Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should pot mokers be allowed to collect unemployment?
Yes 43 63.24%
No 25 36.76%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 02:45 PM

39,026 posts, read 51,082,683 times

Advertisements

Any alcohol or drug use should disqualify from public benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 02:46 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,326,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Probably not although both pot smokers and "drunks" should be able to go into a rehab and get treatment if they need to. If smoking pot or drinking alcohol is more important to someone than being employed, they have a problem.
Using cannabis or alcohol does not necessarily prevent someone from being employed. It depends on the profession.

21,081 posts, read 19,579,298 times
I guess the official answer is “no” where I live.

Quote:
Now, and solely in the context of unemployment benefits, claimants will be disqualified from receiving unemployment benefits if the claimant’s: (1) positive drug test for marijuana was caused by the ingestion of marijuana at the workplace; (2) discharge is based on the fact that the claimant was under the influence of marijuana at the workplace; or (3) inability to demonstrate that he or she is a qualifying patient who has been issued and possesses a registry identification card under the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act.
https://www.michigan.gov/uia/0,4680,...6651--,00.html
Sorry. I could (should?) have checked before asking. Well maybe it will help someone to know.

16,376 posts, read 22,427,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Yes it will. Alcohol is legal but I can still be fired for having it in my system at work. Making pot legal (which I support) will not negate employment rules.
Having alcohol in the system,to a level of being intoxicated, means that someone is drunk. I can see being fired for being drunk at work. Just like a DUI - failing the test means they are drunk.

However, someone can fail a pot test without being high because pot stays in the body for many weeks after use, long after the high wore off.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:47 PM

17,320 posts, read 11,192,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
This is getting tricky for companies to deny employent over pot because either recreational or medical pot is legal in many states, with new states passing laws each year. I think proof of marijuana use can stay in the body for several weeks, possibly a couple months. If someone went to Colorado 3 weeks ago and had a pot brownie, would a future employer turn them down due to failing the drug test.

Pretty soon companies will be forced to remove pot from the tests, as more states make it legal. It's like telling someone they aren't getting hired because they had a Bud Light 2 weeks ago on a Saturday night.
It's not difficult at all and companies will never need to remove pot tests as an employment requirement as long as pot is Federally illegal. It's pretty simple. Federal law trumps State law. There's no if ands or buts.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:48 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,929,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I guess the official answer is “no” where I live.

Sorry. I could (should?) have checked before asking. Well maybe it will help someone to know.
Actually, no. It only says that you’re prohibited from receiving unemployment if you used marijuana on the job.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:48 PM

21,081 posts, read 19,579,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Yes, provided they paid into it.
If two people, one on pot and one not, become unemployed and they then both apply for a job that requires a drug test, is it fair that one has to go to work and one can continue to collect unemployment?

Old 05-10-2018, 02:49 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,075,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Having alcohol in the system,to a level of being intoxicated, means that someone is drunk. I can see being fired for being drunk at work. Just like a DUI - failing the test means the are drunk.

However, someone can fail a pot test without being high because pot stays in the body for many weeks after use, long after the high wore off.
Either way, I am out. We may devise better systems to determine influence but making pot legal isn't going to over ride the rules set up by employers.

17,320 posts, read 11,192,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Using cannabis or alcohol does not necessarily prevent someone from being employed. It depends on the profession.
It depends on the company and who they choose to hire. Even big box stores won't higher people that test positive for pot.

3,129 posts, read 1,326,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It's not difficult at all and companies will never need to remove pot tests as an employment requirement as long as pot is Federally illegal. It's pretty simple. Federal law trumps State law. There's no if ands or buts.
New bill would prohibit employers from firing workers based solely on positive marijuana tests - Boulder Weekly

https://www.jacksonlewis.com/publica...osed-employers

https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news...esting-for-thc

Federal legislation has also been introduced to fight this, but I don't think there are any current bills. But it's just a matter of time.

Those look like ifs, ands, and buts to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies