Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 12:40 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
The professional dogs can be acclimated by being kept in a cage with periodic pot smoke vented in.

After a while, they will be able to deal with their new world.
They have already been perfecting this process in secret, so it is already good to go:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 12:42 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,396,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
None of that matters to the argument because people should have sovereignty over what they do with their own bodies.
Not a cogent reply, as it overtly ignores the points made in my argument. Its almost as if you didn't read it.

If your argument is to hold water, then it would have to be an argument toward making crack and opioids freely available (legal as recreation).

Is that what you mean to suggest?

Old 05-10-2018, 12:42 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
I'm sorry, you are too off-base, narrow minded, and blinded to have a reasonable discussion with. Most everyone on this thread knows who has the most experience and who speaks the truth.

Any further discussion with you is wasting my time and the forum reader's time.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:44 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,835 times
Quote:
Not a cogent reply, as it overtly ignores the points made in my argument. Its almost as if you didn't read it.

If your argument is to hold water, then it would have to be an argument toward making crack and opioids freely available (legal as recreation).

Is that what you mean to suggest?
Your reply is irrelevant to the overriding factor in my belief that it should be legalized, which is derived from my personal belief in the right of bodily autonomy. It is not like the law stops people from doing what they want with their own bodies anyway. Laws are punitive in nature not preventative. Putting a person in prison for harming themself only decreases the likelyhood of them ever contributing to society and INCREASES the eventual likelyhood of them becoming a bad actor who harms other people through crimes that result in actual innocent victims.

Yea, they should be legalized, that wont happen in the current the social climate, better some progress than none.

Last edited by zzzSnorlax; 05-10-2018 at 12:53 PM..

Old 05-10-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
I'm sorry, you are too off-base, narrow minded, and blinded to have a reasonable discussion with. Most everyone on this thread knows who has the most experience and who speaks the truth.

Any further discussion with you is wasting my time and the forum reader's time.
Your non-arguments just mean that you have lost the argument here. Which, ironic to your claims, means that my posts are those which are worth reading.

In my last long post, I went back and added in some advice to get sober; near the bottom. I'd advise taking it.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:50 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
The police are already experts at shooting dogs, so it's no surprise they'd come to this conclusion.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:06 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,122 times
Quote:
Your non-arguments just mean that you have lost the argument here. Which, ironic to your claims, means that my posts are those which are worth reading.

In my last long post, I went back and added in some advice to get sober; near the bottom. I'd advise taking it.
A VERY predictable post.

After 47 years of successful (man that word must really stick in your craw) use of cannabis, and using it to break a centuries old alcohol demon in my family, including my 40 year old daughter who doesn't drink to this day, and that's your advice.

You are so easy to see through...

Excuse me while I laugh my way to the bank.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Your reply is irrelevant to the overriding factor in my belief that it should be legalized, which is derived from my personal belief the right of bodily autonomy. It is not like the law stops people from doing what they want with their own bodies anyway. Laws are punitive in nature not preventative. Putting a person in prison for harming themself only decreases the likelyhood of them ever contributing to society and INCREASES the eventual likelyhood of them becoming a bad actor who harms other people through crimes that result in actual innocent victims.

Yea, they should be legalized, that wont happen in the current the social climate, better some progress than none.
Gotcha.

You have a right to your views.

I don't need to argue against them, further, because, again you have a right to them.

They're also so radical and lacking necessary context that I know that what you want will never come about. In my mind, their invalidation is inherent and so I need not argue. But that's merely my view, just like you have yours.

One strange aspect of people that I've noticed (and I am by no means exempt from this in other areas) is how much they don't discern in terms of issue complexity. International affairs is another such issue (that most of us can't help but to be blind in regard to, due to the classified information necessary to truly understand). I'm just trying to highlight my point using another example.

For your result to come about, we'd have to broadly discount the complex nature of drug regulation across all pharmaceuticals, and be content with the population being able to self medicate. That would throw medical care into disarray, in such a broad fashion, that the medical system could be overwhelmed and collapse. Imagine the uptick in cases from people taking the wrong medications, or in the wrong amounts. That's even excluding addictive drugs.

Now, what about the lower socioeconomic communities that are now barely kept stable by financially strained police forces? What happens to them when the addict rate skyrockets?

Next to whose homes are we going to build the addiction centers? No one wants them nearby.

Drugs are regulated for good reasons having more to do with broad social outcomes than individual rights. That's why we jail individuals for drug use, not because there is any lack of inherent "right" to self-medicate. The reasoning is that society's rights take precedent over the rights of the individual in this matter, because the trade-off in social harm is relatively stark, immediate and predictable. Broad deregulation of drugs is socially untenable unless this nation wants to see a further decline in social outcomes.

Again, we can agree to have our individual beliefs on the matter.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:08 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,868,942 times
Quote:
They have already been perfecting this process in secret, so it is already good to go:
You . . . You just tell me what would happen if pit bulls were acclimated per such.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
A VERY predictable post.

After 47 years of successful (man that word must really stick in your craw) use of cannabis, and using it to break a centuries old alcohol demon in my family, including my 40 year old daughter who doesn't drink to this day, and that's your advice.
You're so petty that, after I gave you a sincere congratulations on your success, you tell me that your success bothers me?

Your re-framing of my magnanimity, to take an invented jab at me, is beneath you.

Your personal alcohol demon?

Your daughter uses cannabis?

Alcoholism runs in my family too (Father and Grandfather). As does weed use (not widespread, but a couple of people).

I don't smoke it nor drink. Used to do both, first the latter and then the former to break free of the latter.

You can absolutely wean off of the weed at this point. There is no such thing as a 47 year addiction hedge. I went about ten years after I was done drinking and then weaned off. I really wish I had done so earlier, as using it is merely an emotional inability to begin the "drying out" process that need not be delayed.

Doing so is hard, but weed is an addiction that is a much worse life experience than sobriety. Since I'm not an alcoholic, I can "enjoy" an exceedingly occasional glass of wine with dinner for social reasons. I don't look for it, though, nor do I really enjoy it. I hate feeling sluggish and foggy, and really enjoy feeling clear headed and sober from weed and alcohol. Which is how I know that a little alcohol is safe a this point. That's the result of an extended sobriety period (years).

That you don't want to stop smoking has nothing to do with alcohol. In fact, I know that weed use and alcohol can both drive use of the other when too much of one is taken, or when in withdrawal from one is in play. In other words, your weed use can easily be the cause of alcohol cravings, which then cause you to think that more weed use is warranted. After you get truly sober, all of those cravings pass.

Quote:
You are so easy to see through...
A typical addict response to someone who is encouraging them to get healthy. There is nothing to "see" through. I respect older people and think its sad when they are cannabis addicts. Once in a while, sure. Every day, or near so, not cool at all. Life is a gift. Learn to live it clearly, apart from the fog. Just my advice.

I think that we can end the conversation here. Try not to be mad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies