 'only I can fix it".

Now you are slobbering all over yourself to defend his blatant pay to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Probably not as many as to Obama, Bush, Clintons and other career politicians.
But what about Lincoln?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
OMG, someone sold access in DC?

Democracy always breeds selling access, influence on legislation, and propaganda.

What Cohen did takes place around the clock in DC.
All Trump talked about was how he was going to be different. Because he 'didn't need the money' and he was 'beholden to no one" and he was 'familiar with the system'.

More lies. Every single thing that you crow 'LOCK HER UP " about - Trump has done and then some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Is this anything like former president Obama promising Russian a statesman that he (Obama) would have more "flexibility" after the 2012 election?
The answer to your question is no; it's not.

Old 05-09-2018, 05:08 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
... the transactions suggest that Cohen was "selling access to the President of the United States." Cohen, his attorney and the White House did not respond to a request for comment."[/b][/i]
Woops!

Old 05-09-2018, 05:14 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,652,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
Novartis official: Michael Cohen was 'promising access' after Trump election

Play for pay..simple as that, I guess:

Brief quote:

"President Donald Trump's personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, contacted the drug giant Novartis after the 2016 election "promising access" to the new administration, and Special Counsel Robert Mueller later requested information from the company about the offer, a senior official inside Novartis told NBC News on Wednesday.

"He [Cohen] contacted us after the new administration was in place," the official said. "He was promising access to the new administration."

The disclosure came after an attorney representing the adult-film actress who says she had an affair with Trump released a summary of bank transactions that he says shows payments from various companies to a company controlled by Cohen.

That lawyer, Michael Avenatti, said the transactions suggest that Cohen was "selling access to the President of the United States." Cohen, his attorney and the White House did not respond to a request for comment."
All presidents do things like that. In America you need $950 million dollars in campaign funds to run for president, and the unions, CEO's, and corporations that give our politicians that money get special access for donating the money. And presidents literally sell direct access for certain amounts of money given to them.

Donors who gave Bill Clinton $50,000-$100,000 got "an overnight stay in the Lincoln Bedroom or dinner with Clinton at the White House."

Donors who gave George W. Bush $100,000 or more got "an overnight stay at the White House or Camp David."

And donors who gave Obama $500,000 or more "scored invites to quarterly meetings with Obama and other exclusive perks."

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...ncoln-bedroom/

A while back I was visiting a friend of my stepdad and he had a picture of him shaking hands with GW Bush. I asked him How did you get to shake hands with the president? He said "I gave someone $10,000. I could have had coffee/tea with the president for $25,000, but in the $10,000 meeting Bush did not seem interested in the things I was asking for, so I decided against paying $25,000 to have the coffee/tea meeting, I was not going to get what I wanted."

Last edited by chad3; 05-09-2018 at 05:33 PM..

Old 05-09-2018, 05:24 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Umm yeah? They’re called ‘registered lobbyists’.

Cohen ain’t one..
Does he have to be? nothing changes if he was registered or not. Cohen told clients he has the ear of the president. That he was well thought of since he was Trumps lawyer and they go back many years, etc. Those clients decided to pay for his services and later terminate the relationship.

Oh wait, pay to play is nothing new and should be expected from democracy.

Old 05-09-2018, 05:25 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
All presidents do things like that. In America you need $950 million dollars in campaign funds to run for president, and the unions, CEO's, and corporations that give our politicians that money get special access for donating the money. And presidents literally sell direct access for certain amounts of money given to them.

Donors who gave Bill Clinton $50,000-$100,000 got "an overnight stay in the Lincoln Bedroom or dinner with Clinton at the White House."

Donors who gave George W. Bush $100,000 or more got "an overnight stay at the White House or Camp David."

And donors who gave Obama $500,000 or more "scored invites to quarterly meetings with Obama and other exclusive perks."

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...ncoln-bedroom/

A while back I was visiting a friend of my stepdad and he had a picture of him shaking hands with GW Bush. I asked him How did you get to shake hands with the president? He said "I gave someone $10,000. I could have had coffee/tea with the president for $25,000, but in the $10,000 meeting Bush did not seem interested in the things I was asking for, so I decided against paying $25,000 to have coffee/tea meeting, I was not going to get what I wanted."
I imagine that you think it’s reasonable to compare disclosed campaign donations to bribes paid to a secret slush fund.

Old 05-09-2018, 05:27 PM

37,170 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Whaddabout that?

Old 05-09-2018, 05:31 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,442,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
We will go after Cohen right AFTER we after ALL the "pay for play the Obama admin and the Clinton's were engage in, if that is alright with you.
It is NOT alright with me! Go for them all..every last cheesy one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies