Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 05:52 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,504,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
As some of you may know I have posted many messages on here critical of guns, the NRA and of gun cultural. Yet, just today I received a letter at my office from none other then the NRA. What is alarming about this is:

1.) I only post messages on City-Data from my office, of which I am not listed on the address. The letter was addressed to me and sent to my office. The IP location from which I post on City-Data.

2.) The only other mail I personally receive to my work location are a handful of items related to business that I specifically signed up for. None of which are political in nature. The other people that work at my address with me did not receive a similar letter. One of which is a registered gun owner.

2.) I am not nor have I ever been a gun owner.

3.) Nobody else in my building received a similar letter.

4.) I'm Middle Eastern and a registered democrat, hardly the NRA's target audience.

5.) I don't debate, write, talk, blog or any other form of electronic communication in relation to gun control, except on this forum.

6.) My criticisms of the NRA and guns is not widely know amongst friends and family.

If this was sent to my home address I wouldn't be alarmed since I would assume its just mass marketing but the fact it was sent to a listed business and the location from which I have posted messages on here critical of the NRA is rather dubious.

The letter came with a membership form for the NRA and a bunch of coupons for free gun related accessories. So I am pretty confident its not a prank.

Should I be alarmed by this or is it a very very strange coincidence? Also read the letter if you can, its absolute unhinged.

I bet there is more than one NRA member watching and participating in this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 06:22 PM

30,226 posts, read 23,643,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
As some of you may know I have posted many messages on here critical of guns, the NRA and of gun cultural. Yet, just today I received a letter at my office from none other then the NRA. What is alarming about this is:

1.) I only post messages on City-Data from my office, of which I am not listed on the address. The letter was addressed to me and sent to my office. The IP location from which I post on City-Data.

2.) The only other mail I personally receive to my work location are a handful of items related to business that I specifically signed up for. None of which are political in nature. The other people that work at my address with me did not receive a similar letter. One of which is a registered gun owner.

2.) I am not nor have I ever been a gun owner.

3.) Nobody else in my building received a similar letter.

4.) I'm Middle Eastern and a registered democrat, hardly the NRA's target audience.

5.) I don't debate, write, talk, blog or any other form of electronic communication in relation to gun control, except on this forum.

6.) My criticisms of the NRA and guns is not widely know amongst friends and family.

If this was sent to my home address I wouldn't be alarmed since I would assume its just mass marketing but the fact it was sent to a listed business and the location from which I have posted messages on here critical of the NRA is rather dubious.

The letter came with a membership form for the NRA and a bunch of coupons for free gun related accessories. So I am pretty confident its not a prank.

Should I be alarmed by this or is it a very very strange coincidence? Also read the letter if you can, its absolute unhinged.
Hey! NRA! If you're reading, can I have some of those coupons?

Old 05-11-2018, 06:26 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,215,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I bet there is more than one NRA member watching and participating in this forum.
Who cares?

If they are that paranoid and that desperate for membership, they should just open a kiosk in a mall.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:41 PM

30,226 posts, read 23,643,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Who knows. This happened to me:
I have a friend Al. He had a cheating wife Beth who had affair with Chad. Chad has a wife Doris.
Doris showed up on my linkedin suggestions even though:
I have never net either chad or doris.
I have never dealt with either chad or doris.
Neither chad nor doris are in my industry or anything related.
Chad and doris are 600 miles away.
I never looked up chad or doris on linkedin

That one freaked me out.
How about this one:

In the past, most spam mail I got was "from" an old friend's name, or my brother's name, as I have emailed them in the past. It became clear that Google sold my information as well as my contacts info.

Recently, a neighbor's adult daughter was helping me with rides to/from mechanic when I was getting my car fixed. Because of this, she and I would text back and forth about it. Her name is..."Jasmine".

I hardly ever use the phone, let alone text, and I never go online on my phone, so my phone and my email address are in no way connected by me.

Now, all of a sudden, all of the spam email I get is from "Jasmine" despite me never once emailing "Jasmine", the neighbor's daughter.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:47 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,602,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Happens all the time, don't sweat it. If it came with a pre-paid return envelope, send it back empty - makes the NRA pay for two stamps.
Better yet, tape a brick to it and they will have to pay the extra postage. They have some nerve.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:57 PM

50,153 posts, read 46,811,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I received the same letter. It's 2 and a half pages long with a membership form and an offer for a free NRA duffle bag if you sign up. I'm certainly not "alarmed" about it. It's about as threatening as an offer for a magazine subscription.

I don't recall specifically posting on any NRA threads. I did post in the "Yeti" thread, but about coolers, not the NRA.
That dufflebag is rather flimsy but whatevs.

Old 05-12-2018, 06:30 AM

18,579 posts, read 10,582,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Or you're just a victim of mass mailing. Check under your bed when you get home.
LOL, good one! +1

Old 05-12-2018, 06:58 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,504,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Who cares?

If they are that paranoid and that desperate for membership, they should just open a kiosk in a mall.

Who cares.... You do.
Or you would not have wasted your precious time here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies