Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2018, 02:32 PM

1,977 posts, read 3,577,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Again, it's more than just a diatribe on policy. You didn't even have to read very far to understand that she is one of those busy body types.

She saw a woman on campus at Berkley wearing a niqab. In true busy body fashion, she was incensed, but did not approach as she a) saw that the woman was with 2 other people and b) had no immediate higher authority to use to back up her own so called authority that she believes that she has.

So what did she do, instead? She went on to the Ni Putes Ni Soumises page, an organization, (not a forum), in her words: "is the amazing women’s rights organization, with global headquarters in Paris, France". So for her, this organization is her authority that she uses to back up her so called authority on the matter of women wearing niqabs. She has made it her mission to "maintain this page to spread the Ni Putes Ni Soumises message of Secularism, Gender Equality, and Gender Desegregation throughout the English-speaking world."

In other words, she's pretending to be an authority on the subject by using the "authority" (in her mind) of an organization.

That is not the same thing as posting on a forum. We come to City Data to express our opinions, and in many cases, debate with other people. We have no authority here. You can't say, "I posted this on City Data" and have anyone care anymore about what you said than if you wrote it in your personal diary. None of us, except the mods and owners, have any type of authority, real or made up, on City Data, or any other forum for that matter.

Spouting your beliefs on City Data is nothing more than spouting your beliefs. Spouting your beliefs on a page for an organization that has a "global headquarters", and "spreads messages throughout the English speaking world" comes across as her believing that it makes her an authority, which is exactly what busy body types do.

This annoying lady walked in to the Common room, saw a fellow student sleeping there, and what did she say? "You're not supposed to be sleeping in here. I'm going to call the police." What did she not say? She did not say, "Who are you?" She did not say, "Why are you here?" She did not say, "You're trespassing", she said, "You're not supposed to be sleeping in here" which tells me that she KNEW the other lady was a student. But because she's "one of those" types, she had to assert her made up authority, and because she's a spineless B, she used a higher authority to back her up.

Her post shows her doing the exact same thing, repeatedly.
What a wench!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 02:33 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
So any adversarial interaction with someone of a different race means I MUST be racist??? That is what you are saying.
No. Just the racist ones. If your only conflict w/ telling people what they can or can't do happens to be w/ PoC, then I'm going to think you have an issue w/ PoC. I can side eye someone on one incident and move on. Two becomes a pattern that gets called out.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:36 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
The amount of completely stupid stuff that makes national news these days is astounding.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:40 PM

2,828 posts, read 824,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Absolutely ridiculous. Anyone who has completed a postgraduate degree has fallen asleep studying. The other student was clearly attempting to cause trouble, likely jealous. This is exam time. She knew just what she was doing and should be suspended or expelled.

The police were ignorant for acting as though there was a problem with her ID. They were well aware of what the ID looks like. I’ll be darned if I am an Ivy League grad student being harassed in my own dorm by jealous people who likely went to community college if any college at all. Glad the young lady made this public.
I agree the girl who called the police was an overreacting idiot, but I have to wonder why the girl who fell asleep turned the lights off in the common room? That room is for everyone to use, not for her to sleep in and she seemed to be close to her dorm room, so why didn't she go to her room to sleep if that was her intention?

Old 05-10-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Absolutely ridiculous. Anyone who has completed a postgraduate degree has fallen asleep studying. The other student was clearly attempting to cause trouble, likely jealous. This is exam time. She knew just what she was doing and should be suspended or expelled.

The police were ignorant for acting as though there was a problem with her ID. They were well aware of what the ID looks like. I’ll be darned if I am an Ivy League grad student being harassed in my own dorm by jealous people who likely went to community college if any college at all. Glad the young lady made this public.
She didn't fall asleep while studying, she turned the lights out to intentionally go to sleep.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:43 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
No. Just the racist ones. If your only conflict w/ telling people what they can or can't do happens to be w/ PoC, then I'm going to think you have an issue w/ PoC. I can side eye someone on one incident and move on. Two becomes a pattern that gets called out.
Two is not a pattern. And you don't even have two incidents in this case. You have one incident, and one hearsay. You are judging this woman based on ONE incident. You are rushing to judgment.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
I agree the girl who called the police was an overreacting idiot, but I have to wonder why the girl who fell asleep turned the lights off in the common room? That room is for everyone to use, not for her to sleep in and she seemed to be close to her dorm room, so why didn't she go to her room to sleep if that was her intention?
It's the end of the year, the load work is very tough. You are someplace with all your materials around you, working. You realize you can't keep your eyes open anymore. Are you going to organize the texts, the notes, the laptop, and any other materials, haul them back to your room, or are you going to turn off the lights and put your head down for a quick nap?

Old 05-10-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It's the end of the year, the load work is very tough. You are someplace with all your materials around you, working. You realize you can't keep your eyes open anymore. Are you going to organize the texts, the notes, the laptop, and any other materials, haul them back to your room, or are you going to turn off the lights and put your head down for a quick nap?
I don't have an issue with it, but anyone coming in to use that room has the right to turn the lights on, hell why not study in her own room instead? What if there were 1 or 2 other people in that room, would she have turned the lights off then?

Old 05-10-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I don't have an issue with it, but anyone coming in to use that room has the right to turn the lights on, hell why not study in her own room instead? What if there were 1 or 2 other people in that room, would she have turned the lights off then?
Of course anyone coming in could turn the lights on. And if there had been other people in the room, she probably would have packed up her things and gone back to her room. But the fact is that it was late, she was alone, and packing up stuff was more bother than it was worth.

Old 05-10-2018, 03:52 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:
I agree the girl who called the police was an overreacting idiot, but I have to wonder why the girl who fell asleep turned the lights off in the common room?
How do we know she was the one who turned the lights out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies