Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2018, 11:46 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yes, and they checked her ID, so I am not seeing the issue.

Universities are the sight of people who hang around, either gotten booted out from university, or are friends/boy or girls friends of students. A person who got kicked out can in fact still have their ID with them, and even have the key. I still have my school IDs even though I do not attend.

Seems you are just wanting to hop on the "cops are bad" bandwagon and seek to find something to complain about them. They did what is pretty SOP; they checked the ID, verified the ID, went on their way.

And yes, I understand not all colleges are the same, do not know what that has to do with anything. A college does not make someone more or less respectful by mere fact of them going to college. I have no idea why you have this pretentious, nose up attitude towards people just by what their job is. The police fill an important role in society, including the serving of people like you who look down on them.
This is a GRADUATE dorm at Yale university - immediately prior to finals. This is not some random little party school mid-semester.

This isn’t about cops being bad. I have worked around and with police for years. They needed to spare the stupid commentary. She had an ID and the key to her dorm room. Thankfully, I worked with more sensible officers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 11:46 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Yale needs to expel the racist trash who harassed this innocent student.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/09/us/ya...rnd/index.html
Stupid racist chick pulled a stupid stunt, but it's not something you should expel anyone for. It's still a free country and even if it makes you a complete a-hole, you actually have the right to hate black people, white people, asian people, Native Americans, Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus or whatever. Sure give little Miss Racist a stern talking to, but it merits nothing more.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Yup, liberals better be very careful with how often they cry wolf.

This story is a non-issue faux outrage.

If the person is a stranger, you call the police, I couldn’t care less if they went to Harvard, Princeton, and Yale. Murders, assaults, and robbery happen on college campuses every year.

Society needs to stop these race baiting stories.
So should conservatives. This was a waste of the time and resources of law enforcement. Sensible people do not call the police on a student who fell asleep while studying. That means this student had study materials. The woman who called the police should be at least suspended but also fined.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:55 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Some "look younger"...some don't. A grad student IS typically older than an undergrad-typically maybe 23-25 years old. Not 34. Not unreasonable to find a middle aged woman passed out in a public area of an Ivy League university to be unusual-regardless of race. It's not like she fell asleep while studying-the lights were turned off, per her own words.

All she had to do was present her ID when asked and the incident was over. But no-what fun is that when you can make something into a racial incident? Seems like another overly entitled, arrogant idiot with a huge chip on her shoulder. Real question-are students required to present ID when asked? IF SO-she should be facing discipline from the school.
Get real. There is nothing unusual about a graduate student in his or her 30s. Lots of people return to school after a few years of work, either to further their education in their current field, or to move to a different one.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:02 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
The same people always defend white folks regardless of how stupid their actions are. Why the hell did this woman waste the cops time over something so trivial.

and for the record, white women are notorious for calling the cops to do their dirty work.
Would you care to explain this comment?

I agree that calling the police over this was stupid, but I don't see how that justifies such a generalization.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:05 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
So should conservatives. This was a waste of the time and resources of law enforcement. Sensible people do not call the police on a student who fell asleep while studying. That means this student had study materials. The woman who called the police should be at least suspended but also fined.
Suspended and fined for being a nut?

Ok, good luck with that precedent.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:05 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
This is a GRADUATE dorm at Yale university - immediately prior to finals. This is not some random little party school mid-semester.

This isn’t about cops being bad. I have worked around and with police for years. They needed to spare the stupid commentary. She had an ID and the key to her dorm room. Thankfully, I worked with more sensible officers.
There goes your pretentious attitude again, lol, as if no one at all ever parties at Yale nor has any negative issues at all there. And all of this would be ok with you is it was not at Yale?

All the cops did was check her ID, not seeing what the big deal is, there was a name match issue, and they solved it. Given the heightened awareness of violence at schools, the cops made sure they did not skip any procedure, because they would look at potentially losing their jobs, being sued, etc, if something were to occur and an investigation found that they skipped a procedure.

As I stated, having an ID means nothing, I still have my student IDs. They just verified it is all.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:06 AM

Quote:
The 34-year-old graduate student, Lolade Siyonbola, said she was taking a nap amidst working on a “marathon of papers,” when around 1:30 a.m. on Tuesday morning, a white female student flipped on the lights of the common room, told Siyonbola she had no right to sleep there, and then called the police.
Fell asleep with papers everywhere in the middle of the night. Dorms have limited access after hours. The chick that called the police was purposely making trouble.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
There goes your pretentious attitude again, lol, as if no one at all ever parties at Yale nor has any negative issues at all there. And all of this would be ok with you is it was not at Yale?

All the cops did was check her ID, not seeing what the big deal is, there was a name match issue, and they solved it. Given the heightened awareness of violence at schools, the cops made sure they did not skip any procedure, because they would look at potentially losing their jobs, being sued, etc, if something were to occur and an investigation found that they skipped a procedure.

As I stated, having an ID means nothing, I still have my student IDs. They just verified it is all.
Why does it bother you so much? This is around exam time and the young woman fell asleep in a bunch of papers. You seem bothered that I recognize Yale’s status and that this graduate student is therefore among the best and brightest.

If you want to defend the troublemaker’s ghetto behavior, go on ahead.

The name was misspelled. However, their commentary was unnecessary. The officer did not even properly articulate the issue. As said previously, I’ve worked with better police.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:11 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Fell asleep with papers everywhere in the middle of the night. Dorms have limited access after hours. The chick that called the police was purposely making trouble.
Bro, how old are you?

"Working on papers" means a smart phone, tablet or laptop.

Ain't nobody at Yale getting a masters using a good ol' #2 pencil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies