Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one do you ban?
Gun number A should be banned. 3 50.00%
Gun number B should be banned. 1 16.67%
Gun number C should be banned. 2 33.33%
Gun number D should be banned. 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 08:56 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Cars statistically kill more people than firearms.
Going to implement more hoops to jump through for them?

I'm with ya. Nobody needs a high capacity fuel tank, fully automatic transmissions, more specifically F series ford pickups with their military grade aluminum bodies. They're vehicles of war for God sakes. Who needs one of those!
I drive an electric. I'm totally behind people needing to jump through more hoops to buy gas guzzlers, too.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:59 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
designed with loose tolerances so it works flawlessly under battle conditions, mud, dirt etc.

AR had problems with jamming early on and it is no coincidence that several of the shootings mentioned guns jamming. Ammo plays a part in jams as well.

Ban NONE of those guns.

It is the democrats proverbial slippery slope that ends with the banning of all firearms.

Ban auto shotguns and you ban a two shot automatic designed by Browning in the late 50s, whose justification for a two shot auto shotgun was a concern that in the future semiauto guns would be restricted. Known as the Browning 12weight or 20weight. One in the magazine and one in the chamber, no different than a double barrel shotgun, yet classified as a semi auto gun subject to banning.
High level classification used by states to ban some weapons, erroneously bans others that operate differently....and more nefariously, puts a target on the guns that are not banned.
Revolvers are semi-automatic. The mag, is a mounted cylinder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 09:00 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Well, people aren't doing a lot of killing with mouths or bibles. Not directly, anyway.
Granted, things are fairly peaceful in the Bible belt these days but more people have been killed across human history because of what's written in that book than any book EVER written.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:03 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
I drive an electric. I'm totally behind people needing to jump through more hoops to buy gas guzzlers, too.
Fueled by coal, ugly and noisy wind turbines that kill 1000 of birds, and hydro electric that kill billions of fish a year.
We will not get into the by-products of battery production.
Nice trade off.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:05 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Fueled by coal, ugly and noisy wind turbines that kill 1000 of birds, and hydro electric that kill billions of fish a year.
Nice trade off.
You guys in Texas stick with fossil fuels and gas guzzling cars and see how long Texas remains a nice place to live.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:13 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,339,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Hint. One of these things is on the same level of lethality as a napkin.
As far as I know, none of those guns are real but a harmless replica made for movies.

I was assuming all those are real and you were just posting those pics for reference.

I didn't know you were playing a little game on gun grabbers. You know damn well they couldn't tell the difference between a play toy gun than a real one, even if the end of the barrel had an orange tip.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:18 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
As far as I know, none of those guns are real but a harmless replica made for movies.

I was assuming all those are real and you were just posting those pics for reference.

I didn't know you were playing a little game on gun grabbers. You know damn well they couldn't tell the difference between a play toy gun than a real one, even if the end of the barrel had an orange tip.
The orange tip is a "silencer". Didn't you know that? And yes, someone told the local police that when she called to report a "child with an assault weapon" in her neighbor's back yard.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:27 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Not really...

Exhibit A
https://youtu.be/vfONckOPyaI

Then there's many videos of those "trained" that shoot themselves...
I recall a few threads where those who were trained had been shot by their offspring, their offspring shot themselves by finding a weapon.

Over confidence and a "it'll never happen to me" attitude combined with the forbidden fruit approach to firearms = Darwin Parenting award.

Far as parents go...
It's simple really.

Ladies, don't leave pistols in purses. You have far better options to carry concealed than a purse. Kids are attracted to purses like moths to a flame. Besides that's the first thing a burglar goes for. Alot of good that purse, clutch, bag is when some rapscallion takes off running with it...

(Had to shoot my own sister with her pistol in a simunition class to show her how foolish leaving a pistol in a purse is, now she has a garter holster for dresses/skirts, Sticky holster for pants/shorts for waistband, corset holster, and a bra holster that puts the weapon in her weak arms armpit, and spare mags in her strong arms armpit. Women have more, and better options than their hand bags for concealed carry)
She was of the same attitude, oh that would never happen. Nobody grabs a purse runs, and shifts through it while running. I keep it close and tight to me under my arm.
broke the straps and made 10 paces before I had the weapon and spun around putting all 8 shots in her chest. Blink of an eye I had that purse. 5 seconds she was dead on the ground if that were live ammo.

Fellas, don't leave your weapon on the night stand while junior roams about.
There's plenty of hide away options within an arms reach of where you rest your head at night, that junior can't access.

Like the head board to my bed.
Is it really a head board or do you need an RFID card near the bottom right corner to have a foam cut out tray drop down with an AR Shotgun 2 pistols and spare mags?
Did it cost money? Sure it did. Some day down the road I'd like to have kids. A bedside lock box is useless to me. Running down the hall to the spare bedroom full of safes exposes me should an armed intruder be inside at 2 am. There's also the risk of the girlfriend being nerve wracked and mistaking me for the bad guy. Hence-shouting a password to come back down the hallway so she doesn't plug me.
There's only so much one can train for. And that money for training can be saved with common sense.

Again... common sense isn't a common commodity. There are 2 things you cant teach.
Common sense and ambition.

If you're going to have kids and guns... at the very least, do not create an allure with the "forbidden fruit" approach. You'll win a Darwin parenting award as quick with the forbidden fruit approach as one would carelessly leaving a weapon laying around...

But honestly, how many folks reproduce that you wouldn't trust raising a puppy, let alone a child these days? Whether they have firearms in the house or not...

Will training reduce the occurrences? Probably. Only so much.

All it takes is one moment of forgetfulness like the Air Marshall that left their sidearm in the bathroom and some folks coming to justify it as, oh they're over worked, under paid, tired, accidents happen, you'd do the same...

No. My holsters are in waistband. If I have to drop my drawers to squat, the holsters stay right in the pants at my ankles. There's no forgetting. 1911s aren't particularly light. Neither are Glock 19s. Lift pants you're getting smacked in the ankle with the mag well.
The toilet tank is not a good place, the chit ticket dispenser is not a good place, neither is the sink.
You're already in a compromising situation/position. Why leave it out of your immediate reach to potentially be forgotten?

With regards to training, it's more of developing good habits than it is the 4 simple rules and keeping your booger hooks off the bangswitch at all times.
What works for some won't work for others.

Some folks are portly and can't carry in waist band, their done flop will push it out or surely print.
Some folks love their bulky 6 shooters and need dirty Harry's suspenders holster. Some folks like useless belly blasters that fit in the palm of their hand and keep them in their pockets.
Some folks like Austrian plastic fantastics with bulky slides.
Some folks have limited range of motion and can't have a holster in a cross draw position.
What habits work for you might not work for me. What habits work for me doesn't work for most.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have 3420 rounds to put away. 3,000 to go on stripper clips for this weekends tournament.

Cool story on this company. Makes me want to buy a couple more lowers from them just because.
https://youtu.be/f3eQGOCHsi4

Old 05-10-2018, 09:54 AM

8,750 posts, read 3,118,763 times
Quote:
Whichever ones are commonly use to shoot people. But, I'm not for full bans, necessarily.

Just for making them harder to obtain.
Does that go for cops as well?

Old 05-10-2018, 09:59 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
You can only ban one of the following guns. So which one would you ban?

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Exhibit C:

Exhibit D:

Which of these is deadliest? Scariest? Way more powerful than any citizen should ever need to own?

Discuss!
Honestly, I cannot even name all four. (I can name three)

So who am I to say which one should be banned, which one shouldn't.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies