Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2018, 11:39 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,406,067 times

Advertisements

Great economy in Minnesota right?

Why are these 9 Burger Kings filing for bankruptcy, lease issues? I think not.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twinciti...-close-in.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 11:39 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Lutheran Social Services is funded by charitable and corporate grants (i.e. Minnesota residents and businesses in Minnesota) and also reimbursed out of the Minnesota state coffers for certain social services.

So your daughter moved to Minnesota and was impressed by the people she met. Hmmm.

Depending on how they were raised, some are amazed to be around people who treat each other decently.
And that's what happens in EVERY STATE! LSS also gets federal grants.

Yeah, I'm Cruella De Ville! The bold is quite an example of "Minnesota Nice", not.

In any event, I did not say she was impressed by the people, just that she swallowed this crap about how Minnesota is so much better than Wisconsin.

No comment about the wonderful Minnesotans who suggested my other daughter vote TWICE in one election so she could vote for Walter Mondale?

Old 05-14-2018, 11:46 AM

51,619 posts, read 25,681,640 times
Calm down. Calm down. It's okay.

We're talking about the differences, economic and so forth, between Minnesota and Wisconsin.

One difference is that the people in Minnesota fulfill a commitment to taking care of the less fortunate.

Wisconsin, not so much.

Many of the less fortunate come to Minnesota where Lutheran Social Services, supported by Minnesotans, assists state and county services in giving the less fortunate a helping hand.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I'm surprised it was so difficult to figure out. But in the interest of helping the less fortunate, I'll give it another go

The Mayo Clinic is a nonprofit academic medical center based in Rochester, Minnesota. It is focused on integrated clinical practice, education, and research. It is a huge campus where people fly in from all over the world for diagnosis and treatment.

The Mayo Clinic Health System has expanded to include outreach clinics, many which seem to deal with specific ailments. But there is nothing like the Mayo Clinic in Wisconsin, not even close.

The UW medical center in Madison has a fine reputation. But it doesn't hold a candle to the Mayo Clinic.

FYI: Madison, WI is liberal area.
My, my, what examples we're seeing of "Minnesota Nice" today!

Mayo is one of a kind, and probably the "big Kahuna" for that medical model. However, as so many Minnesotans in their bubble seem not to understand, it is not the only "clinic" of that kind. A few that come to mind right off the top of my head are Cleveland Clinic in (surprise!) Cleveland and Marshfield Clinic in Marshfield, Wisconsin. (And you didn't think there was an equivalent in Wisconsin.)
https://www.marshfieldclinic.org/ In fact, Marshfield is a partner in the Vaccine Safety Datalink which studies vaccine safety. Mayo is not.
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/en...vsd/index.html
And the University of Wisconsin has its clinics as well, which serve low income people. Then there's this "Harvard Pilgrim" I found on the VSD site. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvar...im_Health_Care "Harvard Pilgrim is home to the Harvard Pilgrim Health Care Institute, a collaboration with Harvard Medical School." Couldn't possibly be as good as Mayo. /s
https://www.uwhealth.org/locations/main/10372
And then there is the Kaiser health system all over the western US.

I don't think you understand the health care system.

I'd certainly disagree that UW doesn't hold a candle to Mayo. That's part of that "Minnesota Delusion".

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 05-14-2018 at 12:09 PM..

Old 05-14-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:

We're talking about the differences, economic and so forth, between Minnesota and Wisconsin.

One difference is that the people in Minnesota fulfill a commitment to taking care of the less fortunate.

Wisconsin, not so much.

Many of the less fortunate come to Minnesota where Lutheran Social Services, supported by Minnesotans, assists state and county services in giving the less fortunate a helping hand.
Bull. Now you're being condescending, as well as "Minnesota Unnice". Here's the website for LSS Wisconsin:
https://www.lsswis.org/LSS.htm

Here's Colorado's for that matter:
https://www.lfsrm.org/

That's the problem with Minnesotans. They're in this bubble; they have no idea this stuff is going on everywhere in the US. They're not as flipping unique as they think. Although, no one has ever suggested voting twice in any state I've ever lived in, not even Illinois.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:30 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,578,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
So besides more bars and more smokers and the fact that Duluth is quite a bit larger, what are the differences?
You can buy liquor in Wisconsin on Sunday. In Minnesota you cannot.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Oh sure, liberals better at destroying cities than fixing them. That's why the most famous cities in US are all liberal cities.

Detroit - run continuously by Democrats since 1962.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Washington state is a good example, when the Rs were in control the state struggled and the joke slowly became "out one out of seattle turn off the lights." But as the dems gained more power and the cons moderated the state kept doing better.
One of you fellow residents said the "turn off the lights' was due to the federal government cutting off funding for the Boeing SST. Go read the previous posts here.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:41 PM

31,990 posts, read 34,536,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
If a city wants to have their own higher minimum wage I fully support it.

It's when idiots proposing hikes to the national minimum wage to put it in line with what you need to make in San Fran or NYC that people recognizing the cost of living disparity vs. small town Iowa balk.

When the cost of living is 2.5x higher in San Fran than rural fly-over country, trying to increase the min wage by forcing the federal wage to $15 or higher is a cheap political stunt meant to create opposition due to the obvious stupidity of the proposal so that the proposers can then create a false wedge issue.
How much have you read about the economic logic of instituting a $15 federal minimum wage? And by "read," I don't mean reading a short article.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:09 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,431,094 times
Quote:

Wisconsin, not so much.

wow you are very full of your self

I have been to Minneapolis about a dozen times for military business... great town, great people... and the appearance was not very liberal, more conservative, and very white also

my only issue with Minnesota is the cold..just too darn cold

been to Milwaukee also about a dozen times, like any major city it has its good parts and its bad parts, there is a great Irish B&B pub in downtown

Milwaukee also a lot of society attractions like plays, sports, museums, etc

so to sit on your high horse, and lie about another state, pounding you chest say how great Minnesota is compared to its neighbor of Wisconsin...is very elitist...

which is to be expected from the typically elitist liberals who think they are better than everyone else, and CONSTANTLY put down any red state they can mention, even their next door neighbor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies