Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 12:49 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

...there’s PLENTY of cash just laying around.

AT&T had $600k to toss at Michael Cohen for influence peddling, and Cohen isn’t even a lobbyist. NOR is he experienced in acquisitions and mergers, which is also what he was paid to “advise on.”

But large corporations needed a big tax cut, right? Because our corporate environment is stifling innovation and making business very difficult to do in this country.

But there’s 600k just sitting in a drawer somewhere to toss at someone that can’t even do what you hired him for. Amazing.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/05/1...me-warner.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 12:53 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Yeah, it's that 600k that put you over the edge. Give me a break. Democrats take bribes, I mean lobbyist money daily and have been forever and all of a sudden here you are complaining over a measly 600k.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:17 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Yeah, it's that 600k that put you over the edge. Give me a break. Democrats take bribes, I mean lobbyist money daily and have been forever and all of a sudden here you are complaining over a measly 600k.
600k is probably 10 Times your net worth. When did 600k become chump change? If someone told you that they paid that much in income tax, you’d be apoplectic about how extortionate that amount is.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:21 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
No one at AT&T ever got a raise?

Old 05-11-2018, 01:24 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
...there’s PLENTY of cash just laying around.

AT&T had $600k to toss at Michael Cohen for influence peddling, and Cohen isn’t even a lobbyist. NOR is he experienced in acquisitions and mergers, which is also what he was paid to “advise on.”

But large corporations needed a big tax cut, right? Because our corporate environment is stifling innovation and making business very difficult to do in this country.

But there’s 600k just sitting in a drawer somewhere to toss at someone that can’t even do what you hired him for. Amazing.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/05/1...me-warner.html

This is all explained in the Wharton School of Business course: Swamp Procedures 601

Old 05-11-2018, 01:24 PM

609 posts, read 303,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
600k is probably 10 Times your net worth. When did 600k become chump change? If someone told you that they paid that much in income tax, you’d be apoplectic about how extortionate that amount is.
AT&T has over 250,000 employees. $600k / 250000 = $2.40 each i.e. chump change. Sorry to ruin your rant with some math

Old 05-11-2018, 01:37 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Glad you're able to take a pummeling because I see people are already giving it to you. But I'm with you on this.

Guys, it's not about $600K. That's just one transaction. The influence that corrupt corporations and industries have on our (even more) corrupt government has gotten out of control. Lawyers from both actually write some of the bills that they get someone to sponsor. And it's all tilted in favor of them and results in screwing the consumer.

DD is correct. Companies are giving out chintzy raises while pouring millions into politicians, lobbyists, etc. in DC.

EVERYONE should be outraged by this - it impacts all of us. Twice. First as employees and again as consumers.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:42 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,440,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Glad you're able to take a pummeling because I see people are already giving it to you. But I'm with you on this.

Guys, it's not about $600K. That's just one transaction. The influence that corrupt corporations and industries have on our (even more) corrupt government has gotten out of control. Lawyers from both actually write some of the bills that they get someone to sponsor. And it's all tilted in favor of them and results in screwing the consumer.

DD is correct. Companies are giving out chintzy raises while pouring millions into politicians, lobbyists, etc. in DC.

EVERYONE should be outraged by this - it impacts all of us. Twice. First as employees and again as consumers.
Why weren't you outraged two weeks ago?

Did ya'll just find out that corporations spend money on lobbyists?

Surely no American is that ignorant.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:45 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Cohen wasn't a registered lobbyist and taking money to influence pedal without having to follow any of the laws and regulations that govern lobbyists is illegal. I'm surprised with Mr. Trump yapping on and on about pay-to-pay---which is what's going on here---that you're so blase about it. What happened to the idea of draining the swamp? Instead of doing that, we're seeing it being restocked at record speed.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:50 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Goodness, how loudly and frequently the right screamed about "pay to play" as it related to Hillary Clinton, but when showed unquestionable evidence of "pay to play" with Donald Trump, suddenly they're all, "Meh, who cares?"

It's amazing how Trump can do everything they complained incessantly about with other politicians, but they simply don't bat an eye at it when he does it.

Hypocrisy is obviously a prerequisite to being a conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies